Are there any bad years for the cummins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm exploring the idea of upgrading to a 2500. I have a 5th gen 1500 right now and love it, but thinking I might want to tow more in the future around 7000 to 8000 pounds.

I'll probably only go for the cummins as I've read to many "bad" reports about the 4th gen 2500's with 6.4 and poor shifting performance (transmission). The 4.5 gen 6.4 with 8 speed seems to be worlds better but it's probably out of price range, or bumping up against an older cummins which dollar for dollar I would prefer of course.

So not terribly worried about age, just want to make sure there are no problem years with a new release or emissions, kind of like how the 5.7 is a tricky purchase from 2009 to 2014 with many getting the tick.

And how many miles can one expect a well maintained cummins + truck itself to last? If I get one, it would be mainly highway miles with a second purchase being a little run around for getting groceries in town etc.

Edit: I'm do know about the low-ish payload available with 2500 diesel, with my trailer and forseeable future, 8000 pounds will be my max for a number of years anyway so payload won't be an issue for me. My current truck can pull my load great in terms of power, but not so well in terms of being stable and easy to hook up and go. The 2500 should be much more stable and the diesel should hopefully make the long drives effortless and hopefully better on gas.

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
If you get a Cummings, get the 3500. You will not be happy with the payload of a 2500 due to the Cummings being a 1000 pounds heavier than the 6.4.
The Cummins weights about 1060Lbs total. I doubt the 6.4 only weights 60 Lbs. It actually weighs 500 Lbs.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The engine itself will last forever.

Things to watch: RFE transmissions have no tolerance for extra power. Turbo actuators die and are not fun to deal with. The exhaust system in my old one had no tolerance for any temperature below -18C (random codes, ghost DPF plugging, codes would disappear upon restart or when the sensors would warm up at traffic lights, dealer ‘can’t find anything’). Lifetime fuel economy for my diesel was only 1L/100km better than my Hemi.

Get the 3500.

424419.png

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I know the the years before DEF mileage suffered unless deleted. I recently got a ‘14 and I am kind of amazed by the mileage. Gets 20+ on the highway with ease empty. I like that so when I am not towing I can still use it since I like driving it. I also really like the coil rear. It rides so nice compared to the 09 Silverado 2500 I had. Turn radius is impressive too. The EGR requires maintenance every so often or can get clogged up. I am surprised by how little def it actually uses. Just some of the thoughts I have so far.

Last edited:

2ndA732

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the 2500, no complaints. But if I had to start over it'd be the 3500.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
In totally stock form Cummins I would opt for as new as you can afford 2013 and newer. I have an 11, but a lot of junk fell off early on and I love it. Mine is a 2500HD Cummins and I have pulled a 32' 5er thousands of miles without wishing I had bought a 3500. I don't know where these people get their ideas, but if you are contemplating pulling trailers above 14K you probably should be looking at a DWR 3500. A trailer weighing 7-8K won't even feel like it is behind you in a 2500 Cummins.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
In totally stock form Cummins I would opt for as new as you can afford 2013 and newer. I have an 11, but a lot of junk fell off early on and I love it. Mine is a 2500HD Cummins and I have pulled a 32' 5er thousands of miles without wishing I had bought a 3500. I don't know where these people get their ideas, but if you are contemplating pulling trailers above 14K you probably should be looking at a DWR 3500. A trailer weighing 7-8K won't even feel like it is behind you in a 2500 Cummins.
I agree the only reason I would have opted for 3500 would be for the Aisin. I think they changed what you can get that in now anyway. This 2500 is good for me.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I can confirm this is 100% true.
I tow our TT that might weigh in at 9k max and my 2500 Cummins tows it like there is nothing there.
We recently bought a 39' 5th wheel that has a GVWR of 13,980 lbs. I don't know what the actual pin weight is but the truck only squats down to level with the 5er attached. My 2500 pulled it up over the mountains with no problem and feels very stable so I don't know where people get the idea you need a 3500 dually to pull a 5er.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I can confirm this is 100% true.
I tow our TT that might weigh in at 9k max and my 2500 Cummins tows it like there is nothing there.
We recently bought a 39' 5th wheel that has a GVWR of 13,980 lbs. I don't know what the actual pin weight is but the truck only squats down to level with the 5er attached. My 2500 pulled it up over the mountains with no problem and feels very stable so I don't know where people get the idea you need a 3500 dually to pull a 5er.
Two big factors, the dually makes a big difference if you tow a lot in heavy cross winds or really twisty roads with long trailers.

Second issue, is there are lots of places that scale pickups and 5th wheels to ensure they meet max length, brakes work and that truck payload is not exceeded, GVW amd GTW are met, as well as having proper pin weight and weight distribution in the trailer. Here in Canada they will pull you off the road as well as give u a big ticket if you are not in spec. There is a reason why almost all welding trucks are on 1 tons here.

If you are where no one checks then it makes little difference as the 2500 is speced very close to the 3500, except for rear springs and transmission.

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Definitely 2013+, (cummins of course) I'd actually say 14+ and the newer the better. These trucks are much more refined then the early gen4's (2010-12) and have updated steering components and suspension.

I get the whole gen 3 has less emissions etc but having owned them the late 4th gens are just better trucks all the way around. And a gen 3 would be getting up there in age at this point.

