ATF + 4 Fluid in Aisin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fred Mortimer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
Have a 2019 3500 Bighorn 102,750mi with Aisin tranny. Dealer has done all tranny service every 30,000mi. At the 60k service they put in ATF+4 fluid, I didn't catch it until 102,500. This dealer we've bought a few vehicles from over time and they have serviced them all. Tomorrow I'm going to take it back to them and they said that they'll flush the tranny and change filter. Has anyone on here ever heard of this and what possible damage may occur? Has shifted kinda rough but that is the norm for the Aisin. I think that I need something in writing for some sort of warrenty from them. All other warrenty has expired. Any thoughts on this??

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Maybe the service writer put the wrong info on the work order. The mechanic, if it was one doing the work, would probably know that was not the oil to use in an Aisin.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Maybe the service writer put the wrong info on the work order. The mechanic, if it was one doing the work, would probably know that was not the oil to use in an Aisin.
Only if they caught it. Often mechanics at dealerships don't pay that close of attention.

Ours has that issue when it comes to just fluid changes.

On my old Wagon, I found it odd that one of my oil changes came out significantly cheaper than usual (I always ran Mobil 1 in it) but didn't catch anything right away. I was cruising along one day and scrolled through the guage screens, noticed my oil pressure was reading 35 PSI...this truck ALWAYS ran at 50-55 PSI at cruising speed. Pulled off, checked the oil, crawled under it looking for anything obvious, smelled the exhaust, nothing. It was running fine so I went home and looked at the receipt...they'd used regular oil in it. Needless to say I called and gave the service manager a good earful, he gave me my next oil change free. There was also a note added to our account that EVERY vehicle gets full synthetic and that they're to ask which brand whenever we set up the appointment.

My FIL took his in (Ford/Ram share a service area at our local dealer) and (for whatever reason) wanted Mobil 1 full synthetic for his PSD (I don't really know why he doesn't like Rotella T6, I've used it in my diesels for years now). Whoever ordered the oil for the mechanic didn't order the stuff meant for diesels (Honestly didn't know that Mobil 1 made diesel oil) and the mechanic didn't catch it until the first bottle was already in. Turned into a bit of a fiasco, FIL didn't want T6 which they had on the shelf so he's using semi-synthetic Motorcraft.

Regardless, anymore it's fully on the consumer to make sure that things are done properly. Ask to review the bill before paying and leaving with your vehicle, and ask questions about anything that doesn't look right.

OP
OP
F

Fred Mortimer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
From what they told me was service gives the parts dept work order they run VIN and told them that I had a 68RFE tranny. They said that you manually have enter Aisin to get the correct fluid. But these 2 trannys are completely different underneath 68RFE has no drain plug and different filter, also it states on dipstick handle and on dipstick what type of fluid to use. Master service tech and service tech should know these differences they work on them all the time.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
From what they told me was service gives the parts dept work order they run VIN and told them that I had a 68RFE tranny. They said that you manually have enter Aisin to get the correct fluid. But these 2 trannys are completely different underneath 68RFE has no drain plug and different filter, also it states on dipstick handle and on dipstick what type of fluid to use. Master service tech and service tech should know these differences they work on them all the time.
The trans also has a tag on the side of the trans that states Mobil 3309 is recommended and its a lot cheaper then Aisin ATF...