Anyone Engaging 4WD and / or are frustrated with lack of LOCKER performance READ THIS!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Perhaps someone should make a Thread or make a Sticky Post at the top to inform all Power Wagon and Wrangler Rubicon owners (also applicable for almost ANY "modern" vehicle equipped with Traction Control):

Whenever going into 4WD; At minimum, turn off the Traction Control. Or BETTER YET, depress the T/C button and HOLD IT DOWN for like 5 seconds to shut down the entire Stability Control and fully defeat the over-anxious Traction Control system. You will hear One Chime and Dashboard Alert. KEEP the Button Depressed until you hear and see a Second Chime and Dash Display shutting of the Stability Program. Apparently this is almost a Super Secret Cheat Code, as hardly anyone seems to be aware of this! And remember, you will have to re-disable it EVERY time you switch from 2WD/4WD-Hi and 4WD-Lo AND/OR turn off the vehicle. It defaults back to the most limited configuration with every Shut Down or Gear Selection!

Your vehicle will be a whole new beast with capabilities beyond your wildest dreams!

It completely amazes me at how few people are aware of this feature, and become completely frustrated and often "Give Up" on a perfectly capable vehicle.

Also, I have found, in all Three of my previous PW's that even though the Locker Light continues to flash after the Locker Knob is turned, as if the Locker(s) are not operating properly, mine have all actually been working. YMMV.

You can thank me for keeping and enjoying your vehicle as-intended, not trading it off for something "More Capable" (There are none out there) . Or, perhaps you will curse me for not posting this earlier, as you have already swapped out, given away your amazing vehicle that you thought was "Broken". Sorry, if that is the case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The above post is no joke. I have owned Three Power Wagons, Three Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited late model Jeeps and countless other extremely capable vehicles just in the last Decade. I encourage everyone to read the Owners Manual, and educate themselves to the various features of each. Then, GO OUT and USE THEM as intended. Get out there and become familiar with the way they work and drive and react to various conditions. If you don't, you have NO idea what you are leaving on the table in terms of performance, capabilities and overall owner satisfaction. You are paying big money, for it. Learn to use it. And develop your own driving skills while enjoying these vehicles to thier fullest.

PXL_20210214_225033799.jpg1225131712.jpgPW16MonVal.jpgAlstrom2.jpg

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Perhaps someone should make a Thread or make a Sticky Post at the top to inform all Power Wagon and Wrangler Rubicon owners (also applicable for almost ANY "modern" vehicle equipped with Traction Control):

Whenever going into 4WD; At minimum, turn off the Traction Control. Or BETTER YET, depress the T/C button and HOLD IT DOWN for like 5 seconds to shut down the entire Stability Control and fully defeat the over-anxious Traction Control system. You will hear One Chime and Dashboard Alert. KEEP the Button Depressed until you hear and see a Second Chime and Dash Display shutting of the Stability Program. Apparently this is almost a Super Secret Cheat Code, as hardly anyone seems to be aware of this! And remember, you will have to re-disable it EVERY time you switch from 2WD/4WD-Hi and 4WD-Lo AND/OR turn off the vehicle. It defaults back to the most limited configuration with every Shut Down or Gear Selection!

Your vehicle will be a whole new beast with capabilities beyond your wildest dreams!

It completely amazes me at how few people are aware of this feature, and become completely frustrated and often "Give Up" on a perfectly capable vehicle.

Also, I have found, in all Three of my previous PW's that even though the Locker Light continues to flash after the Locker Knob is turned, as if the Locker(s) are not operating properly, mine have all actually been working. YMMV.

You can thank me for keeping and enjoying your vehicle as-intended, not trading it off for something "More Capable" (There are none out there) . Or, perhaps you will curse me for not posting this earlier, as you have already swapped out, given away your amazing vehicle that you thought was "Broken". Sorry, if that is the case.

That's a great reminder for all 4wd enthusiasts. Also keep in mind, at least for the 1500s but maybe others, that the defeat function of the TC is disabled at 40 mph and above.

My truck was much more fun in the snow with TC defeated. :cool:

OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Also keep in mind, at least for the 1500s but maybe others, that the defeat function of the TC is disabled at 40 mph and above.

The Power Wagon shuts down the Lockers, and Swaybar Disconnect at 19 mph. I believe the Rubicon's do the same.

I can't wait to get my Nanny defeating black box installed, so that I can enjoy all of the various options at all speeds and driveline configurations. Glad I bought one when I could find one.

The Power Wagon can get around in 2WD thanks to it's Limited Slip Axle in the Rear. The Jeep, not so much. It just sits there and spins the one tire. Totally Lame.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Power Wagon shuts down the Lockers, and Swaybar Disconnect at 19 mph. I believe the Rubicon's do the same.

I can't wait to get my Nanny defeating black box installed, so that I can enjoy all of the various options at all speeds and driveline configurations. Glad I bought one when I could find one.

The Power Wagon can get around in 2WD thanks to it's Limited Slip Axle in the Rear. The Jeep, not so much. It just sits there and spins the one tire. Totally Lame.

I hear ya.

I've considered getting a harness/hack to permanently fix the TC/ASC on my Ram.
It's a bit crude but does the job by bypassing the ABS fuse without lifting the hood, AFAIK.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Read your owners manual.

This isn’t new. It’s been this way for over a decade.

FYI- 4low automatically disables the TSC.

Also if your locker light is flashing it’s not completely locked. You will destroy the gear if you try to use it as designed when it’s trying to lock.

Attachments

• IMG_4495.png
    IMG_4495.png
    371.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4496.jpeg
    IMG_4496.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Read your owners manual.

This isn’t new. It’s been this way for over a decade.

Also if your locker light is flashing it’s not completely locked. You will destroy the gear if you try to use it as designed when it’s trying to lock.

