Anybody scraping crossmember on pavement, how much ground clearance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I set my truck on the ground with the 285/45/22's on it and measured the transmission crossmember to the ground, I have about 4.5". Since I'm going to a 30" tire, I know I'll lose an inch, and with my Street Works exhaust, the cat hangs about an inch lower than the crossmember, so that will be even closer to the ground. I am re-working the exhaust to up over and behind the crossmember where there is plenty of room to tuck it up, so that won't be an issue.
My Corvette was 3.5" of ground clearance and I remember the front plastic air dam scraping occasionally, usually on driveways. I couldn't even get a jack under that car without driving up on a couple 2x4's.
So, how much ground clearance do you all have, and do you scrape??

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I set my truck on the ground with the 285/45/22's on it and measured the transmission crossmember to the ground, I have about 4.5". Since I'm going to a 30" tire, I know I'll lose an inch, and with my Street Works exhaust, the cat hangs about an inch lower than the crossmember, so that will be even closer to the ground. I am re-working the exhaust to up over and behind the crossmember where there is plenty of room to tuck it up, so that won't be an issue.
My Corvette was 3.5" of ground clearance and I remember the front plastic air dam scraping occasionally, usually on driveways. I couldn't even get a jack under that car without driving up on a couple 2x4's.
So, how much ground clearance do you all have, and do you scrape??
On a 4" front drop.my old 13 was a pain in the ass driving over speed bumps or leaving my driveway.You'll want to be careful roaring through parking lots with speed bumps,you might have to drive over the odd tall speed bump on an angle . After that truck,i'll never go that low again,the looks didn't justify the pain in the ass it was drive anywhere:Big Laugh:

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Racer

I'm 4/6 32 inch tire in rear (285/45/22), 31 in front (285/40/22).

In addition, I have the 4x4 transfer case cross member and skid plate on my RT. It hangs about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch lower, as you can see it under the truck. It bolts to the transmission cross member and to the frame on both sides.

I have not hit anything unforgiving with it, however I have cleaned some roadkill meat and fur off it a couple of times.

It's the lowest part of my truck in relation to the ground.

My experience.

OP
OP
Racer9

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess I might have to get a couple spring pads to lift the front a little. Speed bumps were the main thing I was concerned about, but we don't have that many where I usually drive. I'll check it again when I get the other tires on it.
My Challenger was 5.1" and I only scraped once coming out of our favorite restaurant parking lot. Uphill out of a gravel lot, onto the street. There was a pavement drop off which was the big problem. I can come out on an angle.
Thanks.