Audio setup idea? opinions are welcome.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sometime in the next few weeks I'm going to be upgrading my audio setup in my 02 QC. I plan on purchasing a new bezel from Weedahoe for my Pioneer Avic-F900BT. I also had purchased some Kenwood 6.5" speakers from this forum. I'm in the market for some 3.5" for the dash. Here is where my idea might be different then most. I have no interest in getting a large sub for this system, I don't want to use any under the rear seat sub. So I'm considering buying a pair of these for the front doors.

Amazon.com: Kicker 6.5Inch Shallow Mount Subwoofer 4 Ohm: Electronics

I would run my dash and rear doors off of the headunit and either run these subs off of the infinity amp currently in the truck. Kicker has a 2ohm version of those in the link. Or I could buy a seperate amp to run the 4ohm version. So to recap this is my idea

Head Unit: Pioneer Avic-F900BT
Dash speakers: either JL Audio, Boston, kicker, Kenwood
Rear doors: Kenwood KFC-1662
Front doors: Kicker 6.5 shallow mount sub 2ohm or 4ohm
Amps: keep infinity or purchase another one mono or 2 channel?

Ideally would like to keep my speakers matched between dash and rear but I'm not sure yet if Kenwood has a 3.5". I'm not really on a budget but I'm interested in going crazy.

Opinions?

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say leave the rear speakers stock. The only sound you will really care about is the front stage. Focus there first. Having said that, your setup sounds good to me. But My recommendation would be to get a nice component set for the front stage and mount the mid in the door and the tweeter where the 3.5" is. So to recap, HU sounds good, good component set for the front (either amped or off the HU), and leave the rear alone. The money spent on the rear speakers I would use to improve the front stage

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good suggestion but I've already bought the 6.5" kenwoods off a guy on this forum. As it stands now I'm going to be leaving out a pair of those Kenwood speakers so i can buy a pair of 6.5" subs for the front door. I could use the Kenwood speakers in the front door and leave the rear doors for the pair of subs? My bigger question is use the infinity amp along with a 2ohm version of the kicker sub or buy a new amp to use with the 4ohm version of the kicker subs?

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
the subs wont work in the doors. you need some kind of enclosure for them. I would use the kenwoods in the front doors fullrange and scrap the idea of dash speakers. The dash is a horrible place for speakers and you will get better sound without them. reflections off of the windshield are a *****. If you want a sub you are going to have to give up some space, either under the rear seat or between the front seats. no other way to do it

Last edited:

TampaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to chime in, but if you are replacing the front speakers with a good set of components, is it better to keep dash speakers for a more full sound or put your tweeters where the corner dash speakers are??

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
the subs wont work in the doors. you need some kind of enclosure for them.

Really? I thought that was how our infinity systems was already set up, with just the lows going to the doors. I assumed that the infinity speakers were the're attempt at subs. Isn't there enough room in the doors for a 3 inch depth speaker?

I'm fine with the speaker locations in the truck. I don't mind having the dash speakers at all. I'm not an audiophile, the only reason I'm changing out my speakers is because I'm getting the new head unit and I was under the impression that the infinity speakers were 2 ohm and should be changed.

Last edited:

Reesycup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
The front door are subs in the infinity setup. However infinate baffle in the after market world = crap. Definitely don't put subs in your doors. Put some nice quality speakers. If using kenwood do the excelon line they are incredible. If not do jl. They are even better.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?y00riv
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Really? I thought that was how our infinity systems was already set up, with just the lows going to the doors. I assumed that the infinity speakers were the're attempt at subs. Isn't there enough room in the doors for a 3 inch depth speaker?

I'm fine with the speaker locations in the truck. I don't mind having the dash speakers at all. I'm not an audiophile, the only reason I'm changing out my speakers is because I'm getting the new head unit and I was under the impression that the infinity speakers were 2 ohm and should be changed.
The speakers in the front doors are more of a Midbass speaker, and a poor one at that. They do reproduce all your low frequencies, but dont confuse them for "subs". The depth of the speaker isnt the problem. to really reproduce subwoofer frequencies you need to have the speaker in an enclosure, which you simply cant do in the doors. Your best bet would be to get a nice set of components for the doors and sound deaden the hell out of them. this will help your speakers dig a little deeper but dont expect anything below 100hz. youll need a sub in a proper enclosure for that