I did read the Owners Manual for my first "Late Model" Power Wagon over a decade ago.

Having owned Four of them now, I have yet to destroy any gears while using it as designed while it is trying to lock. Matter of fact, the lockers on those trucks always flashed while in the process of locking and unlocking. This must have occurred countless times as I continued in motion as the system automatically cycled back and forth on it's own every time I passed through the 19 mph threshold while either accelerating or decelerating. I have not had an issue with any of them after driving around with the lights flashing and the diffs locking and unlocking all on their own.

Matter of fact, the only way to get the rear locker to engage more often than not, is to continue in motion. And as many people recommend, turning while moving, or doing "Figure 8's" is the best way to align the locker pin with the ring gear so that it can engage.

I guess as they say; YMMV.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did read the Owners Manual for my first "Late Model" Power Wagon over a decade ago.

Having owned Four of them now, I have yet to destroy any gears while using it as designed while it is trying to lock. Matter of fact, the lockers on those trucks always flashed while in the process of locking and unlocking. This must have occurred countless times as I continued in motion as the system automatically cycled back and forth on it's own every time I passed through the 19 mph threshold while either accelerating or decelerating. I have not had an issue with any of them after driving around with the lights flashing and the diffs locking and unlocking all on their own.

Matter of fact, the only way to get the rear locker to engage more often than not, is to continue in motion. And as many people recommend, turning while moving, or doing "Figure 8's" is the best way to align the locker pin with the ring gear so that it can engage.

I guess as they say; YMMV.

Glad I could assist. FYI this feature has been detailed in all MY’s. The motion required to lock the axles is also noted in the owner manual of all MY’s.

You mention that there’s a speed threshold for locker disengagement?? Please provide reference of its feature and usage. There is a speed threshold for sway bar use but not the locker. Sounds like you have an electric or mechanical issue with the locker system if they continue to disengage.

Picture a vehicle stuck with wheel spinning and the system engaging and disengaging at 18mph, something will give and fracture.

Mopar has made YouTube videos describing features usage.

The biggest problem is all the incorrect information distributed over social media as we have seen and no one reads the owners manual.

Ever think of changing the title from “READ THIS” to “Read your OWNERS MANUAL”?

Attachments

• IMG_4544.jpeg
    IMG_4544.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Glad I could assist. FYI this feature has been detailed in all MY’s. The motion required to lock the axles is also noted in the owner manual of all MY’s.

You mention that there’s a speed threshold for locker disengagement?? Please provide reference of its feature and usage. There is a speed threshold for sway bar use but not the locker. Sounds like you have an electric or mechanical issue with the locker system if they continue to disengage.

Picture a vehicle stuck with wheel spinning and the system engaging and disengaging at 18mph, something will give and fracture.

The biggest problem is all the incorrect information distributed over social media as we have seen and no one reads the owners manual.

Reading the owners manual is great, more people should do it, but posting the info on here helps a ton of folks too.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IT guys have been struggling with that for decades. Where do you think "RTFM" comes from?

Only IT guys?

I'd say it's a very common practice to not read a manual for most people. And in the past 40 years, most manuals are written by manufacturers to mitigate legal obligations instead of providing useful product information.

As a result of this behavior by manufacturers, the owner's manuals for most items have become cluttered with useless crap and could be seen by many as a waste of time.

That said, anyone trying to research a product fault should complete their due diligence before reaching out to others and RTFM. :cool:

OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

No. I have not.

That is the point. I was trying to be helpful and guide people with what they could do
if they had a vehicle that was not operating as they thought it should. I am not that sort of person. Sounds like you are. Do as you wish.

I've pulled hundreds of people off the beach. I doubt they would gain much from me smugly motoring by and shouting 'Read The F'ing Owners Manual' out the window.

A quick piece of spoken advice, or found here, for those that perhaps did not get a manual, did not read the manual, or simply had no idea as they are 'old school' 'wheelers who would never think a manufacturer of such a specially equipped vehicle would dumb it down so bad.

Last edited:

akguy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The SmartBar Controls the Locker engagment, so the 19MPH speedlimit is for BOTH, always has been, my 2007 PW was the same way. Drive over 19MPH and watch your Locker lights flash as they unlock

ACBoomer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005/ 2016
Engine
5.7/ 6.4
I have the 2016 Power wagon and installed the Tazer Ram unit in the obd port from z automotive, it gives you the ability to use lockers in 2 or 4wd and gets rid of electronic nannies. It has many features included. I know they make other units for jeep, ect. Worth a look https://www.zautomotive.com/

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have the 2016 Power wagon and installed the Tazer Ram unit in the obd port from z automotive, it gives you the ability to use lockers in 2 or 4wd and gets rid of electronic nannies. It has many features included. I know they make other units for jeep, ect. Worth a look https://www.zautomotive.com/
Tazer has an idle up, winch mode included in the live functions for better alternator output when winching. Would also help with higher oil pressure for long idle periods.

Do you by chance know ifthe Tazer works with the Kaodtech bypass module, which looks just like the TAZER made one. I already have the Kaodtech installed for use with Alphaobd. I texted Tazer, they won't guarantee it works with any other bypass as they only test with theirs. Not looking for a guarantee, just conformation it has worked.

ACBoomer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005/ 2016
Engine
5.7/ 6.4
I didn't need a bypass with my 2016 PW so I can't answer that. I did have to have the bypass with 2019 Durango, but I also used both products by z auto.

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi

It is EXACTLY for Topics and Threads like this for why I joined RAMForum!

I'm not a dumb man or an overly smart man, but I do know that I don't know what I don't know. I appreciate that there is this type of information (And counter discussion) here to learn from. (+) 1,000 to @Brakelate.