ARH Long Tubes on the way!! Couple Questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I fired up my truck this weekend and heard the loudest ticking noise. Obviously a broken exhaust manifold bolt. Only 41k miles on the truck too!

So I ordered some ARH long tubes and am going to document everything here.

Still need a few parts:

Going to contact Lokar to try and get a custom dipstick made.

I also ordered some remflex gaskets. Do I need to order ARP header bolts or does the ARH setup come with good hardware?

What kind of heat shielding should I get for the brake lines and any wires that are close by? I was thinking something like this stuff

Any tips, tricks or advise for installing these things? It has been about 10 years since I have installed a set of long tubes on a truck. Last one being my Dakota r/t and that SUCKED!!

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Wild one Just got an email back from Lokar, the longest they will make is a 24in dipstick. Do you know of any other options?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, at least you only got a 1500. Those are easier than the 2500 that is really sandwiched in there. Best wishes, I plan to do myself. 36k miles on a 6.4L

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have arh long tubes .... used mopar gaskets but have some remflex ready to go if these start leaking. Get some stage 8 locking header bolts and recheck after a few drives. I also didn’t get a new dipstick tube , we made it work.

As for the brake lines being close, we wrapped them in some heat tape , 5 yeears and no issues with that. I’d recommend if you can to wrap the tubes before install, for heat soak and engine noise . Good luck! And enjoy. I’m assuming your getting a custom tune as well. As you will need one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have arh long tubes .... used mopar gaskets but have some remflex ready to go if these start leaking. Get some stage 8 locking header bolts and recheck after a few drives. I also didn’t get a new dipstick tube , we made it work.

As for the brake lines being close, we wrapped them in some heat tape , 5 yeears and no issues with that. I’d recommend if you can to wrap the tubes before install, for heat soak and engine noise . Good luck! And enjoy. I’m assuming your getting a custom tune as well. As you will need one

It is not necessary to have a custom tune for a header install. Will a custom tune make more power with the long tubes than without? Yes.
But, the truck will run fine and make more power with the long tubes and no custom tune.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No custom tune for now, I will add defoulers on the o2s if I throw codes. I did get cats with this system. I actually wanted some shorties just to fix my exhaust leak issue but figured for a little bit more money I could go long tubes.

Do I need o2 harness extensions? I've seen a few videos where guys are adding them during the install.

Oh and kind of funny side note, I have no mufflers on my truck now, how crazy loud is it going to be with high flow cats and long tubes now? Hahaha. Might need to order a muffler.

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did mine by myself on garage floor a year ago. Get some swivel extensions for a 1/4 inch ratchet. Also a swivel head ratcheting box end wrench. Those bolts are a ***** to get to, to tighten down. I used the hardware that came with the arh headers and reflex gaskets. Have a welder handy if you need to extract broken bokts. The dipstick tube was my biggest nemesis both removal and putting back in. I ended up cuttin the lower bracket and havent had any issues. Carefully bent the factory one to clear the headers and has been good since. Outside of that I ended up cutting my factory mid pipea off cause I couldnt get thw drivera side bolts to break free. Spray the **** out of all the bolts you plan on removing ahead of time with PB or ruat buster or something. It' not the worst job i've ever done, but it's kind a pain

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
@Wild one Just got an email back from Lokar, the longest they will make is a 24in dipstick. Do you know of any other options?

Try phoning their custom department,tell them you want the Challenger ends on it,and it's for a custom turbo set-up on a 2014+ 5.7 Challenger. Don't even mention it's for a truck,and make sure you deal with them by phone,and ask for their department that makes custom dipsticks.I never had any issues getting mine,and that's how i dealt with them,old school phone,lol

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try phoning their custom department,tell them you want the Challenger ends on it,and it's for a custom turbo set-up on a 2014+ 5.7 Challenger. Don't even mention it's for a truck,and make sure you deal with them by phone,and ask for their department that makes custom dipsticks.I never had any issues getting mine,and that's how i dealt with them,old school phone,lol
I found a post you made about that a while back. In my email I told them a guy on a Challenger forum told me to ask for a 34in long between ends dipstick for a Challenger LOL.

I'll try to call tomorrow then and see if that helps.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I found a post you made about that a while back. In my email I told them a guy on a Challenger forum told me to ask for a 34in long between ends dipstick for a Challenger LOL.

I'll try to call tomorrow then and see if that helps.

I was also dealing with them several years ago,maybe their policy has changed,but at the time,i dealt with their department that custom made stuff,whether that department still exists now though,i'm not sure.Try asking if they have a department that'll custom build things. Another option might be to see if they'll sell you a universal dipstick kit with the Challenger ends,and you cut it to length.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is not necessary to have a custom tune for a header install. Will a custom tune make more power with the long tubes than without? Yes.
But, the truck will run fine and make more power with the long tubes and no custom tune.

I needed to have a tune to prevent the cel , so yes it was necessary for my truck.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I needed to have a tune to prevent the cel , so yes it was necessary for my truck.

Google anti-fouler trick to beat the cel Beast. There's ways around a check engine light with headers / no cats and no tune,but it's an old school idea that's been around since they started using 02's to monitor the exhaust.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

there is no need for a lokar, i went that route and had nothing but headaches and leaking oil. now others have had good experience but i went back to OEM and it works just fine (save the money). one thing just use DEI titanium wrap and your good to go, you'll have to lower one of the wiring harness so its not close to the header(dont want it to melt) but i wrapped all wires to with high temp heat tape. if u do wrap how ever many straps u think u need , double it

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
Good Luck on your install @G-Ride990, Keep us updated on any issues you run into along the way. A few of us (myself included) are watching eagerly while waiting for our headers to ship.
As my grandpa used to say "learn from other peoples mistakes, you cant make all of them yourself."

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been told to soak the wrap in water before you wrap the headers. Also move the brake lines on the drivers' side to the highest hole in the frame. There are 3 holes and they are in the lowest one--if you raise them to the top hole you will gain some more clearance.
Jay

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I might regret it but I am actually not going to wrap my headers for the install. I will wrap the ypipe where it gets close to things like the trans and brake lines but the primaries I am skipping it.

Thanks for the advice on the brake lines. I knew I heard something about them being close.

This last weekend I woke up early and got the jack stands out only to realize I forgot to order a new floor jack. I just bought a house a few months ago so I am still getting the garage all setup, got a new compressor, garage storage stuff but no new jack. So no way to take the front wheels off LOL.

I ordered one so this coming weekend the fun happens.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That's some mighty fine lookin stainless ya got there @G-Ride990 Beautiful mandrel bends, TIG welds.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know that at one time ARH got their panties in a *** if you had their headers coated, and they said they would not warranty them if you coated them. I called them and talked to them about it and they kinda backed up a little but I don't remember the exact conversation. Given that you might check with them about how they feel about wrapping them--I have no idea but wouldn't be bad info to have if you're going to wrap them or part of them. Just a suggestion---
Jay