Any 6.4s with dual exhaust and tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Getting the itch for mods, more then likely waiting on tax return and bonus check. First truck I've owned that doesn't have duals on it, been shopping around and listening to sound clips etc. Curious to any of you that have dual exhaust 6.4s how the sound is when towing? I would be shooting for duals out the side to help with some of the towing noise, but wondering how loud / annoying duals would be for me towing a 30' travel trailer? So far in our first full year of camping furthest we towed is about 4.5hrs from home.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I'm running the Mufflex DOD250035 with no resonator and have towed a few times with it and didn't notice any drone. Not sure if adding duals would change anything.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
I'm running the Mufflex DOD250035 with no resonator and have towed a few times with it and didn't notice any drone. Not sure if adding duals would change anything.

I have been mean to ask this...aside from a better sounding truck, does replacing the stock muffler with the Mufflex provide any other benefits i.e. power, crisper response, fuel economy, etc...?
Or does it take anything away from the truck?

In regards to the dual out the back, buddy with a 1500 with aftermarket mufflers while towing is kind of annoying, I am sure side exit would be a much better choice.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I gained about 1 mpg city. I don't drive enough Highway to get a good calculation on any improvement. Definitely haven't loss anything. I have mine dumped just over the rear axle. I cut about 2" behind the resonator and just left it.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
I gained about 1 mpg city. I don't drive enough Highway to get a good calculation on any improvement. Definitely haven't loss anything. I have mine dumped just over the rear axle. I cut about 2" behind the resonator and just left it.

Is the sound overbearing or a nice subtle V8 sound?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
At first I thought it was going to be too loud but it's mellowed out very nice. I can't get a good in cab sound clip but it's not over barring. with light to moderate throttle with the windows up you can hardly tell it's their.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
At first I thought it was going to be too loud but it's mellowed out very nice. I can't get a good in cab sound clip but it's not over barring. with light to moderate throttle with the windows up you can hardly tell it's their.

Thanks.

And sorry for the hijack on the original question!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I wanted to do duals but couldn't due to the self leveling rear suspension system...no room on the driver's side to pass any pipe.

So I added a Magnaflow muffler and chopped off the rear resonator. I was a bit concerned about MDS drone but it's not bad at all. Has a nice low burble when runnin' at freeway speeds and when you step on it, it sounds great.

No real benefit that I've been able to discern. I'd like to add a cold air intake and a programmer. My experience with two other HEMI powered rigs leads me to believe I'll really experience a difference in how the truck runs, responds to throttle inputs and a slight increase in MPG at highway speeds.

OP
OP
mtu1293

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still have yet to pull the trigger on exhaust work - lol. Not looking too much for performance, mainly a little more exgressive sound, but any performance gains would also be nice. I just have the feeling with pulling our 30' TT a lot (normal trips are min 2hrs, up to 5hrs so far), that with duals it could get quite annoying in the cab noise wise (mainly for the wife - lol).

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
My wife and I just bought a 31' TT and the sound from the exhaust wasn't bad. Drone won't be an issue unless you hit a mile + long down hill stretch and you can take it out of tow/haul mode

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have the same setup as Maddog and love it. It's a very low rumble. It won't sound anything like your buddies 1500.

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
Just remember it's much louder until it breaks in. At first I was concerned I made a mistake. Once it mellowed out I don't even notice it. I get complimented on it often.

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
Sorry for three post in a row. I couldn't make it duals because their was no room for the piping underneath. When u made my 1500 duals I lost a very noticeable amount of power due to backend pressure. In the 2500 I feel like I gained something.

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the Flowmaster system duals. It comes with pipes to make it come out back or optional pipes to make it go out the sides. I did get some drone at 1500 rpm at 55 mph to 60 mph. I researched it and came up with a solution ( helmholtz resonator). I have a buddy with a shop and we ended up making one and now my exhaust is perfect. I also felt a slight improvement in over all performance. Love the sound!

OP
OP
mtu1293

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Flowmaster system duals. It comes with pipes to make it come out back or optional pipes to make it go out the sides. I did get some drone at 1500 rpm at 55 mph to 60 mph. I researched it and came up with a solution ( helmholtz resonator). I have a buddy with a shop and we ended up making one and now my exhaust is perfect. I also felt a slight improvement in over all performance. Love the sound!

Yeah been debating the flowmaster, wish Borla or Magnaflow would make a dual out the side exhaust for our trucks. I'm not as concerned with the drone, as I am the higher rpms when towing. Lot more hills it seems when we are in Upper Michigan, and interstate towing at those speeds might be somewhat loud. Shoot we average about 75mph towing on the interstate (time to upgrade camper tires to the 99mph ones as a precaution). Again if just me in the truck noise wouldn't be an issue, but I know I will get "that look" from the wife if she starts getting annoyed with the sound - lol.

Got a local shop I may swing by and talk to once tax return season to see what they can do. Though debating getting the AEV winch bumper first - decisions, decisions.......

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
At 75 mph almost can't hear it. When I crank it up anywhere it always turns heads! Love it! Before with the stock exhaust it was embarrassing. Did not even sound like a truck. My girlfriends 1500 with stock duals sounded meaner!

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I wish there was a way to get duels out both sides right before the rear axle. That big ass fuel tank is in the way of that set up. If I remember right the mid-seventy Power Wagons had it that way. I remember a local farmer pulled up in his new one & had that set up & I thought it was so cool.:waytogo: Of coarse I was about 8 at the time so anything like that was cool! :Big Laugh: