It will void your warranty if your dealer installs a Mopar limited slip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
The solution to your problem is VERY simple. At least it was for me. I simply found a good shop took the RAM to them told them what I wanted and NEVER told RAM what I have done. PLUS this aftermarket unit is better and stronger than the OEM unit. So I win out in the long run. It was $200 more than the factory installed unit but I want what I want and no reason to have a 4wd that does not put power down to both back wheels.My truck is now almost out of warranty and they have never known. As well as there is a law on the books that states we can mod our trucks and ONLY that part will not be warranted.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
My $0.02. Add the mopar unit by a certified offroad shop. Do not tell anyone. If something goes wrong with the unit do not take it to RAM. They will never know.

If your motor or such has a warranrlty issue and you go to RAM, no one in the shop is going to the rear diff and going WHOA! Someone added a LSD!

My4thRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 1500 Classic Tradesman
Engine
V6 Pentastar
I have owned a 2005 2wd and a 2005 4wd both with LSD.
I now own a 2019 Classic 4wd without LSD, I bought it because it was a low mileage, 9 month old truck at a good deal.
I thought at the time that I would probably have to add the LSD later, since I pull boat trailers and such.

Too my surprise, this truck in 2wd with just the traction control, is better than the previous trucks 2wd performance with LSD. You just hold steady light throttle and the anti lock brake system works it's magic. It power brakes like an old pro. LOL

Everyone knows that there is no need to pump brakes anymore in panic stop, but just mash the pedal firmly, the ABS works. But most don't realize the system also works great to prevent spinning, if you just use steady light throttle. You will sense when the system starts pulsing brakes just like you do when it kicks in on hard braking.

Unless you have already tested it under real driving conditions , or plan on an actual electronic locker, I think you may be not accomplishing much difference in performance.

YMMV

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
they voided my new 2021 rebel warranty for installing after market wheels even though the same size and same size tires. I had a wheel bearing go bad and took it in for repair and ended up having to pay for these reasons. Dam FICA is a screwed up company. Wished i had not bought the ram and still had my tundra
Q did the new rims you bought have the same off set/back spacing as the factory rims, my guess is they did not and that is why you had to pay for a failed wheel bearing an not FCA warranty....

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I recently purchased a used 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 from the same dealer I have purchased two other new Jeeps (‘17 Rubincon Unlimited, ‘21 Gladiator Rubicon diesel) from in the last six years. This truck had only 1200 miles on it when I bought it and was like new, except for some small dings in the paint (another story, for another post.) I had planned to just buy a new 2023 or order a 2024, but when my dealer asked me to consider a low mileage truck with everything I wanted, I agreed. The truck I bought had everything I wanted except limited-slip. When I asked about having it installed, the salesperson told me that it would void the entire warranty on the vehicle, including the original warranty and extended Certified Used Car warranty that also came with it. When I mentioned the SEMA law (Magnusson-Moss Act) they just ignored me. I talked to the parts department, same story. If I bought a new Mopar limited-slip differential and had the dealer install it, it would void all warranties on the entire car. When I pressed him about the MMA, he said it would just void the warranty on the entire rear end. Per recommendations I received on this web site I contacted RAM Care and received a case number. After an email or two, some long waits on hold, and three different RC folks, I was told that any modification to a vehicle from its’ original state of manufacture, even if it was a part or accessory that could have been ordered as an option, would void the warranty. Period. Even if it was a genuine Mopar part installed by a RAM dealer.

Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed. I’ve spent about $200,000 on new Stellantis vehicles in the last six years. Overall, I’ve been pretty satisfied with my local dealer. But I’m not someone who knows nothing about cars, accessories, and warranties. I’m a former professional mechanic, and I’ve worked in a dealership. At one time I was certified to teach auto repair in the state of Arizona. At one time I was the fleet manager for a large public utilitY. I have a home shop equipped with more tools than some garages. I’m retired and enjoying the luxury of new vehicles with warranties and spending my spare time restoring my classic cars and motorcycles. I simply cannot understand why I can’t pay my local dealer to install a factory part that could have been ordered on the truck originally. The service department is willing to do it if RAM care will approve It.

The bottom line is that RAM Care… doesn’t.
This is true even if a MOPAR cold intake filter is installed, the engine warranty is VOID. Best to leave the ruck the way it comes from the factory. However mud flaps don't void anything, and that's about all you can do. Even a lift kit installed by the dealer is a VOID>

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They are wrong. If you buy a factory part and have it installed by factory-certified mechanics (e.g. the dealership) then it is covered under Chrysler's warranties (basic and extended). Even if they are claiming that there it is not covered they should have a warranty for their work so that's already suspicious.

Some were going the factory 2" lift route when the 5th gen first came out because it was warrantied.

