Anyone switched to 87 octane?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
So, you have been messing with modern cars with multiple computers on board that keep everything running smoothly at, what, gigabyte speeds. But, you aren't a mchanic, and, have none of the training and/or expertise. Boy, your smart.
That's right, most of the guys doing tuning aren't mechanics, im sure you have noticed right?

Try a little harder homie lol

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I ran 89 when I first got the truck. As prices climbed I switched. I started thinking I have no way to tell what the first guy used. So far trucks run fine fingers crossed.
89 is better than 87 that's for sure but not good enough for me to risk failure down the road ...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
YOU GO HOMIE
Oh you mad mad eh? Rent free in your head right ? .... Try this bs with someone else HOMIE seriously, living in Southern California where street racing was all that was happening in the 90s and early 2000s being able to tune your own cars/trucks was necessary, only reason I am not tuning my own truck right now as I just posted in another thread is the fact that I don't feel like spending $1500 to $2000 to do things right .... if you know math and can operate a computer/laptop you can tune any vehicle without being a mechanic and that is a fact .... being a mechanic of course gives you a huge advantage as you understand the effects of everything but you don't need to be a mechanic lol ...

BUT YOU GO HOMIE

:bleh:

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I'll continue to run 87.
89 isn't available and 91 is a waste of an extra $.65/gal.
If I listened to every keyboard commando expert I never would have bought a Ram in the first place since they are all doomed to failure between the faulty transmissions, premature valve wear and warping exhaust manifolds...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I'll continue to run 87.
89 isn't available and 91 is a waste of an extra $.65/gal.
If I listened to every keyboard commando expert I never would have bought a Ram in the first place since they are all doomed to failure between the faulty transmissions, premature valve wear and warping exhaust manifolds...
So every person on this thread who has noticed a drop in power, mpg and just sluggish performance on their truck running 87 is a keyboard commando expert ? Why get upset when we have hands on proof that 87 is bad for these engines?

But hey, save those extra .65 pennies lol now, but later down the road you will definitely believe us keyboard commando experts lol ... then you will be spending thousands on repairs ... funny, you guys wont spend an extra $20-30 bucks to fill up with good gas but will spend that on junk food, cigarettes, starbucks, red bulls lol ... wow priorities sure have changed lol

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
" funny, you guys wont spend an extra $20-30 bucks to fill up with good gas but will spend that on junk food, cigarettes, starbucks, red bulls lol ... wow priorities sure have changed lol"
I don't waste money on any of that crap either...
I do however spend the extra $.40/gal for 87 no eth vs 87/10% eth...
Didn't really notice any change in performance but I do get 2mps better.
I tried 91oct for a couple tanks last summer when it was still reasonable but didn't notice any change at all in mileage or performance so I stopped...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I don'

I don't waste money on any of that crap either...
Well hopefully you don't end up regretting using 87 on your truck .... Have you even tried 91 just to see how your truck does on it? ... if you don't spend money on any of that crap then why not try 91 for a bit so you can see the difference? .... We are only trying to help out, but seems that you guys are getting your bloomers all up in a bunch lol ...

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Well hopefully you don't end up regretting using 87 on your truck .... Have you even tried 91 just to see how your truck does on it? ... if you don't spend money on any of that crap then why not try 91 for a bit so you can see the difference? .... We are only trying to help out, but seems that you guys are getting your bloomers all up in a bunch lol ...
Gas stations are not famous for being purveyors of purity and some have been cited for dispensing diluted product even going for the cheap “watering hole” tactics to increase profits.

Couple that with the inflamed economy and production strategies to increase demand we are far from the good old days of gas wars and increasing the likelihood of being victimized.

The only silver lining I see is buying non ethanol fuel and not feeling the guilt for paying the exorbitant price that ethanol pump fuel has been.

Just be thankful if you live in the United States because else where they are buying a liter for about the same price as our gallon
( 1 gallon = 3.785 liters )
Theoretically someone purchasing ethanol enriched 87 it might actually be 83 octane and in equal measure the 91 actually 87 octane .