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The front door are subs in the infinity setup. However infinate baffle in the after market world = crap. Definitely don't put subs in your doors. Put some nice quality speakers. If using kenwood do the excelon line they are incredible. If not do jl. They are even better.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?y00riv
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the front door speakers arent in "infinite baffle". the front waves are not separated from the back waves. Theres alot more to an infinite baffle setup than slapping a speaker on a flat surface. in fact, IB is impossible to do in a truck

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Sorry to chime in, but if you are replacing the front speakers with a good set of components, is it better to keep dash speakers for a more full sound or put your tweeters where the corner dash speakers are??
Get rid of the dash speakers. the placement is horrible. I have my mids in the doors and my tweeters flushed into the mirror covers at the top of the doorcards. I can shoot you pics of my setup if you want

TampaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you can shoot a pic that would be great. I want it to look clean also.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
the front door speakers arent in "infinite baffle". the front waves are not separated from the back waves. Theres alot more to an infinite baffle setup than slapping a speaker on a flat surface. in fact, IB is impossible to do in a truck

I disagree. The doors are IB, and cars like 6x9's in rear deck are as well.

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I disagree. The doors are IB, and cars like 6x9's in rear deck are as well.
the door speakers are not IB unless you can completely (or very close to completely) isolate the front wave of the speaker from the rear. If you can block off and seal every large hole in the door so that the door becomes a space of its own, then you have IB. the rear deck of an old car could be conidered IB because the rear waves are isolated in the trunk while the front waves are isolated in the passenger cabin. Its not a true infinite baffle without isolation of the front and rear waves from each other. Anything less is just a speaker stuck to a board or sheet metal

Last edited:
OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
you can send me a picture as well please. That being said, I'm aware that they are not technically Subs and are Mid-bass which I'm fine with. My question really is this: will the kicker 6.5 speaker I mentioned physically fit in my door? I'm actually okay with the amount of bass that the infinity puts out as I don't play loud and I'm not in the truck that much. I would however upgrade the speaker because I believe the infinity ones are 2 ohm?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
the door speakers are not IB unless you can completely (or very close to completely) isolate the front wave of the speaker from the rear. If you can block off and seal every large hole in the door so that the door becomes a space of its own, then you have IB. the rear deck of an old car could be conidered IB because the rear waves are isolated in the trunk while the front waves are isolated in the passenger cabin. Its not a true infinite baffle without isolation of the front and rear waves from each other. Anything less is just a speaker stuck to a board or sheet metal

Oh I know the definition of IB, as we design speakers that fit these locations. There is no way you can totally seal a door panel, but by definition doesnt have cancellation neither. A 'freeair' speaker has a stiffer suspension to work in a a door, unlike a softer suspension on a speaker that doesnt. But the door of modern OEM vehicles, are considered IB. It's not like a 1965 metal door on a Chevy or Dodge truck.
Now laying a speaker in an open ended box, yes, that is no IB, as you will have cencellation. Most door speakers made now for doors, are setup as IB, or a stiffer suspension. ( at least ours our)

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Ill post the pics here since you want to see them
Mid install in the door. i made a template off of the actual 6x9 speaker and cut that out then cut out for the 6.5 mid from my component set. Dont mind the rough cutout. i freehanded it with a router
S7301966.jpg

Mounted the tweeter in the mirror cover. there is plenty of room for this there and i really like the sound up there
S7301968.jpg

OP
OP
02blkram47

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for posting the pictures. Besides all the talk about the definition of IB I really just want to know if the kicker speaker cvt654 will physically fit in the door and function? If it simply won't fit then ill move on but if it will fit and perform better than the infinity I have now I might still consider it. Ultimately ill discuss all this with my installer but I'd like to be able to offer some solutions.

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I guess we got a little carried away LOL. I dont think that kicker is any deeper than most other 6.5 mids. I dont know what the depth we have is but you should be able to make it fit

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Thanks for posting the pictures. Besides all the talk about the definition of IB I really just want to know if the kicker speaker cvt654 will physically fit in the door and function? If it simply won't fit then ill move on but if it will fit and perform better than the infinity I have now I might still consider it. Ultimately ill discuss all this with my installer but I'd like to be able to offer some solutions.

the CVT will fit better than any other coax, BUT the CVT is a midbass, so as long as you know that your ok. I'd rather get a component setup, that has aa seperate crossover, and you can put the mid in the door, and the tweeter up higher.

The CVT's are midbass.