Anyone Successful with Self Parking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaxGig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had family in town visiting one weekend and my brother in law wanted to see how it worked. I used it to parallel park and it did fine, I wasn't sure so I hit the brakes when it got close to the car behind me not knowing if it would stop or not. Probably won't use it again.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I've had self-parking in every vehicle since 1974.
I park it myself.

DB Cooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETORQ
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited. It has the self park feature. I have turned it on several times and tried the perpendicular parking. I had turn signal on. I can see the parking spaces in the graphic display but the truck does not ever choose one or start the parking protocols. I am actually not likely to use it...maybe the parallel function....but just curious if anyone has successfully used the function?

My wife's Volvo has self park. We took it to an empty church parking lot and tested it out. It worked fine but was just too weird. It makes a lot of back and forward motions to make things perfect. The Ram manual says it is limited to 8 back and forths before it gives up.

I imagine folks behind you would get mad at your for taking so long to park.
My truck comes with one step self parking... I toss the keys to my kids and say "Park it for me, please' seems to work perfectly every time.

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I use it to know if the truck will fit as the system seems to pick spots it'll fit into 'easily'. When parallel parking, I let it do the work - it's pretty effective, but there are times when I want the vehicle a bit closer to the curb than it is when it's done and will make that 6 to 8 inch adjustment ... it's not that it's too far out, rather the people in front or behind me will risk tapping or brushing the bumper to get out of their space. If I pull in tighter to the curb than they do, it's unlikely they'll touch my bumper.

As for perpendicular parking - it will pass over most spots in the Chicagoland suburbs as the spaces are usually quite tight for a truck this wide. I'm OK with that as it eliminates door dings and for the most part, I'll just park further away for the ease and convenience of pulling right into a spot from any direction as well as one-steering-input-parking. Yet in Florida and other states, the spaces are wider and Self Parking works pretty well ... if I'm not in a rush ;- )

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
seems like this feature is but one they could leave off due to the chip shortage in order to get a few more trucks to the dealers. I would never use it anyway. or start/stop or adaptive cruise control . I also turn of the auto stop and the vibrating seat lane change alert and just look out the front window whenever I'm driving like you know, old style.

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't use it because I never park my new RAM near enough to any other vehicle where scratches, dents, or dings can occur. I'll walk a mile before I'd do that.