Don't lose sleep over the 2500 diesel payload unless you are afraid the payload police are going to pull you over. It is every bit capable of safely handling the payload the gas is rated for. The "rating" is all because they are trying to stay below the magical 10K for registration purposes. In reality there is only 80lbs difference on the rear axle between the 2 (and they use the same exact springs) the weight is all up front and the truck is identical in every way to the 3500 srw except the 3500 has heavier rear springs (leafs) or the Asin trans if you spec'd that

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the injection pumps. The 19 and 20 Ram Cummins used a CP4 pump, and it was very problematic for a lot of owners. For 21, Ram has gone back to the CP3, which is what was used on the motors prior to '19. That's a pretty big deal when a manufacturer reverts back to an older part like that, IMO. Personally, I'd stay away from any Ram Cummins with the CP4 pump.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the injection pumps. The 19 and 20 Ram Cummins used a CP4 pump, and it was very problematic for a lot of owners. For 21, Ram has gone back to the CP3, which is what was used on the motors prior to '19. That's a pretty big deal when a manufacturer reverts back to an older part like that, IMO. Personally, I'd stay away from any Ram Cummins with the CP4 pump.

Very true and normally I would have said bypass those years but it does look like they are replacing them with CP3's now. The recall is in motion and there has been a couple or trucks converted already.
Doesn't sound like he has the budget for anything that new either way though?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
You mentioned trans and Cummins so I'd look for a 13-18 (but I prefer a 2018) 3500 High output. You can only get a high output with an Aisin. Another way to tell if it has an Aisin trans is the dipstick is on the drivers side of the engine bay.
When I was looking before I bought mine I'd run the VIN to get the build sheet to verify the trans. If it wasn't Aisin I didn't even bother looking at it. Same as when I was truck shopping for my father. Both trucks we got are 18's H.O. 3500 DRW Cummins/Aisin, mine is a Limited and his a Longhorn Laramie and we can't be happier.
Good luck shopping.

Plug in a VIN on this website link and it will tell you what the truck has.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I wanted the Aisin but I am cheap and got a smoking deal on mine so I just bought it and will deal with the transmission if the time comes.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Trannies are not an issue if you don't mod the truck. I've been on this forum for close to 2 years now and it is very unusual to read about a failed tranny here, especially on a non-modified HD Ram.

I would not buy an HO if I didn't actually need it for hauling very big loads. It is said to be a rough shifting truck when not towing, and it gets noticeably worse mileage. Things I would put up with if I hauled a huge 5th wheel with it, but not desirable for something I'd be driving unloaded a lot.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Trannies are not an issue if you don't mod the truck. I've been on this forum for close to 2 years now and it is very unusual to read about a failed tranny here, especially on a non-modified HD Ram.

I would not buy an HO if I didn't actually need it for hauling very big loads. It is said to be a rough shifting truck when not towing, and it gets noticeably worse mileage. Things I would put up with if I hauled a huge 5th wheel with it, but not desirable for something I'd be driving unloaded a lot.
Good to know. I am not going to mod mine. It has plenty of power an ability for me. My travel trailer isn’t even 10k.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Two big factors, the dually makes a big difference if you tow a lot in heavy cross winds or really twisty roads with long trailers.

Second issue, is there are lots of places that scale pickups and 5th wheels to ensure they meet max length, brakes work and that truck payload is not exceeded, GVW amd GTW are met, as well as having proper pin weight and weight distribution in the trailer. Here in Canada they will pull you off the road as well as give u a big ticket if you are not in spec. There is a reason why almost all welding trucks are on 1 tons here.

If you are where no one checks then it makes little difference as the 2500 is speced very close to the 3500, except for rear springs and transmission.
Perhaps the authorities in Canada will pull over commercial trucks but I seriously doubt they pull over recreational RVers to check the weights.
I also do not have a welding truck and I don't live in Canada.
I do a lot of hunting and fishing so a dually would really hinder off-roading with such a wide stance.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Perhaps the authorities in Canada will pull over commercial trucks but I seriously doubt they pull over recreational RVers to check the weights.
I also do not have a welding truck and I don't live in Canada.
I do a lot of hunting and fishing so a dually would really hinder off-roading with such a wide stance.
I was not suggesting you go dually unless you really need it. I don't like them either. They are lousy off road and a pain around town.

I do however get a real kick out of a yank telling me what does and doesn't happen in my own country. They do in fact pull over and inspect non commercial vehicles as well as welders etc. If you ever plan to drive through B.C. you might want to keep that in mind.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I was not suggesting you go dually unless you really need it. I don't like them either. They are lousy off road and a pain around town.

I do however get a real kick out of a yank telling me what does and doesn't happen in my own country. They do in fact pull over and inspect non commercial vehicles as well as welders etc. If you ever plan to drive through B.C. you might want to keep that in mind.
Weight > 10 k Class 3 CDL Manitoba

moved ....

I just got my Class 3 CDL this past week, I have / had asked everyone I ran into who should know .... (side swipe your discussion - sorry) ... as a RV towed Fifth Wheel vehicle weighing(GVWR) GREATER THAN 10,000 lbs do I need to stop and get weighed at highway Gov weigh stations (that's stated as an unequivocal YES in the Professional Drivers Handbook that covers Class 1-2-3-4.

Since I was getting my road test done by MPI (Manitoba Public Insurance) examiner - surely I would get definitive answer ---- NOPE - "good question" was my reply.

So I stopped a a weigh station - waited until there was a lull in activity and got this answer from the enforcement guy.

NO - non commercial RV's (ie: you're not paid to move the RV) even when over 10,000 lbs do not need to stop. YA (an answer - hope they all are the same).