Anti idling laws?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishhaggis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really interested in the Ramcharger and envisioning how this truck would meet my needs as a truck owner. Does the Ramcharger engine run to charge up the system even when the vehicle is parked? If so, wondering if that would run up against all those anti-idling laws. Envisioning me hauling my boat, pulling in to a rest stop and the engine runs to charge the battery while I am in for a coffee. Would suck getting a ticket under the anti-idling laws. This may be a non issue, but if it could be an issue, a lot of anti-idling laws need to be amended.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The engine will start/stop on it's own to charge the battery. An argument could be made that the vehicle is changing itself if it's running and not something that's controllable. More than likely any heating/cooling function will be all electric so the engine running while stationary will be minimal.
Chances are if a ticket was written, the LEO is probably in a bad mood or you pissed him/her off.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So glad we don't have those laws where I live. But I'm thinking this could be a bit of a grey area. The engine on the Ramchager is powering a generator. The argument could be made that it's a generator engine and doesn't directly power the vehicle. Do they allow gas powered generators in places that have those kinds of laws?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At least where I am, most anti idling laws are for diesel trucks over a certain GVWR, not gas vehicles.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
We have those stupid bylaws in Edmonton too but I have never heard of anyone ever getting a ticket. The motor won’t be idling it is powering the generator so you would think it would be above an idle. So asto be in its most efficient power band

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
They allow the small diesel engine to run if you are driving a refrigerated trailer & to keep the APU, ( cabs & sleeper compartment climates ), working in semi trucks, during times when the Main engine is shut down.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I'm sure this will vary wildly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but *typically* non-CMV passenger vehicles are exempt in the US (no idea about Canada). DC for example:

The only exceptions are as follows:

• Private non-commercial passenger vehicles are exempt.
  • When temperatures are below 32 degrees Fahrenheit, vehicles may idle for no more than five minutes.
  • Engines may idle when they are necessary for the operation of power takeoff equipment such as dumping beds, cement mixers, refrigeration systems, content delivery equipment, winches, or shredders.

And MA:

Additional devices, or auxiliary power units: Refrigerator units on trucks withperishable goods or vehicles operating special equipment, such as a lift on theback of a truck to move goods in and out of the truck or wheelchair lifts in busesor vans that may require engine power to operate are common examples ofequipment that are operated with the engine power. Another example mightinclude “bucket” trucks that allow a worker to reach wires on telephone poles ortree branches for trimming.

Both would seem to exclude an onboard generator, but for different reasons.

I suspect it will be a non-issue for the vast vast majority, but if you're concerned your area has an ordinance against it I'd seek clarification from the appropriate agency directly vs a generic response online.