Anyone Recognize this Aftermarket 3rd Brake Light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It says its made by "AJP Distributors" but I have a feeling like many Chinese products these are probably sold under a dozen different names, but doing a google image search it didn't see any others. No reviews or feedback if it needs reprogramming, as I don't see resistors so assume it will show a bulb-out warning on my 2009.

1651377158324.png
Capture.JPG

Not that expensive at only $43. If not, might just try them out as looks like it has free returns.

Edit: So I had ordered these, and long story short they are junk and going back. The angle makes it so the top "loop" of the brake isn't really visible unless far away, and the white LED cargo lights point into the sky. The plastic outside the brake ring is textured and because of the black behind it when mounted actually makes it look black, not red. Poor execution, so being returned.

Last edited:

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm curious to know how well these work. There's not a lot of 3rd brake lights out there that I like. They're either too over the top or don't come close to matching the oem stuff. I feel these would look great matched up with a set of oem or oem led style tails.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked through those types on Amazon and the reviews turned me off. I ended up putting in LED bulbs and vinyl tinting the OE light myself. There's some that I liked at Recon, but more than I wanted to pay lol. Keep us updated on how they hold up.

Last edited:

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I paid $35 for an OE one from Dodge.
Loaded it with red & white LEDs.

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked through those types on Amazon and the reviews turned me off. I ended up putting in LED bulbs and vinyl tinting the OE light myself. There's some that I liked at Recon, but more than I wanted to pay lol. Keep us updated on how they hold up.
Yeah, I think its the same as this one, and I found these reviews after I already ordered and said you can't cancel.

Supposedly, the brake part itself is wonderful, but the bed lights point at the international space station instead of, you know, AT THE BED! I can't fathom how that made it to production without anyone noticing the design flaw if that's true, lol!

The shipment keeps getting delayed, but I'll post as soon as I get it. Originally it said I'd get it between Wednesday and Friday, but now its showing not until Monday, oof... so hoping for the best, but anticipate this may be a return.

My truck is red, so I'm looking for one that is also red, but that has a neon-tube look for the brake light to match my new tail lights I installed that have a C-shaped running light in them. These might be option B if the others are poo, but again no reviews hmmm... not loving how tiny the brake portion is though, unlike the ones in my original post that are a very large loop.

Capture.JPG

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The issue I've seen with most of these aftermarket lights like this is that the OEM cargo lights do a pretty good job of illuminating the bed, but the aftermarket ones tend to just be aimed backwards like the brake light so don't really do much for the bed area.

It's a cool looking light though. Let us know how it works out.

I have some nive Amazon LED tails on my 09 as well. But after a year, I started getting the bulb out warnings randomly. They still work, but they'll hyper flash so it's mildly annoying.

This is what I have:

tails.jpg

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have some nive Amazon LED tails on my 09 as well. But after a year, I started getting the bulb out warnings randomly. They still work, but they'll hyper flash so it's mildly annoying.
Did you use AlfaOBD to set them as LED?

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The issue I've seen with most of these aftermarket lights like this is that the OEM cargo lights do a pretty good job of illuminating the bed, but the aftermarket ones tend to just be aimed backwards like the brake light so don't really do much for the bed area.

It's a cool looking light though. Let us know how it works out.

This is what I have:

View attachment 492695
I have these, similar design but again red to match the red paint on the truck, now just trying to match the third brake light to it. FYI, the brakes are awesome, but the reverse housing I think is an inferior design to stock as it casts an uneven light behind the truck (at least w/ aftermarket LEDs, incandescent may be OK).

Capture.JPG

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So they arrive, and I can definitely recommend passing on these.

As the reviews that I only saw after complained, the bed lights not only don't point down, they actually point UP at the sky at an angle. I can only guess that whoever was in charge for making these the boss said "don't forget to angle the bed lights" and didn't tell him which way... Sad.

Also, I thought these would be regular red to blend in, but its actually a textured plastic with black plastic behind the red making it effectively look black or close to black on all but the center portion where the light circle and skylights are.

tl;dr: These are trash, avoid them!

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you use AlfaOBD to set them as LED?
No, I didn't need to. They worked fine for about a year with no warning message. Even now it's just intermitten - they'll work for a while, then give the message/hperflash, then go back to working correctly. Seems to me like the built in resistors are burning out, going bad or have bad connection, but since they're sealed unit, getting to them is a problem.

Thanks for the review on the brake light, good to know another to avoid. Shame, it looked pretty cool.

After getting the tails in and on, I think I'd have better off with the red ones. I had the option, but opted for black as I was doing black everywhere else on the truck. Maybe with the next set.