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Theoretically someone purchasing ethanol enriched 87 it might actually be 83 octane and in equal measure the 91 actually 87 octane .

Are you sure about that, because my understanding is that ethanol raises the octane level, while also keeping your engine cooler.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
you guys have a finer touch than I. my ram seems to me to run great and always performs well and I always use regular. in nearly 60 years of car/truck ownership, I think that back in the 70's was the only time I bought high octane fuel because I had a new corvette and there was a SUNACO station here in town where leadfoots like me could buy any grade they wanted and it was cool to say " I'm running 95" or whatever.

Dirt_Dobber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8 MDS VVT eTorque Engine
The owners manual correct octane is 89 for Ram 1500 with 5.7 Hemi
go to 3:16 of this point YouTube video and forward...

Now when you're using the correct octane fuel the spark ignites the fuel and the flame starts at the spark and travels outwards. This is a smooth and even burn that creates pressure to push the piston Downwards and then the exhaust gasses are forced out of the cylinder and the process repeats.

Now, let's take a look at the combustion process when you use a fuel with a lower octane than the manufacturer requires so the fuel and air mixture is pulled into the combustion chamber and the spark plug ignites it just like normal. But as the flame moves outwards the pressure inside the cylinder increases and causes pockets of fuel to ignite unevenly and this creates an explosion rather than a smooth burn and that metallic naki here is the uneven explosion which could damage the piston piston rings
valves head gasket and even the block so higher octane fuel prevents detonation in forced induction and higher compression engines.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Are you sure about that, because my understanding is that ethanol raises the octane level, while also keeping your engine cooler.
You’re literally taking a quote out of context

But to answer your question “yes” because they would need to remove the water first.

Last edited:

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Hello!

With these great gas prices we are experiencing! Has anyone switched to 87 octane from 89. I haven’t yet. I will next fill up! I never thought I would! But this is getting ridiculous!
Take care,
Matt
Like others I only use 87! My operators manual says 87 or 89. I assume that the computer (based on a knock sensor) will just back the timeing down if it needs to. So you might give up a few HP if it does. Are they necessary?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
We're you using a scantool to watch knock retard before 87 and while running 87?
If you take a scan tool out of it and just think about what is going on here. If 50% of the people say there is a difference noticeable between 87 and 91, but 50% says there is no difference, wouldn't the first group trump the second? There are people just not that tuned to care about what is going on, so they say no difference. But the group that is saying there is a difference is just as large, imo means the group who saying there is no issue really aren't denying it, they are just saying "THEY" don't see any difference, not that there is actually no difference. My truck is tuned on point, when I run rpm's the throttle response is incredible w/o a throttle aide. Even if I drop rpm's and hit the gas it responds like a champ. But, that is on 91, if I attempt the same thing on 87 I will have hesitation.

So if you think there is no difference on 87, I suggest those guys play some throttle games and try it in 91 as well, that is where it shows up. How responsive the throttle is when you are running rpm's and when you drop rpm'***** the gas and tell me it is the same then after trying both.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you take a scan tool out of it and just think about what is going on here. If 50% of the people say there is a difference noticeable between 87 and 91, but 50% says there is no difference, wouldn't the first group trump the second? There are people just not that tuned to care about what is going on, so they say no difference. But the group that is saying there is a difference is just as large, imo means the group who saying there is no issue really aren't denying it, they are just saying "THEY" don't see any difference, not that there is actually no difference. My truck is tuned on point, when I run rpm's the throttle response is incredible w/o a throttle aide. Even if I drop rpm's and hit the gas it responds like a champ. But, that is on 91, if I attempt the same thing on 87 I will have hesitation.

So if you think there is no difference on 87, I suggest those guys play some throttle games and try it in 91 as well, that is where it shows up. How responsive the throttle is when you are running rpm's and when you drop rpm'***** the gas and tell me it is the same then after trying both.
Careful now, thats applying logic;)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What does optimum performance mean and why would they use those words in the owners manual? You can use 87 and there likely wont ever be an issue, but it is not optimum performance. Neither is 91, but I use 91 because costco here doesnt sell 89.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat