Anyone switched to 87 octane?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The new GM's with the big motor and 10 speed kick a 5.7/8sp's ass to the curb. A young neighbour has one,and the damn thing is impressive as all hell,plus pulls down better milege then the hemi will,but the truck has already been in for new pushrods at about the 15,000 mile mark

That transmission is not good, I have heard.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the 10spd auto in my F150 and it doesn’t hold a candle to the ZF. I haven’t had any problems with it but it does skip a lot of gears trying to get to top gear which I’m not particularly fond of. It goes through all the gears if you put it in Sport mode but holds them too long for normal driving. Maybe GMs programming is different, I don’t know for sure.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I can't believe GM is trying to pass it off as an Allison. I have a real Allison - the World 1000 Series in my RV (6 speed). What a rock! Perfect shifting, too.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I have the 10spd auto in my F150 and it doesn’t hold a candle to the ZF. I haven’t had any problems with it but it does skip a lot of gears trying to get to top gear which I’m not particularly fond of. It goes through all the gears if you put it in Sport mode but holds them too long for normal driving. Maybe GMs programming is different, I don’t know for sure.

They do program them differently, if it's better or not is a different question, but they each have their own programming.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

GM's transmission is definitely different tuning. The mechanical bits came from Ford, beyond that GM did all the software for their own applications.

The GM 10 speed in the half ton is also "different" than the GM 10 speed in the heavy duty. It has its roots in the Ford 10 speed, but I've read that it's different (also mechanically) than both the Ford 10 speed and the Gm half ton 10 speed.

Who knows. I'm pretty sure the GM guys are tickled pink with the half ton 10 speed, no complaints about jerking or in the wrong gear..... but then again look where they came from, that 8 speed was pretty poor.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just looked it up, according to this assistant chief engineer from GM, the heavy duty "allison" 10 speed was not co-developed with Ford, it's a different transmission. Ford's super duty 10 speed is also different than their half ton 10 speed.

So looks like 4 different 10 speeds, and they only share mechanical bits in the half tons.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yep, the ZF is hard to beat, but for the absurd maintenance regimen. If they only would have made a DOHC V8 (non-Hemi), then we'd really be in business. Nope, instead we get a BMW engine. Perfect for an American Pickup Truck. :rolleyes:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
What is octane?

“In recent years, car manufacturers have been requiring or recommending premium gasoline (a high-octane grade of fuel) for use in more of their vehicle models. The difference in prices between premium and lower octane grades has also increased. As a result, more people are curious about what octane is and what those octane rating numbers on gas pumps mean.

Octane ratings are measures of fuel stability. These ratings are based on the pressure at which a fuel will spontaneously combust (auto-ignite) in a testing engine. The octane number is actually the simple average of two different octane rating methods—motor octane rating (MOR) and research octane rating (RON)—that differ primarily in the specifics of the operating conditions. The higher an octane number, the more stable the fuel. Retail gasoline stations in the United States sell three main grades of gasoline based on the octane level:

• Regular (the lowest octane fuel–generally 87)
  • Midgrade (the middle range octane fuel–generally 89–90)
  • Premium (the highest octane fuel–generally 91–94).
Some companies have different names for these grades of gasoline, such as unleaded, super, or super premium, but they all refer to the octane rating.”

(from the US Energy information administration)

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't believe GM is trying to pass it off as an Allison. I have a real Allison - the World 1000 Series in my RV (6 speed). What a rock! Perfect shifting, too.
And they get around that legally by calling it "Allison Branded".

The old Allison 1000s were virtually indestructible. Plus that outside filter was slick

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
And they get around that legally by calling it "Allison Branded".

The old Allison 1000s were virtually indestructible. Plus that outside filter was slick

I know! I own one! In my Chevy Kodiak C5500 Commercial Truck Chassis Cab. Model Year 2005.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

I test drove a Silverado ZR2 today, 6.2L with the 10 speed. I found it to be much smoother than Ford's 3.5EB with 10 speed. How much of that is programming vs how much is big NA motor vs midsize turbo motor is something I can't answer, but I suspect motor choice matters a lot in terms of both smooth power delivery and in programming.

FWIW, I thought the Silverado was a very nice truck and a strong effort by Chevy. I don't think I liked it as much as a Power Wagon, though.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I test drove a Silverado ZR2 today, 6.2L with the 10 speed. I found it to be much smoother than Ford's 3.5EB with 10 speed. How much of that is programming vs how much is big NA motor vs midsize turbo motor is something I can't answer, but I suspect motor choice matters a lot in terms of both smooth power delivery and in programming.

FWIW, I thought the Silverado was a very nice truck and a strong effort by Chevy. I don't think I liked it as much as a Power Wagon, though.
I used to love Chevy, especially the Silverados, but no way will I ever pay for those trucks now, they look like toys, the trim they use looks like it belongs on a gocart ... way too much trim especially on the front ends ... the interiors are even worse lol ...

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I used to love Chevy, especially the Silverados, but no way will I ever pay for those trucks now, they look like toys, the trim they use looks like it belongs on a gocart ... way too much trim especially on the front ends ... the interiors are even worse lol ...

I wouldn't give a 2021 a second glance, looked cheap and trashy. 2022 is a giant step up, especially in the highest trims.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L

I drove my cousin's 1500 Trailboss w/ 5.3L and I swear that thing rode rougher than my PW.
The inside didn't hold a candle to mine either.
But I agree it did shift smoothly...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
But....but... they have those cool vent things in the bumper into the wheel wells:D

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I drove my cousin's 1500 Trailboss w/ 5.3L and I swear that thing rode rougher than my PW.
The inside didn't hold a candle to mine either.
But I agree it did shift smoothly...

In fairness, Trailboss comes in some pretty low level trims. A Custom or LT isn't going to compare nearly as well as a ZR2 interior wise.

The ZR2 rode real smooth over potholes, railroad tracks, etc at speed. The DSSV shocks are a big step up, similar to Fox or the like. You can't base the ride of the ZR2 on a Trailboss any more than you can a Raptor by driving a FX4.

The PW is an awesome ride, though, no doubt, and feels well planted and controlled.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
In fairness, Trailboss comes in some pretty low level trims. A Custom or LT isn't going to compare nearly as well as a ZR2 interior wise.

The ZR2 rode real smooth over potholes, railroad tracks, etc at speed. The DSSV shocks are a big step up, similar to Fox or the like. You can't base the ride of the ZR2 on a Trailboss any more than you can a Raptor by driving a FX4.

The PW is an awesome ride, though, no doubt, and feels well planted and controlled.
I will tell you this, everyone that his rode or in my truck loves the way it handles, the fox shocks are awesome on this truck, I was expecting it to be bumpy and hard but with the fox shocks my truck feels so much better than stock ...

I have driven chevy and fords and stock or lifted I don't like the stiff feeling, they feel like uhaul trucks, even the sounds when you go over bumps, railroad tracks and those steel plates on the ground when they are working on the roads, there is something about Rams that reduces all that noise, at least in my truck it's very quiet except of course for the Carven exhaust, but even before I added the carven, my truck was smooth and quite ... sometimes very eerie quiet lol ..