2020 2500 limited mega cab diesel on coil springs or 2024 2500 limited mega cab diesel with self leveling air suspension ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madcane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I currently have a 2500 limited mega cab on coil springs and it rides awesome. Zipping down the interstate it rides incredible. best riding HD truck I've owned.
I'm thinking of trading it for a 2024 limited mega cab, but it has the self leveling air suspension. Salesman says it should ride smoother on the interstate than my truck with the coil springs.
has anyone here had both a 2500 with coils as well as the 2500 with self leveling air suspension ?
I would like you opinion on which you find smoother speeding down the interstate.
I could only test drive it in town and really only noticed that the 2024 seemed a tiny bit peppier or more responsive.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Even though you live where it is warm, I would avoid Ram's air on its pickup like the plague. Ride is one thing, repairs and faults with the air is a whole different ball of string. If you want load levelling add air bags to your current truck. If you want a new truck, get the coil springs like you have now.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Even though you live where it is warm, I would avoid Ram's air on its pickup like the plague. Ride is one thing, repairs and faults with the air is a whole different ball of string. If you want load levelling add air bags to your current truck. If you want a new truck, get the coil springs like you have now.
Thank you...

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I've had both and prefer the rear air bags. I like the self leveling feature as well as the "alternate trailer height" feature. Some have reported problems with the rear bags but mine have been trouble free for 75k + miles. I am careful to let the air pump stop before taking off to insure the air is at the proper pressure especially with changing payloads. My truck gets used pretty hard with lots of towing and truck camper usage. The rear bags really come into play with the truck camper.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've had 2 2500 Megacabs, both with air suspension. Both ride awesome on pretty much any terrain or road, loaded or unloaded. Great option I would not be without.

They added a "bed lowering" mode to the newer ones, in addition to the Alt Ride Height setting. Gets the bed a little lower for loading stuff.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You are talking about the issues the 1500's have with their 4 corner air bags. The HD system is totally different and FAR more reliable. Rare to hear of any issues with it.

As far as the OP's question, he posted the same thing in two forums here. I posted my input in his other thread.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You are talking about the issues the 1500's have with their 4 corner air bags. The HD system is totally different and FAR more reliable. Rare to hear of any issues with it.

As far as the OP's question, he posted the same thing in two forums here. I posted my input in his other thread.
I am well aware that there are two different systems in play. I understand there is a large difference between the 1500 and HD.

I in fact have the four corner automatic air suspension on the wife's 2020 Grand Cherokee Summit. It has almost 40,000 miles and works perfect, but it is parked in a heated garage, never tows or hauls weight and stays on pavement. We also live in a place with very low humidity. On her car, given its use parameters, it was an acceptable risk for the much improved ride.

You are entitled to your perspective and that is what we post when we answer, but for me, I still would not have any kind of an automated air system on a pickup. I have run manual adjust airbags on lots of them, and even those eventually develop leaks, but are relatively easy and cheap to fix. Anything that is auto levelling will be a pain in the butt, and expensive, WHEN it starts acting up.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have no confirmation on if it was true, but it seems to me someone on here posted about a potential issue with the air suspension - it apparently will throw a DTC if you overload it, something a real spring truck won't do.

Again, no confirmation, but something to look into if you're considering trying to haul heavy with the air suspension.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I've had both and prefer the rear air bags. I like the self leveling feature as well as the "alternate trailer height" feature. Some have reported problems with the rear bags but mine have been trouble free for 75k + miles. I am careful to let the air pump stop before taking off to insure the air is at the proper pressure especially with changing payloads. My truck gets used pretty hard with lots of towing and truck camper usage. The rear bags really come into play with the truck camper. I would not have a HD truck without them.

OP
OP
Madcane

Madcane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why not go take the truck for a test drive on the interstate and see if you like the ride? Everything is subjective to the individual.
I will, when I was there I didn't have the extra time for that. I will do that tomorrow. I just put new michelins on mine and it rides so darn good I'm hesitant to get rid of it. The rear air in the 2024's had me thinking maybe they would ride even better. plus the few times I pull the boat out for service or take the camper out, I figured maybe it would be a nice change to try the air suspension.
I'm stuck on Air or coils, Granite metallic, Delmonico or Patriot blue limited mega cabs, and Night edition or regular with the chrome.
I've got a few more weeks to figure it out, lol

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
My 2015 does not throw a DCT. Had it overloaded by 1000 lbs with a pallet of lime going a short distance to my hunting property. Not sure of the new 1's. I could see them doing that to protect their butt these days.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have no confirmation on if it was true, but it seems to me someone on here posted about a potential issue with the air suspension - it apparently will throw a DTC if you overload it, something a real spring truck won't do.

Again, no confirmation, but something to look into if you're considering trying to haul heavy with the air suspension.
Yeah, there was a thread about this. If the OP is planning on going way over the 10K 2500 limits, he might be much better served with a 3500. But the ride will suffer, air suspension or not.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You are entitled to your perspective and that is what we post when we answer, but for me, I still would not have any kind of an automated air system on a pickup. I have run manual adjust airbags on lots of them, and even those eventually develop leaks, but are relatively easy and cheap to fix. Anything that is auto levelling will be a pain in the butt, and expensive, WHEN it starts acting up.
But your post suggested there were reliability issues with the HD factory air suspension:
I would avoid Ram's air on its pickup like the plague. Ride is one thing, repairs and faults with the air is a whole different ball of string.

I don't believe that to be the case with the HD system. I read these forums every day and threads about air suspension issues always catch my attention, since I own one. But they are 99% of the time about the non-HD trucks. My perspective, as you put it, is based on actually owning some HD's with factory air.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I will, when I was there I didn't have the extra time for that. I will do that tomorrow. I just put new michelins on mine and it rides so darn good I'm hesitant to get rid of it.
I did that right away on my 22 also, put Michelins on it. Got decent money out of the stock Firestones. They only had 1000 miles on them. They sold FAST.
The rear air in the 2024's had me thinking maybe they would ride even better. plus the few times I pull the boat out for service or take the camper out, I figured maybe it would be a nice change to try the air suspension.
I'm stuck on Air or coils, Granite metallic, Delmonico or Patriot blue limited mega cabs, and Night edition or regular with the chrome.
I've got a few more weeks to figure it out, lol
Good luck on the decisions. It took me better than a month to put my order together. I was in no hurry and wanted to get it right (for me). But I never had any doubt that air suspension was going to be part of the package.

OP
OP
Madcane

Madcane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Test drove it today, rode equally great on the Hwy. had no idea it crept up to 93, I might just trade the old girl in. I might like the air with my occasional use of our camper or boat trailer.
Now I'm stuck between limited mega cab Delmonico with night addition or limited mega cab Delmonico with the normal chrome.
Only difference on the sticker is the night addition has the 800$ rear view mirror with side view and trailer steering knob.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Test drove it today, rode equally great on the Hwy. had no idea it crept up to 93, I might just trade the old girl in. I might like the air with my occasional use of our camper or boat trailer.
Now I'm stuck between limited mega cab Delmonico with night addition or limited mega cab Delmonico with the normal chrome.
Only difference on the sticker is the night addition has the 800$ rear view mirror with side view and trailer steering knob.
Night edition!! It is the best looking truck made. IMO!!

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I've got a 2020 1500 Limited with the air suspension and for 60,000 miles have had zero problem
I love the ride and when compared to the 2016 with springs, the ride is much smoother. I definitely notice the difference when pulling my boat. I also love the fact that I can lower the suspension when hooking up the trailer.

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Here we go again, negative comments about something the guy doesn't have. We have a 1500 with four corner air and it sits outside in 100 degrees and zero degrees. Have over 40K miles and pull a travel trailer. No issues in fact I like the system when loading and unloading. Oh, and the truck has etorque as well, just another thing that people can comment on.