another paint defect issue on 2013 ram sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
hello,
just purchased a new 2013 ram sport black crew 4x4 with 16km that arived at the dealer 3 days before i got it, drove it home and parked it, set out yesterday to clay bar, detail and wax it, it was during this process i discovered several light scratches, a few loose bottom trims, 2 gouges about an inch long on the bottom of the door loose tail light and rough dust in the paint on 2 spots on the top of the fender...all of this is on the same side of the truck...not impressed. am i right to say dust particles would not be in the paint from the factory? i guess they will fill and repaint bottom of door. they tell me the truck was never touched but i think it came in damaged and they repaired it??? how would i find out if it left the factory like this or dealer covered up?
thanks

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really don't have an answer here but when I worked at a Dodge dealership it was very common for trucks to have "rail dust" imbedded in the paint. The paint being soft, fresh then a ride on a dusty rail train can make for some rough dust in the paint. It usually came out with clay and full detail but not always. Those train rides can be rough on a new truck/car. Just an idea here and I don't even know if you're was transported by rail but it's a thought. Sorry about your issues.

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ramunit makes a good point..... But I can understand where your coming from. If I had a new truck the last thing I would expect is for there to be a poor paint job. If you pay all of thay money for a truck you shouldnt have to worry about that already. You are not wrong at all for being upset about that. Next time I go to the dealer to look around just for fun thinking one day I can afford that $65k cummins they have, I am going to look at the pain because I never looked close at it.
Mine is an 04 and it has some scratches from the precious owner and eventually I would like a fresh paint job but other than that the paint is in very good condition.

I have heard on other ram forums that people had been having paint issues so I dont think you are alone on this one

Keep detailing it and hopefully it comes out. Wish you the best!!

CaliDodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 4th gens have been having paint problems since they came out, its a very big mistake on dodge in my opinion.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
It is common practice for dealers to touch up damaged cars when the arrive at their dealership.

My neighbor has "COLORS ON PARADE " franchise in my area.

That's how he makes a living repairing damaged new cars when they arrive.

He has local ford,dodge,nissan that he travels to weekly.

He also has several big used car dealers he does work for in my area.

He charges like $500.00 + for a spot blend.

Regards
Don

Last edited:
OP
OP

4sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
thanks, going back to the dealer next week for them to look at it...they told me they would look after what ever issues I have.