Anyone with 4x4 1500 do you put weight in the back during winter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noodles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't mainly because I don't drive the truck often.
If I was going to, I would buy tube sand and have 2-4 of those in the bed. Can come in handy if you get stuck :)
ha! last time I did that was 26 yrs ago on a Toyota (remember the locking hubs?). But, the thing was amazing in the snow.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah, the days of locking hubs. We are so spoiled now. I feel spoiled and I don't even have full time 4WD .

nanuk-O-dah-Nort

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
The easiest potentially useful material to carry for winter weight is a couple of bales of hay. They’ll absorb water and get heavier and if you get stuck you can cut a band and you have ready to go traction material. In the spring cut the bands and add to a compost pile.

my bales weight 1850# each

that'd add some weight!

nanuk-O-dah-Nort

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
the best setup I've seen is a steel plate cut/welded to fit inside the box, and bolted through the floor.
oilfield service trucks used to have these, 1/4 diamond plate for 275# or 1/2" diamond plate for 550#

never in the way, and easily removable with a lift

edit to add: my ideal setup would be a 3/8" diamond plate, not widened to go around the wheel humps, so you could slide it out. Add on top a few sand bags/kitty litter boxes for helping others for traction.
That should get you about 450#. You can move the sand/litter to front/back as needed.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I have never added weight to the bed. Living in western PA we get our share of snow. A guy I used to work with used to dump a loader bucket of snow in the bed of his 2WD truck. Figured by the time the snow melted he didn't need the extra weight then...lol

Reactions: BWL

jerboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 1500
Engine
I have a reg cab short bed and I can tell a big improvement in ride with 3 or 4 hundred lbs.

oilslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn Built to Serve edition
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
I live in the snowy mountains of northern Pa. and never needed extra weight. I just use studded snow tires and never had an issue getting stuck.

:cheers:

Reactions: BWL

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I burn coal for supplemental heat that I get in 40 pound bags,
often if a major storm is coming I'll throw several bads in the back of the truck.

10 bags in a row at the rear of the truck on top of my studded snow tires and I usually get around OK.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Always put about 1,000 pounds, but I had to pull people out of ditches all the time and having that weight helped. With a few hundred inches a year, you're everyone's best friend in the winter.