Anyone else have issues with A1 mirrors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So, I've had a thread or two over the last couple of years regarding issues with my A1 mirrors. Just wondering if I'm that special, or what gives.

Long story short, I keep having issues with my mirrors not wanting to extend all the way out. I'll put in a warranty replacement request, and get another set. I believe I've swapped out my mirrors 4-5 times now, and they work for a few months, then mysteriously they quit folding out (they get 3/4 of the way out, or they don't stop and just keep going until the mirror is pointing forward like I'm trying to joust someone)

To be fair, A1 has always just replaced them without hesitation. They definitely stand behind their products. That is, until this last time. They gave me a full refund for my mirrors, but now I have a non-working mirror again and can't do anything about it. I sold my stock PF sport mirrors, so I can't just put those back on.

Are the power fold tow mirrors that finicky? Do others have the same issue as me with the reliability? I just can't imagine that I've gone through that many mirrors and nobody else has ever has an issue. I'm seriously considering dishing out $1k+ on getting some OEM ones with the hope that they last the life of the truck like one would expect.

Does anyone know how the mirrors "work"? I park in a garage, so that should shield them somewhat. No real snow here this year (its also happened in the summer as well). Could this be something on the truck side of things? I'm not sure what kind of sensors are involved to indicate the position of the mirror. When it stops folding out part way, its like its locked in. I physically have to move it out of its 'notched' area that it wants to settle into, then when I fold/unfold the mirrors - it usually finds the position it should have been in to begin with. In case anyone is wondering as well, I do not manually move the mirrors on a normal basis. Only when they quit working (its the only way for me to get them working again).

Ugh... Sure hope someone has a good suggestion for me. Love having the tow mirrors, but they need to power fold for me to fit in my garage (which is ironic, because the sport mirrors don't need to power fold - they fit in the garage door fully extended)

2014 2500 Laramie, with power fold, puddle light, turn signal. Only option that's different is the auto-dimming, but I don't believe any of the tows auto dim.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I've got the Trailridge Power Folding Tow mirrors from A1 on my '14. I've only had them for a couple of months but they've been good so far.

-K

OP
OP
G

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm doing some research now to see if i can lube the mirrors somehow. Tonight the passenger side even had problems going in (always seems to be that side) . If I hit the fold button 4-5 times, they seem to move a little more each time. Almost seems like it's sticking, and not making the full motion in the allotted time

OP
OP
G

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Can they be frozen ?
They aren't frozen in place - but yes, I think this is the right direction. This morning I had to grab my ice scraper, roll down my passenger side window and reach across. Hit the button, and "help" the mirror open so it didn't stick halfway.

I have unlimited washes for my truck, so that might make sense why I only make it a few months before whatever grease they use goes away (even when warm outside). I planned on asking the shop what we've got for dry lube and see what I can spray in there. Other forums (outside of RAM specific) appear to have this issue regularly, and just spraying some PTFE lube at the joint a couple times a year seems to keep the problem at bay.

dakotamar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
my mirrors are sticking too, especially the passenger side. did you solve your problem and where did you lube if you did?