Automatic no reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MtX1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
Having an issue with my truck where reverse worked one day and next it just quit. I pulled the pan checked the R solenoid and adjusted the rear band as the manual states. Everything there seems tight. My problem is i still dont have reverse. I forward gears and it shifts fine. If i disconnect the linkage it seems i only have 3 gears at the transmission. P D 2 1 . Also the linkage inside the transmission seems like it takes alot of force to change gears not sure if thats normal. Thanks for any help!
Jeremy

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Having an issue with my truck where reverse worked one day and next it just quit. I pulled the pan checked the R solenoid and adjusted the rear band as the manual states. Everything there seems tight. My problem is i still dont have reverse. I forward gears and it shifts fine. If i disconnect the linkage it seems i only have 3 gears at the transmission. P D 2 1 . Also the linkage inside the transmission seems like it takes alot of force to change gears not sure if thats normal. Thanks for any help!
Jeremy
Well, if you adjusted the reverse band and you still do not have reverse then the the problem more than likely is a broken direct clutch snap ring that is in the front of the overdrive unit on the back of the trans. When you are driving you will probably notice that you do not have any engine braking in manual 1st or manual 2nd gear while decelerating.

If the direct Clutch snap ring is broken then the O/D clutch is probably galled up because when this snap ring breaks the direct clutch spring, which is very strong, applies it's pressure to the O/D piston/clutch and it burns up quickly.

I would also remove the rear servo and accumulator piston and see if the servo is cracked. The rear servo is where the reverse band apply lever touches when the rear band is applied.

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
M

MtX1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
Thank you! Thats just what i needed i will get it pulled apart. Would that still explain why i have no reverse or neutral even when shifted at the transmission and linkage disconnected? It seems like the gears just arent there to even select. Appreciate the help!!!!

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thank you! Thats just what i needed i will get it pulled apart. Would that still explain why i have no reverse or neutral even when shifted at the transmission and linkage disconnected? It seems like the gears just arent there to even select. Appreciate the help!!!!
No problem. When you are operating the shift linkage on the side of the transmission, if you rotate the shift lever counter-clockwise and towards the rear of the transmission, that is the PARK location. If you rotate the shift lever to the full clockwise location that is Manual 1st so if you start there and rotate through each detent you will feel Manual 2 then 3rd (Drive) and then neutral and reverse before reaching the PARK location again.

My guess is that if you start in park and manually rotate the shift lever counter-clockwise that you are not feeling the detent for reverse and neutral. It happens to me too if I do not rotate the shift lever slowly and feel the spring loaded detent engage. One thing you can do to verify that each detent is there would be to jack up the rear axle and get the tires off of the ground. Have an assistant sit in the vehicle and start the engine and hold the brake for you. While your assistant is holding the brakes you can move the shift lever on the side of the trans out of park and into reverse and then have your assistant release the brake pedal so you can visually see if the transmission is actually in reverse. Then, move on to neutral and into the forward gears. That is how I do it sometimes.

OP
OP
M

MtX1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
Appreciate the help Fast69Mopar! So i just wanted to let everyone know what the problem was. We couldnt get the linkage to move like it was supposed to so we pulled the valve body. The anchor on the intermediate band had fallen off and was jammed in the gear selector on the VB making it hard to move into each gear. Well we put the band/anchor back together and adjusted it to spec, put the VB back in and everything works again. Not sure why it fell off but hopefully it doesnt happen again. Thanks again for the help!

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Appreciate the help Fast69Mopar! So i just wanted to let everyone know what the problem was. We couldnt get the linkage to move like it was supposed to so we pulled the valve body. The anchor on the intermediate band had fallen off and was jammed in the gear selector on the VB making it hard to move into each gear. Well we put the band/anchor back together and adjusted it to spec, put the VB back in and everything works again. Not sure why it fell off but hopefully it doesnt happen again. Thanks again for the help!
If the anchor for the band has come out it is because the band adjustment was very loose. It is actually quite common for the anchor and the strut to come out or even break.

There are a few companies who make a billet band apply strut and anchor to eliminate that problem.

Also, when you set the band adjustment, I like to set the apply lever 1/4" away from the servo ball or at least a pinky finger in between. That will give you a good, quality shift with some firmness to it and still provide long band life.

LeonS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello Fast69mopar
I have a 2000 ram 1500 truck 2 w d and the reverse quit working,i can hear it go into reverse ,thats it ,i bought a shift control solenoid for it and when i dropped the pan a pieceflat metal fell out of the transmIssion.could that be the snap ring ,its a long piece of metal flat

LeonS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello Fast69mopar
I have a 2000 ram 1500 truck 2 w d and the reverse quit working,i can hear it go into reverse ,thats it ,i bought a shift control solenoid for it and when i dropped the pan a pieceflat metal fell out of the transmIssion.could that be the snap ring ,its a long piece of metal flat
16318328546326587518370903274253.jpg