Auto headlight sensor sensitivity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I feel my auto headlights don't come on as much as they should. For example, this morning was cloudy/dreary/light rain; definitely conditions in which headlights should be on for safety but they weren't. Is the sensor not very sensitive in Rams or could mine just be finicky? Could I put some type of partial covering on the sensor to reduce the amount of light it picks up?

warbat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC 4wd
Engine
Funny, I have the opposite problem. Mine turn on every time I pass under tree, a cloud moves in front of the sun, anything. The slightest change in the amount of light instantly turns them on and off. It drives me insane.

cuminslvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Its odd that there is no sensitivity adjustment in the settings menu under lighting. Checked the manual (wow) and there is no mention of a setting.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My auto-on headlight sensor seems to be fine but my high beam sensor seems to be as wishy-washy as a teenage girl rummaging through her closet, trying to figure out what to wear...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DELETE

Threads mixed up

Last edited:

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I feel my auto headlights don't come on as much as they should. For example, this morning was cloudy/dreary/light rain; definitely conditions in which headlights should be on for safety but they weren't. Is the sensor not very sensitive in Rams or could mine just be finicky? Could I put some type of partial covering on the sensor to reduce the amount of light it picks up?

You could throw a towel over the sensor but also there should be a setting (radio accessed) that provides headlights with wipers.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's no adjustment for the auto headlights, heck mine come on sometimes when I go into the shadow of a large building. There is a setting in the radio for "headlights with wipers" as I have that option set in my radio.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Funny, I have the opposite problem. Mine turn on every time I pass under tree, a cloud moves in front of the sun, anything. The slightest change in the amount of light instantly turns them on and off. It drives me insane.

This is how mine are. On/off constantly.

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Put a piece of electrical tape over it and they’ll never go on and off again.... or turn the feature off...? I agree they can be a little confused at times.

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also have the opposite issue, way too sensitive, worry about it prematurely wearing out the HID ballasts or bulbs. For the same reason i wish i could turn them off when unlocking the doors, puddle lamps yes, dont want my headlights on. It does this when the lights are off, i dont use the auto feature

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have the opposite issue, way too sensitive, worry about it prematurely wearing out the HID ballasts or bulbs. For the same reason i wish i could turn them off when unlocking the doors, puddle lamps yes, dont want my headlights on. It does this when the lights are off, i dont use the auto feature

You can’t go in your Uconnect settings and turn all that off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for making me check. I had headlights on approach set to 30 sec, turned that to 0 and unchecked light flash on lock. That should do it. Been awhile since i went into the settings.