Anyone else think their 4th Gen is a Lemon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All the reg cabs were manufactured in Mexico and it seems maybe half the other configurations, some people have said the Mexican ones are built better than the USA ones. Mine's a Mexican one and it's been just about flawless.

Anyway I don't think OP is coming back they just wanted to rant and they're gonna trade in their truck and get something else and probably have the same luck with it because no manufacturer makes a perfect vehicle and I still flatly don't believe the alignment story.

Scott0700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve had eight Ram trucks since 1997. My 15 2500 Cummins lost the transmission at 57,000 miles. 6mo out of 5 year warranty (43,000 still left if mileage counted). Stellantis did nothing for me. $6,200 later for a new transmission. I have a new Ford F-350 on order. I never would have considered it if they had done anything for me. Dealer actually said to me “We see this failure a lot”. Truck never towed over 2k lbs or plowed. I just like diesels for the power, mileage and resale value. Ford may be no better, but I’m giving them a try.
They are in no way the same company now that Stellantis is in charge. I feel sorry for my dealer and salesman.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I own a 2013 Cummins 4th Gen. with 119k miles and I regularly tow 14k lbs. I've had two issues: 1. No Heat. I have flushed the heater core twice and it seems to cure the problem for awhile. I believe antifreeze got mixed during a water pump recall. 2. The turbo actuator went bad around 80K miles or so. It appears from reading that this is a common problem. Lots of heat next to electronics.

Bottom Line... I'D BUY IT AGAIN TOMORROW!
IMG_0573 (1).JPG

CfoxRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a gen4 2500 Cummins and I couldn’t be happier with the way the truck has treated me with no issues. Or drivability problems. Can’t say the same about my buddies gen5!!

Attachments

• 422830BF-8060-4C4F-9453-FB345FD4D880.jpeg
    422830BF-8060-4C4F-9453-FB345FD4D880.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 4

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My only issue has been the driver seat going out. Mine is now 10 years old and nothing. Its been maintained well and that shows. My previous truck was a 04.5 5.4 3v that I bought new. It was at almost 200k when I sold it. It had two issues both window cables snapped and the transmission went out at 80k. Ford covered that. It was ran with motorcraft synthetic blend what it called for and a motorcraft filter. Oil pressure was excellent, I never had any of the known cam phaser issues. My personal work truck is a 02 Silverado 4.8 ls. Other then the transmission going at over 200k. Its at 336k now and everything works even the radio. I am getting some issues on really hot days with the ac cutting off when it reaches 210, but other then that not one issue. The Silverado has had mobil 1 and a mobil 1 filter since new. Same thing maintained. Thats all it takes. That is three different examples of different makes, and models that I have personally driven or drive. I think as there are the exceptions with every vehicle for the most part simply what I have always done. Maintain them, change your fluids on time, run good gas, and keep them clean.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
When I bought my 2017 Gen IV Ram used in 2018, I said then it is the best vehicle I'd ever owned.
Three years later, I still think that. The only issues I've had are a number of software recalls, drag link recall, and tailgate recall. Minor stuff as new vehicles go.

Best ride, comfort, and capability of any truck I've owned, app. 7 trucks. Yes, I am keenly aware of valve lifter and exhaust bolt failure issues, and have taken preventive measures against lifter failures. Knowing this, I'd still have chosen this exact truck.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I believe our 12s were probably the most complete trucks. Rarely do you ever hear of issues form 09-12. I dont know what they did differently other then Fiat was in total control after ours were built.
Except drive shafts falling off and cam lifter failures along with pinion seal issues. Not to mention the forced buy back program. Yeah, they were great. That being said, never had an issue with my 11.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Except drive shafts falling off and cam lifter failures along with pinion seal issues. Not to mention the forced buy back program. Yeah, they were great.
I think like I said every year had issues. Maybe ours are just too old now to still be on the road lol. I know myself and @2012RAM1500RT havent had near the issues others have had. I know @GTyankee didn't have very many issues with his either.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I think like I said every year had issues. Maybe ours are just too old now to still be on the road lol. I know myself and @2012RAM1500RT havent had near the issues others have had. I know @GTyankee didn't have very many issues with his either.
No, mine is still like a new truck to me. I wouldn't hesitate to go anywhere in it, and I do.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think like I said every year had issues. Maybe ours are just too old now to still be on the road lol. I know myself and @2012RAM1500RT havent had near the issues others have had. I know didn't have very many issues with his either.
I would still have my 11 sport RC 4X4 except there were 2 Many times I needed the rear seat. My truck qualified for the mandatory buy back, but I wouldn’t give it up.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
My 13 had 80k trouble free miles when the uninsured woman destroyed it for me. My 17 has 61k trouble free miles.

Eclipse Aries

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The OP is a classic example of a person who bought something and can't afford it. Anyone who buys a vehicle and expects it to never need anything except gas and abuse from your right foot just isn't living in reality. Doesn't matter if it cost 2k or 200k. What he needs are a pair of sandals made from an old tire. There are a bunch of dudes in west Africa cruising around on those with no complaints.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is this "buy back" program that you guys speak of?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4th gens are junk, Just looks at most members sig lines... lol... 2K is nothing my friend.

Most of us are in the 10K + range to get these trucks were they should of been in the first place.

And none of us ever go to the stealer**** either.,

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What is this "buy back" program that you guys speak of?
My2011 was part of mandatory,by the gov’t, buy back program. Been awhile, it was based on current sale value + a dollar figure. Never really considered it. I never had an issue with truck. I’d still have it but I needed a back seat.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
My 2017 has been really great so far. Once in the shop for a faulty alarm which triggered throttle control, but still got me home and then to the dealer.

duneop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That truck doesn't sound like a lemon. All of that stuff is regular cost of ownership and wear and tear.
It sounds to me that you suffer from what most of us do. And that's finding a competent mechanic / dealer. If a dealership can't find why a vehicle is constantly pulling right or left then they're not much of a garage. The worst thing in my experience having owned my 09 for going on 12 years now is to ever take it to the dealership. The 2008 financial crisis and subsequent merger was not good on training for their mechanics. And I know! Trust me. I still don't think of my truck as a lemon, and it's on its third TIPM, second ABS module, third radio, second head gasket, third manifold job, countless brake jobs (dealer actually forgot to bolt the caliper back on after one), second water pump, etc... its been the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned. And I love it. When it does work, pushing your foot down and feeling that pull is worth the CAA / AAA memberships, and my mechanic is like part of the family now.
Buckle up. It only gets more expensive from here (watch the tensioner on that seat belt too).