any recommendations for decent Tap & Die set?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I love me some HF I just have trust issues because I got burned a few times with the precision tools. Fool me 7 times shame on me

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Their precision tool quality has improved recently I think it’s a new supplier.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
^^^have noticed the same thing. Now have several Pittsburgh hand tools. Found their ratchets to be very good quality and they offer unique selection of style. HF has become my new don't need it but got to have it stop and see. Their commercial casters are quality and about 40% less than the hardware store.

OP
OP
Nick_rp

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Their precision tool quality has improved recently I think it’s a new supplier.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road
Yea the tools are getting better, even bought me one of those $30 cordless drills, Warrior, I think. Its decent for around the house but too much torque load will stop it in its tracks. Also got the 1/2 electric impact. That thing makes axle nuts it *****.

It was a couple years ago, last time I bought precision from them. If I remember right it was SAE/MET thread pitch gauge, the 6" digital caliper, radius gauges and some feeler gauges. All of them were out of spec. Caliper slide was rough and made sliding it a pain for small increments, thread pitch gauge had about a quarter of the teeth bent or missing, 2 of the radius gauges had chips in them and the feeler gauges rusted over night in my garage lol

Last edited:

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If nobody else said it, go for MAC Tool. LIFETIME warranty on everything!!!!! Including drill bits (above jewelers size), all taps and dies, even had them swap me a new body hammer due to a splintered handle. If you're doing stainless you be happy with that warranty.

BTW if you buy a good used set, like eBay for $150 - $175 you can get all the individual pieces warrantied if they need to be and end up with a brand new set :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nick_rp

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Was chatting with my supervisor and he said if I break/lose/damage any personal tools on the job, that I can order new through grainger/mcmaster on company dime. Cha ching!

So I bought a cheap $40 HF 60pc set and as they wear or break, I'll replace the bits with high quality.

Just opened the pack to do some quality control and already have 3 taps needing replaced and I'm questioning half the dies.

Later2u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Whatever set you buy, make sure it's made out of HSS and the dies are adjustable.

alittlerusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
For chasing out existing threads pretty much any brand will do but to actually make new threads u need to buy high speed steel (marked hs or hss) and use the right bit not one that’s close to expect any tool life. The rest are only for thread chasing or fishing weights. It’s also a good idea to get some bottoming taps for blind holes for the most common sizes u use. A good quality tapping oil is a must too such as tap magic.

OP
OP
Nick_rp

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
For chasing out existing threads pretty much any brand will do but to actually make new threads u need to buy high speed steel (marked hs or hss) and use the right bit not one that’s close to expect any tool life. The rest are only for thread chasing or fishing weights. It’s also a good idea to get some bottoming taps for blind holes for the most common sizes u use. A good quality tapping oil is a must too such as tap magic.
I have a nice $600 snap on extraction kit made of HSS that accidentally walked away with me after I left the military lol it was genuinely an accident at first, I got permission to take it home for a weekend, forgot about it to return it for a few days, once I brought it back they had already replaced it lol

that was in 2012, I still have it and have only had to replace 3 of the left hand drill bits.

So, I'm a fan of HSS, I just cant afford it. Well, I could but my wife is a fan of "new things". Car needs some transmission work? Wife: "time for a new car". Couch has a stain? Wife: "time for a new couch"

Its exhausting.

Thankful for my last post though ^^
I love when an employer knows how to take care of you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963