Auto dimming Mirrors question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason53177

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram classic
Engine
I have a 2019 1500 classic bighorn and I notice at night only the drivers side and rear view mirror autodarken Are all 3 suppose to autodarken or just the 2.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think on the Bighorn it's just the 2 that auto dim, but on the Limited all 3 mirrors auto dim. I have a Bighorn, but I upgraded my rear view mirror to an auto dim mirror and Limited side mirrors so all mine dim. I'm sure someone that has that factory will chime in if I'm wrong.

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2015 Outdoorsman and only the driver side and rear view mirror dim with headlights behind me.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
I have a 2019 1500 classic bighorn and I notice at night only the drivers side and rear view mirror autodarken Are all 3 suppose to autodarken or just the 2.
Just the two. The right mirror has a thinner bezel and that’s how you can tell it’s not auto dimming

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think on the Bighorn it's just the 2 that auto dim, but on the Limited all 3 mirrors auto dim. I have a Bighorn, but I upgraded my rear view mirror to an auto dim mirror and Limited side mirrors so all mine dim. I'm sure someone that has that factory will chime in if I'm wrong.

What did you have to do to get the passenger side mirror to dim with that upgrade?

Thanks

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
What did you have to do to get the passenger side mirror to dim with that upgrade?

Thanks

If you upgrade your passenger side mirror to one that has auto dim, you need to go into the BCM. The Body Control Module. Look for "Electro-chromatic passenger mirror present". Change to "SET". Right above this is ""Electro-chromatic driver mirror present"

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you upgrade your passenger side mirror to one that has auto dim, you need to go into the BCM. The Body Control Module. Look for "Electro-chromatic passenger mirror present". Change to "SET". Right above this is ""Electro-chromatic driver mirror present"

Thanks. By "upgrade your passenger side mirror" is it as simple as replacing the glass with an auto dimming/defrost glass, and just plugging it in? Or does it require a different module in the door?

I get that you will have to re-program to get it to work after.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Thanks. By "upgrade your passenger side mirror" is it as simple as replacing the glass with an auto dimming/defrost glass, and just plugging it in? Or does it require a different module in the door?

I get that you will have to re-program to get it to work after.

I do not know of anyone trying that. Not to mention would you even be able to just get the correct auto dimming glass, the needed wiring for it, and where to pin the connections into the door module. Your door module should be good to go. When I did this I just bought complete mirrors with memory and auto dim for driver and passenger.

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 2019 bighorn auto dims all 3. But it’s the new 5th gen style (DT)...not sure if the classic bighorn is still the 4th gen (DS), that may have something to do with it.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
My 2019 bighorn auto dims all 3. But it’s the new 5th gen style (DT)...not sure if the classic bighorn is still the 4th gen (DS), that may have something to do with it.

My 19 Laramie Sport level 2 DT only has auto dim on drivers side and interior mirrors. You will need to check your build sheet to see what you have on a specific truck

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 19 Laramie Sport level 2 DT only has auto dim on drivers side and interior mirrors. You will need to check your build sheet to see what you have on a specific truck

I stand corrected. You’re right, mine is also just drivers side and interior mirror auto dim, no passenger side. Thanks.

bdrut57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would like to get my auto dim mirrors to work with a topper on a 2017

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I would like to get my auto dim mirrors to work with a topper on a 2017
Unfortunately the sensor for the Auto-Dimming mirrors is in the rear-view mirror. Having a topper pretty much blocks the light that would make the mirrors dim.

bdrut57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
could a person mount a mirror on the topper back door,and some how wire it up to work

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
could a person mount a mirror on the topper back door,and some how wire it up to work
The sensor most likely communicates over a comm buss back to the BCM. It might be possible but would be a shear waste of money for what it does other than to say it works.
You would be farther ahead to to figure out someway to supply a variable voltage to the mirror(s) to facilitate dimming manually. Even then if your mirrors are adjusted correctly the auto dimming does amount to much.

bdrut57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The sensor most likely communicates over a comm buss back to the BCM. It might be possible but would be a shear waste of money for what it does other than to say it works.
You would be farther ahead to to figure out someway to supply a variable voltage to the mirror(s) to facilitate dimming manually. Even then if your mirrors are adjusted correctly the auto dimming does amount to much.
thanks u have scared me from it,just a thought