Autostop Eliminator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I’m no fan of the auto start/stop on my 2020 and decided to do something about it. I researched a number of options and decided to go with the Autostop Eliminator because it doesn’t change the system and can easily be removed, if necessary.

I ordered it on Monday using the discount code AUTOVLOG for a 10% discount making it $90 and received it in the mail today. I immediately installed it in less than five minutes. It works as advertised as it was a breeze to install and eliminates the auto start stop. Highly recommended! And no, I don’t work for them, make a penny or get any other form of comp from them other than being a very satisfied customer.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/

Last edited:

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It appears to plug into the ODBC2 port, although there are no instructions or clear info on the site.

Just an FYI for anyone who has something else already plugged in there (as I do, but I don't have ESS so it doesn't affect me), or may want to in the future.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Very slick. It remembers the last setting of the auto s/s when the vehicle is shut off and reapplies it at startup.

OP
OP
NorthStar1

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Yes, I had to drive my truck twice last night just to test it out. It performed flawlessly. Everytime I went to start the truck (stopped at a fuel station and grocery store too) it was automatically in the "Start/Stop Off" mode. Worked like a charm! Yes, one can easily push the button every time they start their Ram but this is a simple plug it in and forget the Start/Stop system is even on the truck.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
For for my educational purposes, what is start stop?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
For for my educational purposes, what is start stop?
when the vehicle gets to a stop light, the vehicle shuts off, until you release the pedal and or hit accelerator. Some new Rams have it, not all. New Jeep does, but has an over ride button. Wifes Enclave has it, ordered a module to stop it from happening.
Similar to this. Smartstopstop

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
when the vehicle gets to a stop light, the vehicle shuts off, until you release the pedal and or hit accelerator. Some new Rams have it, not all. New Jeep does, but has an over ride button. Wifes Enclave has it, ordered a module to stop it from happening.
Similar to this. Smartstopstop

aw, sounds like a load of freaking garbage, I'd get that vegetation off my truck as well.

OP
OP
NorthStar1

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
It is a terrible system which adds zero benefit to a Ram. If I wanted a Prius, I would have purchased one. However, I bought a truck and don't need the engine shutting down every time I stop at an intersection. This is how the auto manufacturers are claiming better mileage in order to meet government CAFE standards but in reality it does very little for those in rural area...and some say adds wear and tear on the engine in city areas due to the constant shutting down/restarting of the engine.

Either way, we now have Autostop Eliminator installed on both of the 2020 Rams in our family. The biggest issue with the stop start system in my opinion is when sitting at a stop sign or red light, and when it is time to go the engine does start back up rather quickly but you still have a lag for the power to hit the tires...not a good feeling when it's time to get going.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It is a terrible system which adds zero benefit to a Ram. If I wanted a Prius, I would have purchased one. However, I bought a truck and don't need the engine shutting down every time I stop at an intersection.

I special ordered mine, specifically without the E-Torque and its attendant start-stop.

If you bought if off the lot, didn't you test drive it first?

OP
OP
NorthStar1

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Yes, I test drive the heck out of it but also wanted the additional torque provided by eTorque when first starting off with a load. The eTorque is great, the start stop is the option they could have excluded.

I have a friend with the same set up and he has the Eliminator installed on his too this I knew it could be “eliminated” whenI purchased the truck.

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I really don't even notice the etorque working. Just curious as to why you purchase the etorque then not want to use it?

OP
OP
NorthStar1

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
A lot of folks think eTorque and Start Stop are all or none. In fact, I like and use the eTorque for getting a loaded trailer moving but I don’t need the stop/start. I’ve simply eliminated the start/stop functionality but am keeping/still utilizing the eTorque capability. See the link below as it explains what the eTorque provides besides the start/stop function.

“The eTorque system gives some assistance with acceleration below 2,000 rpm and is good for an additional 90 foot-pounds of torque on the V6 and 130 on the V8, measured at the crankshaft. Mostly, it's used not to give the Ram a boost of oomph on the highway, but to flatten out gaps in engines' torque bands at low speeds.” I’ve owned several non-eTorque Hemis and you can tell the difference when you drive the eTorque provided you turn off the ridiculous start/stop system.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/trucks/a23306626/ram-1500-etorque/

Last edited:

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I really don't even notice the etorque working. Just curious as to why you purchase the etorque then not want to use it?

E-Torque and ESE are Linked, but NOT the Same.

I certainly wouldn't mind several of the E-torque benefits, but would never take them as a compromise for having to accept the ESE.

Totally different direction, I bought my '20 in a desperation move since FCA had STILL(!!!) not come out with the TRX, and planned to build my own. The E-torque system is totally incompatible with a supercharger, as the primary equipment takes up the space where a supercharger would sit.

Of course, now they HAVE come out with the TRX, and Whipple has NOT released a kit for the '20 (though why/what is different than the '19 is quite a mystery to me). Still, I feel I made the right decision, since the TRX is only available as a Crew Cab Super Short Bed. Not to mention that the payload and towing capacities have been reduced to mid-sized SUV territory.

OP
OP
NorthStar1

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Cheaper just to push the on/off button.
According to your Ram Year it indicates you're still driving a 4th Gen. Wait until you decide to upgrade to a 5th Gen with Stop/Start and you'll see what a PITA it can be when you forget to "just push the on/off button." To each their own...

P.S. I'm in my late 50's...there are days when I forget to put on socks - or worse. The Eliminator removes one less thing I have to remember to do.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
According to your Ram Year it indicates you're still driving a 4th Gen. Wait until you decide to upgrade to a 5th Gen with Stop/Start and you'll see what a PITA it can be when you forget to "just push the on/off button." To each their own...

P.S. I'm in my late 50's...there are days when I forget to put on socks - or worse. The Eliminator removes one less thing I have to remember to do.
I'm a lot younger than you and still forget lol

subic97

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque

bought a new 2020 about 3 weeks ago, took a few days to get used to the etorque but after that no problem. I always used the shift buttons on my 16 to turn off the mds but the 5th gen is so much smoother don’t have to turn anything off now.