Any Alternatives to the Factory Remote Start/wireless key? Not Keyless Enter and Go. I do not want Keyless Enter and Go

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I have to replace the ignition switch (see picture) on my 2016 Ram 2500. I can still start the truck and go but the key does not stay in the module - I broke it. Now I just put the key in the module, turn to start and then put the key in the console and go.

I do not want to add a factory keyless enter and go. I'm looking for something simple.

I would like a push start button but I do not know if that is possible.

My understanding is that the module below is the one that recognizes the key that allows for remote start and key recognition.

This is the push to start module:

So are there any interesting alternatives to the module below? If so, please direct me to a site with the part.

Thanks

a80db7a1b9bd266515e0a2f5e7eb4a3a.jpg

Last edited:

madpuma13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You say you don't want keyless enter n go but then say you want a push start button.

Are you aware you can just add the 'n go' part of keyless enter n go and ask that is the push button start only?

It requires you to replace that ignition you posted with the push button start, replace the radio freq hub, wire it together and program it. Then you're done.

With all the parts at the ready it took me about 1.5 hours to do it. The longest portion of that was taking the back seats out and replacing them. If it wasn't for that it would have been half the time.

Not sure of any other options.

OP
OP
Z

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
You say you don't want keyless enter n go but then say you want a push start button.

Are you aware you can just add the 'n go' part of keyless enter n go and ask that is the push button start only?

It requires you to replace that ignition you posted with the push button start, replace the radio freq hub, wire it together and program it. Then you're done.

With all the parts at the ready it took me about 1.5 hours to do it. The longest portion of that was taking the back seats out and replacing them. If it wasn't for that it would have been half the time.

Not sure of any other options.
Why does the Freq hub have to be replaced? I have keyless entry and remote start; if that helps.

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Why does the Freq hub have to be replaced? I have keyless entry and remote start; if that helps.
You also need two in cabin antennae's that plug into the RF hub. One on the back wall and one under the driver side dash. As I understand there's different versions of the hub and if your truck didn't come with the push start then the hub won't recognize the antennae's and settings from BCM.

Edit: There's a pretty large and thorough thread in the DIY section on installing the keyless enter and go.

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In order to have a push button ignition, your truck will require two interior antennas that are used to recognize when the fob is in the truck and allow you to start it. Those antennas are wired back to your RF Hub. If your truck did not come with push button start, the RF Hub you have will not have a spot to connect the wiring from the antennas.

OP
OP
Z

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
You also need two in cabin antennae's that plug into the RF hub. One on the back wall and one under the driver side dash. As I understand there's different versions of the hub and if your truck didn't come with the push start then the hub won't recognize the antennae's and settings from BCM.

Edit: There's a pretty large and thorough thread in the DIY section on installing the keyless enter and go.
I read that thread and the installation is more then I want to do. I was hoping that considering I have remote start there might be an easier solution.

OP
OP
Z

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
In order to have a push button ignition, your truck will require two interior antennas that are used to recognize when the fob is in the truck and allow you to start it. Those antennas are wired back to your RF Hub. If your truck did not come with push button start, the RF Hub you have will not have a spot to connect the wiring from the antennas.

I guess I don't understand why I need all that if I have remote start. The truck is recognizing my fob to start it.

I guess the issue is that the ignition module I have has what the RF hub has. So if I get rid of the ignition module I need to replace it with the RF hub.

Thanks for the reply.

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I don't understand why I need all that if I have remote start. The truck is recognizing my fob to start it.

I guess the issue is that the ignition module I have has what the RF hub has. So if I get rid of the ignition module I need to replace it with the RF hub.

Thanks for the reply.
Because remote start and push button start are two completely different things. One you use the remote to send a signal to the truck to start. The other, the truck has to recognize the fob is inside the truck to allow you to turn it on. The rf hub you have in the truck now is incapable of recognizing that the fob is in the truck.