Anyone get a cracked frame on a 5th gen 1500 yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zeb handeland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 5th gen 1500 Big Horn. I pull a 6x14 V-nosed single axle United enclosed trailer; its under the weight limits, and utilized Timbren SES jounce stops on my Ram. However, one day about 6 weeks ago, I noticed the back to the bed bouncing sloppily while pulling my enclosed trailer. I went to a local body shop and they told me I have a crack in the frame behind my bump stop location on the Frame. Has anyone experienced this before? I called my insurance company and they filed a claim for me under my collision portion. A new frame came from Ram in Michigan, and costs around $4700. The 3rd pic is for reference on my enclosed trailer.

Attachments

• 2019 Ram frame.jpg
    2019 Ram frame.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Cracked frame.jpg
    Cracked frame.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 163
  • cracked frame 1.jpg
    cracked frame 1.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 151
  • cracked frame 2.jpg
    cracked frame 2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 161

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Just to get the full picture here, I'd like to see all 3 of the axle weights. Also I'd like to see if it is riding on those glorified bumps top Timbren jounces you added. More than likely they were your cause along with overloaded trailer with excessive tongue weight.
Not pointing the finger, just calling in the way I see it based on what's provided. A single axle trailer if loaded heavy it adds quick to the tongue weight.
If it was me I'd take the Timbrens off before the body shop or insurance Co. sees them.
But as far as experiencing this, I have not but there are pics and stories all over the web of not just RAMs but Fords, & others with cracked frames and those were from improper loading causing stress on the frame aft axle.
Good luck.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cracks behind bump stops, hmmmm. Like 18CD said, looks like too much tongue weight and it's riding heavy on the stops. Stops don't increase load capacity. You might think about load leveler hitch instead.

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Overloaded or not (I can’t imagine it would be overloaded by that much with that trailer), frames should be the most solid thing about a truck. That’s not right they’re cracking left and right. You are definitely not the first to crack a 5th gen frame either. Approx how many miles have you put on this set up?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Overloaded or not (I can’t imagine it would be overloaded by that much with that trailer), frames should be the most solid thing about a truck. That’s not right they’re cracking left and right. You are definitely not the first to crack a 5th gen frame either. Approx how many miles have you put on this set up?

I agree the frame shouldn't be but they are and it seems they can't take the dynamic pounding of weight aft the rear axle. The steel seems brittle, with not enough "flex" built in.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've towed my 7x11 single axle enclosed trailer empty with my 21 Ram and I noticed a lot of flexing of the bed in my mirrors. My 11 ram pulled the same trailer with 2 big harley davidsons in it and I never noticed the flexing like the 21 has. I love my 21 but I think they are very weak trucks. This is the trailer on my 11.Screenshot_20221127_111539_Gallery.jpg

zrock

Reaction score
I doubt that trailer was over loaded to the point it would crack the frame.. if it was that over loaded the OP would have probably noticed some handling issues on the HWY and swaying from the trailer. Get rid of those timbern stops they are 100% junk, essentially you are now causing your truck to ride on a hard bumpstop transferring the shock and load to your frame. I had a set and when i had the atv loaded in the back it rode like a tank, nothing beats airbags for helping with a load. When i got my bags i got the bluetooth controller and 1 button push i can set them for the atv or my travel trailer.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Used to rarely ever see any bent or broken frames , however in the last few years there is a serious increase in the amount of trashed trucks out here. And it does not appear to be a specific manufacturer. Was quality decreased by so much that most can not tow their own weight anymore ? $70k + for garbage , my next will certainly be much older .

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Used to rarely ever see any bent or broken frames , however in the last few years there is a serious increase in the amount of trashed trucks out here. And it does not appear to be a specific manufacturer. Was quality decreased by so much that most can not tow their own weight anymore ? $70k + for garbage , my next will certainly be much older .

Just lighter and thinner materials being used to reduce weight and increase fuel efficiency. Eventually you reach the tipping point where you've reduced weight by more than the engineers have been able to compensate for to increase strength.

Another reason to go 3/4 ton. They haven't f'd with those trucks yet in the current 4.5 gen. It'll be interesting to see the redesigned 5th gen 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Just lighter and thinner materials being used to reduce weight and increase fuel efficiency. Eventually you reach the tipping point where you've reduced weight by more than the engineers have been able to compensate for to increase strength.

Another reason to go 3/4 ton. They haven't f'd with those trucks yet in the current 4.5 gen. It'll be interesting to see the redesigned 5th gen 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.
I got news for you, there's 3500s and f350s with cracked frames.
I think it's a raw material issue personally.

Silver21Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I doubt that trailer was over loaded to the point it would crack the frame.. if it was that over loaded the OP would have probably noticed some handling issues on the HWY and swaying from the trailer. Get rid of those timbern stops they are 100% junk, essentially you are now causing your truck to ride on a hard bumpstop transferring the shock and load to your frame. I had a set and when i had the atv loaded in the back it rode like a tank, nothing beats airbags for helping with a load. When i got my bags i got the bluetooth controller and 1 button push i can set them for the atv or my travel trailer.
Keepin' it OEM never caused a problem or emptied a wallet !

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Static load isn't the issue, it's the live load. Bumps in the road impart instant and excessive loat on both sides of the pivot point, eg, the bump stops.

