Anzo U Bar Headlights / HID Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

syonxwf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello! I'm new to the forums here, I don't normally browse Ram forums since it's my wife's truck, but I am at a bit of a loss here.

My wife loves the Anzo U Bar headlights found here which states on nearly every website I've found them "DOES NOT FIT RAM MODELS WITH FACTORY PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS"...I don't have a damn clue if she has projector headlights or not, hell I don't even know what my car has lol.

We have a 2013 Ram 1500 Express with 5.7L hemi, I'm trying to find a picture of the front so you guys can see what the headlights currently look like, but I'll have to post that in a few when I find it.

My questions: are these Anzo U Bar headlights going to work in her truck? Do I need to use HID's? Will the existing bulbs work well enough for her to see or will they be too dull? Do I need a HID kit or just the HID bulbs? Should she just go with halogen? (Sorry if a question is repeated in different wording or seems basic :/)

I assume I have to buy HID's, and was reading through other posts basically saying I should get them from JJ at retro. My wife...begrudgingly...wants pink HID's though...*shudder*...so...I don't even know where to start because I don't know anything about headlights or HID's. My VW is easy because the LED headlight kit comes with everything I need, and then uses the existing bulbs, but I read somewhere you can't use the existing bulbs from the RAM either because they won't work or because they wont be bright enough. Someone else I read said they used HID and thought it was a hassle so they went with Halogen...I'm lost when it comes to lights and what will or won't work :/

I feel a little ********...I did every upgrade on my car other than my clutch, but I don't know what I'm doing with her headlights lol!

Any insight?

Edit: Best photo I've found so far (not mine, but her truck exactly)...also not a good photo, but will upload another when I find a better quality one. Here!

Edit 2: Here we go!

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
you don't have the projectors.

you can use them without HIDs, and I'd highly recommend that you tell your wife that pink HIDs - whats the best way to say this...........NO. We don't sell them for a reason, output SUCKS 4300-6K only!

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
those will fit on your truck. you don't need HIDs but its highly recommended

OP
OP
S

syonxwf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
those will fit on your truck. you don't need HIDs but its highly recommended

Are they not bright enough if you don't get HID's? She does a ton of driving in the dark and already can't see well when it's dark out, so if that's the case she definitely needs HID's.

OP
OP
S

syonxwf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you don't have the projectors.

you can use them without HIDs, and I'd highly recommend that you tell your wife that pink HIDs - whats the best way to say this...........NO. We don't sell them for a reason, output SUCKS 4300-6K only!

Ah sweet, the man of the hour has arrived!
:king:

(I've trolled in these forums a few times and you appear to be king of headlights :gr_grin:)

What should I look for in an HID light? 12k violet?
Would I have more trouble than I need going with something like this?

I've heard tons of good things about your lights and kits, so I know there has to be a reason why these are $49-60 and yours are $150, but I don't know why that is. I just don't want to have to wire anything, have any flickering, or CEL from installing new headlights (I'm terrible with wiring) so plug in play is key ;)

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you can buy the headlights and see what they look like with regular halogen bulbs, but it wont be much different then what she is using now. it will look better, but the light output wont be any better.

for her safety, its highly recommended to use HIDs for a clear and bright uniform beam pattern

I will step aside and let Jeremy handle this one ;)

OP
OP
S

syonxwf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you can buy the headlights and see what they look like with regular halogen bulbs, but it wont be much different then what she is using now. it will look better, but the light output wont be any better.

for her safety, its highly recommended to use HIDs for a clear and bright uniform beam pattern

I will step aside and let Jeremy handle this one ;)

Well if the lighting quality doesn't go down, but essentially stays the same, that would be okay for now. I can buy the HID's now if I have to, but if buying the higher priced ones from Retro means an easier install and better quality, I will do that. The existing halogens will go into the U Bar headlights and I can basically plug and play them though? If so I will try to buy them tomorrow so they can be here shortly after Christmas for her ;)

OP
OP
S

syonxwf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Removed the top questions, probably going with retroshop's HID kit.

Edit2: Looking at retroshop, I noticed that you can get either quad or dual HID kits for my Ram...how do I know which ones I need to get?
I think I've got the wattage down, and what Kelvin I want, but not sure if I need to get quad's or duals. I guess I assume duals, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'll go away after this I promise!

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
says they use a H9 bulb, since none of the rams come with that bulb that I know of you would likely have to order a "dual" kit and leave a note H9 bulbs

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Well.........its a weird combo on yours...........I think.

H9 bulbs, which are a standard single filament bulb. The projector cares for the high / low....but I'm not sure how it gets that trigger (never had a set of those in my hands to look at them). I assume it has an internal wiring harness for that part.

SO........nab a quad low beam kit, put in the notes "H9" and all set. I'll have to get it drop shipped........I don't stock H9 bulbs - and.....the mad rush lately has left me with 0 ballasts. More coming in Monday and Tuesday, but....yeah. ;)

wolfpackfan33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im going through pretty much the same thing with my truck. I think its defiantly going to be worth the money to order the lights from JJ. You get what you pay for. The stock headlights on the rams suck!!!