Tap & Die set recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What brands would you recommend for a good tap & die set? Don't need a super fancy set but I am looking for quality. Thanks.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have Irwin brand, they are at least 25 years old
2 cases, SAE & Metric

If i was in the market today, i would at least consider Eastwood Brand

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my opinion, if you're using them on a regular basis like say in a shop I'd highly recommend spending money on a top notch set like a snap on or similar. If you're using them occasionally in your garage for personal work then buy a set that you can afford. Like mentioned above, stay away from the cheapy harbor freight sets because you'll regret it when they break

OP
OP
T

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for the replies. Been doing some research and what I really need is a thread repair/chaser tool or set. Any thoughts on those? Situation is I've got a non-removable stud that has some damage at the beginning of the threads. Could always go with a small triangular file if needed but am looking for options. One of the universal style tools would work but I'm not finding those under any brand names when I search on-line.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If it is a stud that is sticking out, a thread file might work.

Not sure how much physical room you have to work at it, though.

20211120_045954.jpg

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I can firmly NOT rec. Harbor Freight's tap and die kit :)
Or their torx sockets lol.

Or their ________ (insert any tool).....

Sorry, hope no one gets defensive, although I'm sure some will because I know the store has loyal followers.
My brother buys their stuff as a very, very novice DIYer (nothing hard-core) because it's not always convenient to borrow things from me. There may be a small niche market for that less-than-top-quality "stuff" but beyond that it's a waste of money. It's cheap for a reason. I do buy things like tarps, extension cords, replacement sanding pads and non-critical consumables but no tool that needs to perform professionally or dependably. Just my opinion. FWIW I spent a few years in the electrical trades prior to my recent career and still do work for a contractor since I'm retired, so I know a thing or two about good tools. I also know someone can probably cite some examples of a tool they have from their that worked great for 20 years, etc. I'm just giving my opinion.

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Friends don't let friends buy Hobo Freight.

How much of the time are you actually cutting fresh threads versus chasing or repairing them? I bought a rethreader kit from Snappy, but there are obviously other worthwhile brands, and my old tap and die sets seldom see daylight now.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I buy cheap consumables from there and some dumby stuff like mallets or pry bars, ball peens, but never a power tool. Milwaukee, hiltI, dewalt, Bosch, Mac, snapon, are my preferred brands. Pretty much any name brand but chino junk. That being said, if you are not a pro doing heavy duty work, some stuff may work, but is not a good investment. My philosophy, buy it once and last a lifetime. Many old craftsman and other old American brands in my toolbox as well.

OP
OP
T

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There is a chance that I will be using them in the future at the farm so I'm not against getting a good quality system. For some more information on my current need, the stud is not replaceable so that is not an option. The thread damage is at the beginning of the stud so getting a chaser started might be an issue. I've researched some of the universal tools (with changeable thread plates). Thinking that style could be started on the stud and then backed off to clear the initial thread(s). Also wondered about buying a single chaser for now, cutting it in half, then using the two halves and a crescent wrench in combo to back the halves off and clear the thread(s).

OP
OP
T

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I solved my problem without having to buy any new tools for now by modifying a process I had seen on Youtube where a guy cut grooves in the top of a grade 8 nut to create a thread cleaner/chaser. First, I took a grade 8 nut, cut it in half (top to bottom), and used a small file to clean up some burrs. Then with some cutting oil, I would use hand pressure to move the half-nut from the middle of the stud to the beginning. There was some minor smoothing but it mainly helped me to locate the exact problem thread areas. I then used a process of alternating between a small file and the half-nut to work on the two problem areas. I subsequently took a second grade 8 nut and cut grooves across the top of it to make a cleaner/chaser nut (as was done in the video). So about 1.5 hours of careful work solved the problem. It's not perfect as I didn't want risk going too far and possibly mess something up but I was able to get the stud nut on without problem.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Or their ________ (insert any tool).....

Sorry, hope no one gets defensive, although I'm sure some will because I know the store has loyal followers.
My brother buys their stuff as a very, very novice DIYer (nothing hard-core) because it's not always convenient to borrow things from me. There may be a small niche market for that less-than-top-quality "stuff" but beyond that it's a waste of money. It's cheap for a reason. I do buy things like tarps, extension cords, replacement sanding pads and non-critical consumables but no tool that needs to perform professionally or dependably. Just my opinion. FWIW I spent a few years in the electrical trades prior to my recent career and still do work for a contractor since I'm retired, so I know a thing or two about good tools. I also know someone can probably cite some examples of a tool they have from their that worked great for 20 years, etc. I'm just giving my opinion.

most all their stuff is garbage. no secret there. their higher end tools are taiwan ,so a step up from their china crap. but for not much more money a savy buyer could probly look around online and find used snapon, mac ,matco ,sk, etc and have a far better tool

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don’t kid yourself, most tools, including Snap On, MAC AND MATCO, fabricate their tools overseas.
Sure the metals are higher quality than Harbor Freight.
The only true lift made in AMERICA are Mowhawk. Nussbaum in Germany.
All the others are China metals and garbage.
For a DYI or non professional mechanic Harbor Freight is ok and they have a good warranty.
I needed a 13/16 SAE flare nut wrench. I paid 77.00 bucks from MAC. Snap On wanted almost a 100.00 for one wrench. Harbor Freight just came out with a set for 33.00 or so bucks. If I knew that before I paid 77.00 for one wrench you better believe I would have bought the HF set.
I had been a mechanic from 14 YO. Worked for Ford. Now I am retired. I have no problem buying HF tools.
For decades upon decades I swore by Craftsman, Snap On and MAC. Back in my day they were all made in AMERICA.