Any advice on this truck? (I am considering purchase as a daily driver) but new to the truck life. Thank you for your time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn’t consider anything 20 years old to be a good candidate for a daily driver, without knowing its maintenance history. Chances are good it will be ripe for additional costs in repairs or maintenance. Are you depending on it, or is it going to be a spare?

It’s worth a look, but needs an inspection by a knowledgeable person. Can’t be done from by internet consultation.

OP
OP
N

NewtotrucksTexas

Reaction score
Great point, planned on taking it to a mechanic for evaluation. But figured the indivudals here could gauge if it was even worth that! Thanks

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check engine light is on, also its going to need a thorough going over, Tires, front end, brakes, exhaust, body looks good, frame being from Texas not rusted or very little, under the hood, Radiator, hoses, belts, filters, tune up parts, how does the engine oil and trans oil look like.
Passenger door damage left rear bumper crease, driver's side, driver's seat damage.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it's mostly rust free, I'd definitely consider it. I buy most of my vehicles around 100K miles, they're cheap! I do all the basic maintenance because it's almost never been done (belt, pulleys, hoses, all fluids and filters changed, spark plugs, brakes, etc).
97K is ready for another 100K and you're only out a few grand. Slap some seat covers in there and drive the heck out of it.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
97K on a TX truck. Was it always in TX, or come from rust belt?

If U buy, talk them down from the 4K, citing U need to do MX: Serpentine, filters, oil, brakes, seat covers, etc etc,. For just a DD in and around town with a 6 cylinder motor, may be OK. Check engine light on: Need to run codes. NOW: Those older RAMS had Tranny issues, usually around 100K. U need to get the trans checked also: New/rebuilt/original, and serviced. Just saying. Depending upon where U R, are U in a TX County that does emission testing? Gotta watch that too especially with engine MIL light on.

NOTE: I do not know a lot about the older 3.7L Magnum 6 cylinder as opposed to the newer Pentastar 3.6L 6 cylinder. Someone else would have to chime in on that motor.

Going to a 20 year old vehicle, definitely talk down from 4K. Going to 20 year old beater, even RCSB, dunno if I would fork out 4K. U R rolling the dice on this, but your money and ultimately your decision. Don't let Internet Guessnosis sway U either way? Get all checked out and make decision.

All above IMHO.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
NOTE: I do not know a lot about the older 3.7L Magnum 6 cylinder as opposed to the newer Pentastar 3.6L 6 cylinder. Someone else would have to chime in on that motor.
It's the 4.7's baby brother, as such it suffers most (if not all) of the same issues common to that engine family. As compared to a Pentastar (DOHC & 292-305 hp), it's SOHC and only 210-215 hp (depending on application).

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, per the thread, the OP was looking on thoughts ref buying a 20 YOA truck with that motor as per post #1. Me thinks 4K too much for 20 YOA, and the Dodge issues on the tranny in those year, and I posted same, but what do I know.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Take a mechanic with you

That drivers seat looks wore through
That alone is $100 - 150. dollar repair

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Ad says "Sold" now.
Brought back bad memories. I had a '03 2500 Hemi that broke a valve spring and dropped the valve and bent it. Ditched that thing when it got running again.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just reading this. I loved my old v6, ran like a charm and more than enough power to drive around. I carried some stuff, didn't tow to much. If I can across a decent one like that for the price, I might pick it up and do a little cosmetics inside. Best thing is spend a few hundred to have a mechanic do a complete review.