Anti-slip differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rafke77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,
I am a first time 2500 Laramie owner. I bought a new 2017 1500 Sport in September 2016, I had ordered it earlier in the year. With that truck I had purchased the anti-slip rear differential with the four-wheel drive option. In that truck, next to the shifter knob was the rear lock button along with four wheel auto. In the new 2500 which I ordered earlier this year, I do not have a rear lock button or four-wheel Auto. I just have two wheel drive along with four high and four low. Did they get rid of the option to manually turn the anti-slip on and off?

I also noticed while I was trying to find this information and searching on the internet, some of the laramie's have a column shifter as opposed to the dial. Is this because of the different transmission, I got the 8 speed with mine.

Edit, attached window sticker

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220816-115635~2.png
    Screenshot_20220816-115635~2.png
    453 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I don't think the HDs ever had a four-wheel auto tranny, only the 8 speed 1500s. The four-wheel auto is possible with the clutch driven transfer case, the HDs are gear or chain driven.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
The gas trucks with the 8HP75 get the puck shifter, other transmissions get the column shifter.
The anti-spin rear end automatically engages so there is no turning it on or off. You could opt for the power wagon and get selectable front and rear locking diffs though :) .

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you are confused. The limited slip and the 4wd auto or lock were not related. The limited slip is a clutch controlled device in the rear differential that would react to wheel speed difference from driver rear to passenger rear and would lock the rear wheels together. There was no electronic locking rear differential. The transfer case was an auto 4wd which had a clutch type device that would react to forward and rear wheel speed difference and would lock the front to the rear. Your 2500 has a part time 4wd transfer case and a limited slip rear differential. The part time 4wd Is always locked front and rear when engaged in 4wd high or low. The rear differential is a Torsen or gear style in the 2500 which is stronger than the clutch style in the 1500 but reacts the same way.

OP
OP
Rafke77

Rafke77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you are confused. The limited slip and the 4wd auto or lock were not related. The limited slip is a clutch controlled device in the rear differential that would react to wheel speed difference from driver rear to passenger rear and would lock the rear wheels together. There was no electronic locking rear differential. The transfer case was an auto 4wd which had a clutch type device that would react to forward and rear wheel speed difference and would lock the front to the rear. Your 2500 has a part time 4wd transfer case and a limited slip rear differential. The part time 4wd Is always locked front and rear when engaged in 4wd high or low. The rear differential is a Torsen or gear style in the 2500 which is stronger than the clutch style in the 1500 but reacts the same way.
I believe I am a little confused, I just remember that button on my 1500, I had ordered it with the anti spin rear differential. I assumed that had to do with turning on and off the anti-spin differential and was expecting the same in the 2500. I believe that was just the traction control button I confused it with now that I think about it.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the knowledgeable responses!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I believe I am a little confused, I just remember that button on my 1500, I had ordered it with the anti spin rear differential. I assumed that had to do with turning on and off the anti-spin differential and was expecting the same in the 2500. I believe that was just the traction control button I confused it with now that I think about it.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the knowledgeable responses!
Are you sure you're not thinking of the traction control button.It has nothing to do with turning the limited slip on or off though.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Limited slip is not something you can turn on and off. It just reacts on it's own. It's nothing to do with 4WD.

4Auto is available on the clutch driven transfer cases and, when engaged, turns on 4wd when needed and turns it off when not.

4lock is the old "4 hi", always in 4wd but no gear multiplication. 4 lo is the same, but with gear multiplication. I'm not sure the ratio on your truck.

Traction Control is the electronic answer. The computer detects wheels slipping and reacts to attempt to send torque to wheels with traction.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

I read they changed HD truck rear axle from torsen all gear anti-spin to a cheaper, typical clutch pack limited slip. OP has a model year 2022. I read that in these forums somewhere. True? Did they just slap a Dana axle in there in place of the rugged AAM axle?

Gen IV HD like my model year 2017 truck (Ram 2500) does indeed have the AAM rear axle with torsen all-gear 'anti-spin' differential, tradename "Trac-Rite".

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes, it's true. The 18' and earlier had the Torsten. The 19' and newer have a clutch/plate rear. They both work just fine and do pretty much the same thing. Beware though... 4wd and limited slip rear can't overcome driver stupidity.... Digging a 1 ton truck out of a snow drift sucks....

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Yes, it's true. The 18' and earlier had the Torsten. The 19' and newer have a clutch/plate rear. They both work just fine and do pretty much the same thing. Beware though... 4wd and limited slip rear can't overcome driver stupidity.... Digging a 1 ton truck out of a snow drift sucks....
Digging a 1 ton truck out of soft desert sand also sucks....

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There was no electronic locking rear differential.
I think there was, at least on the 2019 Gen5 1500s. I remember when buying my 2019 there was an option to have either a limited-slip differential (which I have) or an electronic locking one, but obviously not both. Not that it helps OP, but others have already answered marvelously.

OP
OP
Rafke77

Rafke77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 3.73 rear. And yes, I was wrong in how I was thinking. I thought the traction control button, was what turned on the limited slip...

Thanks all for the knowledge! Hopefully getting stuck in either sand or snow won't be a problem.. I plan on baby'ing this beautiful beast. We bought it for a future camper to tow around. I've never been in a truck with so many features and comfort like this.

I'm just glad I understand a little more about it now!

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think there was, at least on the 2019 Gen5 1500s. I remember when buying my 2019 there was an option to have either a limited-slip differential (which I have) or an electronic locking one, but obviously not both. Not that it helps OP, but others have already answered marvelously.
Yes. The gen 5 1500 had the off-road package which has an electronic locking rear differential.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a 2022, and was under it recently checking the fluid levels on the diffs. They were still AAM, at least the castings had their logo on them.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes. The gen 5 1500 had the off-road package which has an electronic locking rear differential.
I am not 100% sure, but I believe my 21 Classic has electronic locking front, but no slip diff in the back. :(

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not 100% sure, but I believe my 21 Classic has electronic locking front, but no slip diff in the back. :(
It does not have a locking front. The ram 1500 is not offered with a locking front. The trx doesn’t even offer a front locker. Only a rear lsd or rear e locker. It was never an option in the ram 1500.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Not unless you have something aftermarket, and that would probably include an axle swap since I don't think there's any ready solutions for an e-locker for the OEM front.

E-lockers are selectable, so you'd have a switch to lock it and unlock it.