Your basic warranty specifically states that using non-FCA parts or parts not certified for your truck will void your warranty. The limited slip meets both of those requirements:

View attachment 526025

My MaxCare ESP says that anything not authorized by FCA is not covered but that any FCA mechanical or accessory part installed by an authorized dealer is covered.

The intent is obvious that as long as it is approved for the truck and installed by a dealer then it's covered (if it's in the dealer's parts system for your truck and it is installed by the dealer's service department). Some will split hairs to avoid any possible responsibility or chance of non-reimbursement from FCA.
I think if the parts are installed by a dealer, that is the dealer you would have to use for warranty issues no other dealer will honor it.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
I think if the parts are installed by a dealer, that is the dealer you would have to use for warranty issues no other dealer will honor it.
Work done at one dealer is honored by all dealers. Had a #4 injector line on my 5.9 replaced by a dealer in Canada and when the line failed again within the warranty period a dealer in Tulsa honored the warranty.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Work done at one dealer is honored by all dealers. Had a #4 injector line on my 5.9 replaced by a dealer in Canada and when the line failed again within the warranty period a dealer in Tulsa honored the warranty.
That's a different circumstance, the dealer did not install a different part as the truck came from the factory so yes it would be covered nationwide.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
That's a different circumstance, the dealer did not install a different part as the truck came from the factory so yes it would be covered nationwide.
As long as it is genuine fca parts the work is honored by all dealers

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As long as it is genuine fca parts the work is honored by all dealers
op said he checked and it was not covered by Ram the mother ship but , the dealer would have to cover his job done with mopar parts only that dealer would cover the work. It is kinder hard to understand but that is what the dealers do like side work so they would only cover the job they did.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you want a Dodge dealership to upgrade a part & that part was a Mopar option.
If the dealership is willing to do it, they should add that Option CODE to the Equipment Listing, Add On sheet, whatever it is called.

On my 2009 Dodge Ram, purchased new from a dealership.
about 7 months after i bought it, Mopar added a locking tailgate to the 2010 models.
I asked the Service Department, if it as possible to add the lock to my tailgate, i walked into the parts department to see if they had the parts in stock, they did not have it, but the Los Angeles Warehouse is less than 150 miles away.
He also said that i should know that they added tailgate cameras to the 2010 models.
I went back to the Service Dept. & told the service advisor,
He took the initiative to go get the Parts Dept. guy & the 3 of us walked to a 2010 Dodge Ram fancy model.
He took the tailgate inspection cover off found some numbers, the Parts guy took pix.
My parts were ordered & installed, apparently a tech was not real happy with having to run the wire loom from the tailgate to the engine compartment & back to the radio.
The Service Adviser told him that he thought that they would be getting several requests.

BUT, that was back when Chrysler was running the show ..............

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently purchased a used 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 from the same dealer I have purchased two other new Jeeps (‘17 Rubincon Unlimited, ‘21 Gladiator Rubicon diesel) from in the last six years. This truck had only 1200 miles on it when I bought it and was like new, except for some small dings in the paint (another story, for another post.) I had planned to just buy a new 2023 or order a 2024, but when my dealer asked me to consider a low mileage truck with everything I wanted, I agreed. The truck I bought had everything I wanted except limited-slip. When I asked about having it installed, the salesperson told me that it would void the entire warranty on the vehicle, including the original warranty and extended Certified Used Car warranty that also came with it. When I mentioned the SEMA law (Magnusson-Moss Act) they just ignored me. I talked to the parts department, same story. If I bought a new Mopar limited-slip differential and had the dealer install it, it would void all warranties on the entire car. When I pressed him about the MMA, he said it would just void the warranty on the entire rear end. Per recommendations I received on this web site I contacted RAM Care and received a case number. After an email or two, some long waits on hold, and three different RC folks, I was told that any modification to a vehicle from its’ original state of manufacture, even if it was a part or accessory that could have been ordered as an option, would void the warranty. Period. Even if it was a genuine Mopar part installed by a RAM dealer.

Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed. I’ve spent about $200,000 on new Stellantis vehicles in the last six years. Overall, I’ve been pretty satisfied with my local dealer. But I’m not someone who knows nothing about cars, accessories, and warranties. I’m a former professional mechanic, and I’ve worked in a dealership. At one time I was certified to teach auto repair in the state of Arizona. At one time I was the fleet manager for a large public utilitY. I have a home shop equipped with more tools than some garages. I’m retired and enjoying the luxury of new vehicles with warranties and spending my spare time restoring my classic cars and motorcycles. I simply cannot understand why I can’t pay my local dealer to install a factory part that could have been ordered on the truck originally. The service department is willing to do it if RAM care will approve It.

The bottom line is that RAM Care… doesn’t.
Do it yourself, if you really want it. Should have done that and never mentioned it. Who'da known?