any recommendations for decent Tap & Die set?

Discussion in 'Garage' started by Nick_rp, Nov 7, 2018.

1. McBroom

McBroom U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000 Military Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4L
    Their precision tool quality has improved recently I think it’s a new supplier.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
    Blue Streak Pearl off-road

Fitz87gn likes this.
  2. Fitz87gn

Fitz87gn Veteran 66-68 Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2003 1500 & 2018 2500
    Engine:
    5.7 & 6.4
    ^^^have noticed the same thing. Now have several Pittsburgh hand tools. Found their ratchets to be very good quality and they offer unique selection of style. HF has become my new don't need it but got to have it stop and see. Their commercial casters are quality and about 40% less than the hardware store.

McBroom likes this.
  3. Nick_rp

Nick_rp Member

Ram Year:
    2012 1500
    Engine:
    5.7 Sport
    Yea the tools are getting better, even bought me one of those $30 cordless drills, Warrior, I think. Its decent for around the house but too much torque load will stop it in its tracks. Also got the 1/2 electric impact. That thing makes axle nuts it bitch.

It was a couple years ago, last time I bought precision from them. If I remember right it was SAE/MET thread pitch gauge, the 6" digital caliper, radius gauges and some feeler gauges. All of them were out of spec. Caliper slide was rough and made sliding it a pain for small increments, thread pitch gauge had about a quarter of the teeth bent or missing, 2 of the radius gauges had chips in them and the feeler gauges rusted over night in my garage lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    chrisp2493 likes this.
  4. likes2build

likes2build Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2018 Ram 1500 Express reg cab short box
    Engine:
    3.8 V6
    If nobody else said it, go for MAC Tool. LIFETIME warranty on everything!!!!! Including drill bits (above jewelers size), all taps and dies, even had them swap me a new body hammer due to a splintered handle. If you're doing stainless you be happy with that warranty.

BTW if you buy a good used set, like eBay for $150 - $175 you can get all the individual pieces warrantied if they need to be and end up with a brand new set :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  5. Nick_rp

Nick_rp Member

Ram Year:
    2012 1500
    Engine:
    5.7 Sport
    Was chatting with my supervisor and he said if I break/lose/damage any personal tools on the job, that I can order new through grainger/mcmaster on company dime. Cha ching!

So I bought a cheap $40 HF 60pc set and as they wear or break, I'll replace the bits with high quality.

Just opened the pack to do some quality control and already have 3 taps needing replaced and I'm questioning half the dies.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk