Anyone Successful with Self Parking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMVANMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited. It has the self park feature. I have turned it on several times and tried the perpendicular parking. I had turn signal on. I can see the parking spaces in the graphic display but the truck does not ever choose one or start the parking protocols. I am actually not likely to use it...maybe the parallel function....but just curious if anyone has successfully used the function?

My wife's Volvo has self park. We took it to an empty church parking lot and tested it out. It worked fine but was just too weird. It makes a lot of back and forward motions to make things perfect. The Ram manual says it is limited to 8 back and forths before it gives up.

I imagine folks behind you would get mad at your for taking so long to park.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Wife has it on her Grand Cherokee.
The salesman demonstrated it when we were buying it. Sets it to perpendicular park into this narrow space.
I'm thinking, why do I want to wedge this thing in between two other vehicles? So they can bang their doors into it?
Never tried out the parallel self park feature. Don't go anywhere that would require parallel parking.

OP
OP
R

RAMVANMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
From the manual and videos, it appears as it only backs in to the perpindicular spots, not forward in....maybe I did not go far enough past a spot for it to back into...will try again someday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RAMVANMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
It does not want to choose parking spaces that don't have cars on either side (recognize stripes as parking spaces without cars on either side). I am not sure I want to do that test without having backed into a spot with no cars on either side first to see how it works....or does not.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
It does not want to choose parking spaces that don't have cars on either side (recognize stripes as parking spaces without cars on either side). I am not sure I want to do that test without having backed into a spot with no cars on either side first to see how it works....or does not.
You don't lose control of the truck when it's parking. It does the steering for those that have never learned how to back up. You still need to operate the gearshift dial during the process. And, it's not moving very fast. The sales person should have demo'd the feature at time of delivery. Like I said, I back into parking spots as often as possible. Rare occasions where it's against "the law" to back in or with angled parking where nosing in is necessary but otherwise I'll back in and a lot faster than letting the truck find a spot and slowly creep into it.

OP
OP
R

RAMVANMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
You don't lose control of the truck when it's parking. It does the steering for those that have never learned how to back up. You still need to operate the gearshift dial during the process. And, it's not moving very fast. The sales person should have demo'd the feature at time of delivery. Like I said, I back into parking spots as often as possible. Rare occasions where it's against "the law" to back in or with angled parking where nosing in is necessary but otherwise I'll back in and a lot faster than letting the truck find a spot and slowly creep into it.
I did not get a full demo due to Covid. My dealer let me just take the truck home and then they came to my home the next day to do paperwork and get paid. They answered a few questions based on what I did not figure out on my own but I did not want to be in the truck with anyone. We did not have a parking lot to test the parking on. I am not too concerned about the self parking function and will not likley use it as we dont use it in the wife's car. I certainly like the 360 camera and warnings. I was glad to pay for those...would not have paid any extra for the self park.

anchorsaweigh

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why not just learn to park? Honestly, they're building the skill OUT of driving. If you managed to obtain a drivers license and you're too mentally challenged to park your vehicle, turn in your keys.

OP
OP
R

RAMVANMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
Why not just learn to park? Honestly, they're building the skill OUT of driving. If you managed to obtain a drivers license and you're too mentally challenged to park your vehicle, turn in your keys.
Oh, you didn't know.....this truck does not come with keys.

gray_flhxs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi, 5.7
Oh, you didn't know.....this truck does not come with keys.
I am on my my first RAM and first keyless vehicle. After 2 months, I am almost used to it. As for not reaching for the gear shift, that's a whole different issue. And the front window switches on the armrest re a little to far forward. lol

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I am on my my first RAM and first keyless vehicle. After 2 months, I am almost used to it. As for not reaching for the gear shift, that's a whole different issue. And the front window switches on the armrest re a little to far forward. lol

Lol. Almost every time I go to open the window I hit the back window switch instead of the front.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your arms are to short, LOL, mine are just right 2014 sport, are the new ones different?
auto parking just sound wrong. My Ram is easier to park with the parking censers than the wife's CRV with out them, you can't see much out the back, other than the side mirrors, though I did install a back up camera , big difference now.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I self park all the time. My truck doesn't do it for me.

dodgehemi0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport Crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried it for fun it works, but it takes a lot longer to park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited. It has the self park feature. I have turned it on several times and tried the perpendicular parking. I had turn signal on. I can see the parking spaces in the graphic display but the truck does not ever choose one or start the parking protocols. I am actually not likely to use it...maybe the parallel function....but just curious if anyone has successfully used the function?

My wife's Volvo has self park. We took it to an empty church parking lot and tested it out. It worked fine but was just too weird. It makes a lot of back and forward motions to make things perfect. The Ram manual says it is limited to 8 back and forths before it gives up.

I imagine folks behind you would get mad at your for taking so long to park.
I have, but it's not as slick as any of the Volvo systems I tired.

I've only gotten it to work when it had two vehicles that were in it's acceptable range of widths.

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
System does not see lines. only works for me when it sees a space between vehicles.