ATF drain question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am looking to change the transmission fluid but want to do several flushes with Valvoline Maxlife Multi prior to dropping the pan. Has anyone drained the transmission fluid from the top fill hole? Are there any restrictions preventing this from working with a hand/vacuum pump on an 8HP70 transmission?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Your ZF8 has a drain plug on the plastic pan, although it's partially blocked by an exhaust cross-over pipe on most models.

I've never heard of anyone trying to pump fluid out from the side mounted fill port. Not sure if it's a clear shot in there and you'd have to hook the hose downward and hope it goes where you want it.

You will get a quart or so out just by removing the fill plug with the engine off. Jack up the drivers side to get more out that way if you want, then idle the engine and refill till it starts dribbling back out.

There's lots of threads on this site on pan/fluid changes and ATF level checking on the 8spds.

OP
OP
O

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just saw a pic of the tranny with pan off. I'm fairly certain there is no way to get a drain line to the bottom of the pan.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've drained 2 or 3 times on my cheapo ebay pan with no issues, I'm sure you could drain the OEM or PPE pan more than once as well. The factory will get some fluid on the exhaust but its easy enough to wipe off. Cut down the proper size allen key (10mm IIRC) and its pretty easy to drain.

FORGEDRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Did you re use the transmission bolts or did you get new ones?
Install a PPE pan. The drain plug is easily accessible and has a replaceable filter. I installed one on my truck and did 3 drain and fills.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am looking to change the transmission fluid but want to do several flushes with Valvoline Maxlife Multi prior to dropping the pan. Has anyone drained the transmission fluid from the top fill hole? Are there any restrictions preventing this from working with a hand/vacuum pump on an 8HP70 transmission?

You can buy a 12V pump and do it. It is very easy.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don't believe you'd be able to get a hose in there.

If you're already going to install a PPE pan, why bother trying to pump it out? Use a cut-down 10mm hex key to loosen the drain plug, and drain it. Or, loosen the pan bolts and let it drip.

Some brakleen on a rag does wonders for cleanup.

Break the fill plug loose before you drain the fluid. You'll be surprised how tight they are. I had to use a cheater to break mine loose.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Pull the lines at the cooler and use a syphon style wash gun stuck in a bottle of new fluid to blow the old fluid out of the cooler in the top of the A/C condensor,and replace it with fresh fluid. Dial back the regulator on your compressor to about 30 psi. That should get rid of the majority of old fluid in the cooler,throw a new pan/filter on and fill it up according to the instructions,drive it till it gets hot,then do the check procedure once more after the transmission has cooled back down (next morning etc.),and call it good.

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 8