Anyone regret the ram boxs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lonestar Hemi 5.7, 4x4, 8speed, 3.21, LSD, 32gal fuel tank, CC short bed
Im looking to buy a ram 1500

Im really liking the ram boxs, but there is that smaller bed issue. Does anyone regret having them? I really dont see them around much, and it seems kind of rare to find used trucks with the rambox.

Im a carpenter and have always owned SUVs. The back seats on the suv or future truck are pretty much going to be filled with tools either way so rambox seems like a great option for hand tools, nails, screws... Of course, as a carpenter you can assume i will also need to load the bed often. Ply wood, materials, large tools and trash cans...

I have mostly read great reviews about the rambox, and having no personal truck currently, it seems like even a 4ft wide bed is going to be such an upgrade. My coworker has a (6'3?) regular bed 06' ram and thinks im crazy for even considering ram boxs due to lack of bed space.

So any input is helpful. Anyone use the rambox in the field. Maybe even experience with and without one?

One truck that caught my eye was a 2014 5.7L crew cab bighorn w ram boxs. I think bed was 4ft wide x 5'7

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, I have a ton of regret when it comes to Ram boxes.

As in I regret not getting one, fawk they are awesome. If I knew I was going to own this truck for 20 years as now I think will be a fact, I would have stepped up to a Ram Box, 2500. You are aware you are not losing space yes? You are just getting it compartmentalized. You can't really load these beds with heavy stuff anyhow, 1/2 yard of rock and you will be low riding but your bed will not be close to full.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Is one thing I could not decided on myself, the only real negative I could see is if you want a topper or ladder racks on your truck.
Been a carpenter all my life as well and always had a topper with ladder racks and that would just make the Ram boxes not use able.

OP
OP
C

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I definitely will need to put some form of ladder racks on the truck. Driving home without lumber sticking out the back window has been a dream of mine.

I didnt look in to it much but i assumed it could be done easily, perhaps not? I liked the idea of the temporary rack, like the ones that slide in to the square holes on a bed. Maybe thats going to be a problem. I did see these but this looks more permanent

vantech-p3510b-dodge-rambox-pickup-truck-racks.jpg

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
If you can get racks for it then I see no reason not to get the ram boxes, unless you plan on a topper for it.
The ram boxes look like they hold alot and like was said you dont loose room its just change how you use it for the better.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Love them. The space you loose is only above the wheel wells. I took some measurements a while backc29331720ffe7c3cdfbb668cee8b647e.jpga9a7f94cd678c0de910dcaaee73a9424.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would say if you want to put heavy weight on those racks, I would put a roll bar attached to the frame and use that as the front rack.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish my truck had the ram box it would be very convenient

OP
OP
C

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh man, i think my mind was already made up and i just needed some random strangers to push me over the edge. I definitely want them. I have a flat bed trailer i tow if i need anything heavy: dirt, mulch, firewood. Holds more than a large bed anyway.

And yes, since the rambox just compartmentalizes existing space the beds probably going to have tools and things most of the time anyway. The most likely scenario i can think needed more bed space is hauling trash cans and large items, end of job clean out or something...which i dont even use my personal vehicle for now anyway.

The rack i posted above, i think thise style go in the rails, so weight limit is small. I would have to custom build a rack that sits on the sides before and after the ram boxs. Google image search "rambox rack" has a few examples. So not ideal but its possible

The hard part is searching for a truck. I have not found an easy way to search for rambox vehicles online. New i cannot afford, and most dealer websites are not returning rambox results, even if they do have rambox trucks on the site.

Edit: oh i see burla already mentioned the racks being low capacity

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I measured the difference once between my father's 2015 box (non-Rambox) and my 2014 (Rambox). As others said, you lose the space above/around the wheel wells, and maybe an inch (width) beyond that, at most.

I love them. I wasn't specifically looking to get them when I bought my 2014 (my 2013 that was totaled didn't have them), but the truck I found with all the other options I wanted happen to have them. Now I don't think I could ever buy another truck without the Ramboxes! I have a small six by eight flat trailer for anything the Ram's bed can't handle.

redintex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Im looking to buy a ram 1500

Im really liking the ram boxs, but there is that smaller bed issue. Does anyone regret having them? I really dont see them around much, and it seems kind of rare to find used trucks with the rambox.

Im a carpenter and have always owned SUVs. The back seats on the suv or future truck are pretty much going to be filled with tools either way so rambox seems like a great option for hand tools, nails, screws... Of course, as a carpenter you can assume i will also need to load the bed often. Ply wood, materials, large tools and trash cans...

I have mostly read great reviews about the rambox, and having no personal truck currently, it seems like even a 4ft wide bed is going to be such an upgrade. My coworker has a (6'3?) regular bed 06' ram and thinks im crazy for even considering ram boxs due to lack of bed space.

So any input is helpful. Anyone use the rambox in the field. Maybe even experience with and without one?

One truck that caught my eye was a 2014 5.7L crew cab bighorn w ram boxs. I think bed was 4ft wide x 5'7
I would definitely get them if I had the option. Next truck will absolutely have them. That is about the only thing that I would want to change about my current truck. Just my .02...
Oh man, i think my mind was already made up and i just needed some random strangers to push me over the edge. I definitely want them. I have a flat bed trailer i tow if i need anything heavy: dirt, mulch, firewood. Holds more than a large bed anyway.

And yes, since the rambox just compartmentalizes existing space the beds probably going to have tools and things most of the time anyway. The most likely scenario i can think needed more bed space is hauling trash cans and large items, end of job clean out or something...which i dont even use my personal vehicle for now anyway.

The rack i posted above, i think thise style go in the rails, so weight limit is small. I would have to custom build a rack that sits on the sides before and after the ram boxs. Google image search "rambox rack" has a few examples. So not ideal but its possible

The hard part is searching for a truck. I have not found an easy way to search for rambox vehicles online. New i cannot afford, and most dealer websites are not returning rambox results, even if they do have rambox trucks on the site.

Edit: oh i see burla already mentioned the racks being low capacity

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i love having the rambox option, great for storage and also the only space lost is with the area above the wheel well.

one issue and this is is very specific one, is that if you have a large size quad like the yamaha Grizzly its gonna be a tight fit but only if you have a tonno cover (its the brackets that give the problem... take a look:
IMG_8556_zpsezcer27c.jpg

besides this matter, I have nothing but good things to say about this option.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love my ramboxes, I'm not a carpenter by trade but do odd jobs and those boxes fit my circular saw perfectly as well as all the things you mentioned, screws, nails, level.. so nice to have them in a secure weather resistant box. Plus a full width sheet of plywood still fits... So no draw back in my mind.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Kenneth1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Limited 4x4
Engine
I have only had my truck a couple of weeks but wish i would have got them the first time , with these crews a tool box in the bed just isn't an option to me and this way i can still use the full bed of the truck. I haven't put a lot in them yet still trying to decide on the gun racks and dividers .

scottysize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Regret? I LOVE my RAM Boxes. I'd regret not having them. Now that I'd regret.