21ramjr807

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 5th gen 1500 Big Horn. I pull a 6x14 V-nosed single axle United enclosed trailer; its under the weight limits, and utilized Timbren SES jounce stops on my Ram. However, one day about 6 weeks ago, I noticed the back to the bed bouncing sloppily while pulling my enclosed trailer. I went to a local body shop and they told me I have a crack in the frame behind my bump stop location on the Frame. Has anyone experienced this before? I called my insurance company and they filed a claim for me under my collision portion. A new frame came from Ram in Michigan, and costs around $4700. The 3rd pic is for reference on my enclosed trailer.
Yupp dealing with same issue. 21 ram 1500 6'4 bed. And I am lifted 3.5 with wheels. And I have airlift 5k set at 50 psi. And my just split right above the airlift bags that are on the axel. I tow a 7x16 enclosed. With 2 mowers. Closer up by the nose and 1 over the axel. My weight is 5200lbs of trailer weight total. Tounge wait is at 925. These trucks are supposed to handle 1200lb of tounge wait according to dealer yesterday. 8/1/23 so not sure. But I'm being denied because I modified my truck. It's a 21 with 36k miles. I had an 18 with air lift and never had this issue. With same setup. I think it's a 5th issue.weak ass frames. So I'm getting away from ram :/

Attachments

• 20230725_100705.jpg
    20230725_100705.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 27

21ramjr807

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My frame just cracked with only 54psi in the bags. With a 7x16 enclosed. So apparently it's still causing it to crack. And they said I'll be denied for warranty because I have the airbags in there

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Z- I had a 6x12 vnose and was under its gross weight with just "camping" equipment and generator in cabinets built in the nose. I dont remeber the exact weight but it was somethinglike 2200lbs, however my tongue weight was around 560lbs. I then loaded tool boxes and air compressor at and behind the trailer axle increaseing the trailer weight to around 2900lbs but the tongue weight actually dropped to around 520lbs. Those trailers are very tongue heavy, particularly if you dont balance your load in it. I could see you easily reaching 700lbs or more tongue weight on that trailer and with out a WDH its gonna focus that load all on the rear of the frame instead of leverage it across the trailer and truck axles.
The hitch will handle a 1000 lbs of tonuge, but without the WDH it puts the load forces all on the rear of the truck frame and that will cause issues.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Z- I had a 6x12 vnose and was under its gross weight with just "camping" equipment and generator in cabinets built in the nose. I dont remeber the exact weight but it was somethinglike 2200lbs, however my tongue weight was around 560lbs. I then loaded tool boxes and air compressor at and behind the trailer axle increaseing the trailer weight to around 2900lbs but the tongue weight actually dropped to around 520lbs. Those trailers are very tongue heavy, particularly if you dont balance your load in it. I could see you easily reaching 700lbs or more tongue weight on that trailer and with out a WDH its gonna focus that load all on the rear of the frame instead of leverage it across the trailer and truck axles.
The hitch will handle a 1000 lbs of tonuge, but without the WDH it puts the load forces all on the rear of the truck frame and that will cause issues.

This. Yes, the hitch is rated to 1k-1200 lbs, but that is PROPERLY EQUIPPED. Meaning once you get over about 600 lbs, maybe 700, you should be adding a WDH setup.

I am not a Ram engineer, so I don't have access to their numbers, however, from an engineering standpoint, generally you design for an intended purpose. When it comes to trailering/towing, there are guidelines in place that people are supposed to follow, one of them being if you're over 6-700 lbs of tongue weight you are supposed to use a WDH. Therefore that puts the limit that the rear of the frame on the trucks need to be designed for at whatever number they used to determine their live loading (probably 700 * moment arm length to the spring mount). That's all they are required to hit, and whatever material can get them there is used, to cut weight and improve efficiency.

Is that right? From a customer service standpoint I'd say no. They should be designing a LOT higher because there are plenty of people who don't know the guidelines or just don't care about the guidelines who will put 1k on the ball at the back of their truck and not think twice about it. That said, ignorance is never a good thing to hide behind, so when you tell them 'oh I didn't know I couldn't do that' they'll pull up the information that you were supposed to research, and then deny your claim.

In short, that's pretty much why I stay within the limits of what my truck can do, don't go crazy on the modifications while it's under warranty, and if I gotta do something sketchy and I can't get a bigger truck, I just take it REAL easy so I don't break anything.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Yupp dealing with same issue. 21 ram 1500 6'4 bed. And I am lifted 3.5 with wheels. And I have airlift 5k set at 50 psi. And my just split right above the airlift bags that are on the axel. I tow a 7x16 enclosed. With 2 mowers. Closer up by the nose and 1 over the axel. My weight is 5200lbs of trailer weight total. Tounge wait is at 925. These trucks are supposed to handle 1200lb of tounge wait according to dealer yesterday. 8/1/23 so not sure. But I'm being denied because I modified my truck. It's a 21 with 36k miles. I had an 18 with air lift and never had this issue. With same setup. I think it's a 5th issue.weak ass frames. So I'm getting away from ram :/
Using it Commercially for lawn cutting business everyday won't help a claim either. A 1500 nowadays isn't designed nor can it hold up to that abuse.