Auxiliary CD player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m one of the old guys with a good sized CD collection that just never got into loading music on an iPhone or thumb drive and could hardly bear the loss of a CD player in the new vehicles. I found on Amazon an USB powered auxiliary CD player called Jupiter and purchased it. It works great with the RAM media center and plays through the vehicles controls. It’s a substantial unit of seemingly good quality, not flimsy cheap and I just set it down in the lower console level. Posting in case anyone has been missing a CD player as I have.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks. i was going to try a cd player from a laptop i tore apart, but maybe i'll look into that, it seems like a better option

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm old school, too. I already had most all my CD's ripped to my Music folder on my PC (yeah, a PC too), so I copied all of it to a couple of 8Gb thumb drives (Rock and Country separate) and now I can just stick it into the Aux slot below the radio and play them that way. It's kind of a PITA to do it intially, but you will be glad you do when you're through. And in the future, if you acquire more, you can just add it to the thumb drive.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I have some 8-tracks from back in the day I wish I could still play.
One of my fav's is the Boston album...

I also have a ton of cassette tapes I'd love to be able to play again, but alas, this is hard to do nowadays.

My CD collection is insane...but I ripped many of them onto my computer years back and then filled a jump drive so I could play them while driving.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm old school, too. I already had most all my CD's ripped to my Music folder on my PC (yeah, a PC too), so I copied all of it to a couple of 8Gb thumb drives (Rock and Country separate) and now I can just stick it into the Aux slot below the radio and play them that way. It's kind of a PITA to do it intially, but you will be glad you do when you're through. And in the future, if you acquire more, you can just add it to the thumb drive.
i tried that....on to a usb drive, but no matter if i did mp3 or mp4 it would not play.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I use thumb drives a lot especially in my TT. I have so much music on my laptop from my son in law who used to DJ at parties. One I use now has over 1800 songs on it.
This winter I plan on recording all of my CDs onto my laptop.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i tried that....on to a usb drive, but no matter if i did mp3 or mp4 it would not play.
Interesting. Some of mine are Mp3, and some are WMA, and they all play. I have noticed that the ones that were recorded in Mp3 format are the only ones that show the album art. These are all from cassettes I ripped through a analog-to-digital interface I had a number of years ago.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I use thumb drives a lot especially in my TT. I have so much music on my laptop from my son in law who used to DJ at parties. One I use now has over 1800 songs on it.
This winter I plan on recording all of my CDs onto my laptop.
I also have about 1800 songs in several different genres. I thought I had a lot, until another retired Chief Petty Officer I know said he had over 4000 that he was working on copying to thumb drives.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You lucky son'gun.
Was just installed OEM, I got a Janis Joplin CD in there, LOL. But just a single, none of the multiple loading ones used to be built into dashboards.

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT: Single Disc Remote CD Player

Last edited:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Was just installed OEM, I got a Janis Joplin CD in there, LOL. Bust just a single, none of the multiple loading ones used to be built into dashboards.
A single player would be OK with me, I had one in my last truck. When I ordered this truck, I had originally planned on replacing the Uconnect interface with a simple AM/FM/CD player. I talked with the RAM salesman and he said there is a local company that does it, but I had to make sure all my settings on the Uconnect were where I wanted them because once they pulled the unit there was no way to change anything anymore. After I got the truck I realized there is too much stuff all interconnected through the Uconnect that I didn't want to lose control of, so I passed on that idea.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A single player would be OK with me, I had one in my last truck. When I ordered this truck, I had originally planned on replacing the Uconnect interface with a simple AM/FM/CD player. I talked with the RAM salesman and he said there is a local company that does it, but I had to make sure all my settings on the Uconnect were where I wanted them because once they pulled the unit there was no way to change anything anymore. After I got the truck I realized there is too much stuff all interconnected through the Uconnect that I didn't want to lose control of, so I passed on that idea.
YUP, dang near all the settings runs thru that friggin U Connect interface. Decent when it works, a real PITA when it hiccups especially if it gets an OTA update and blinks out. I have plain jane U Con 4 radio, not OTA capable.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
YUP, dang near all the settings runs thru that friggin U Connect interface. Decent when it works, a real PITA when it hiccups especially if it gets an OTA update and blinks out. I have plain jane U Con 4 radio, not OTA capable.
Me, too.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a Janis Joplin CD in there, LOL.

Would that be Janis Joplin's Greatest Hits? That's always been one of my favourites.

My Tundra had a single CD player and I'd like to install one in my Ram truck.

Maybe, I'll attempt ripping a few CDs to a stick first. That would be much cheaper.

YUP, dang near all the settings runs thru that friggin U Connect interface. Decent when it works, a real PITA when it hiccups especially if it gets an OTA update and blinks out.

I have plain jane U Con 4 radio, not OTA capable.

So, a Uconnect 4.0 is safe from OTA downloads? That would be great news.
Any ideas about what version of Unconnect started with OTA?

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would that be Janis Joplin's Greatest Hits? That's always been one of my favourites.

My Tundra had a single CD player and I'd like to install one in my Ram truck.

Maybe, I'll attempt ripping a few CDs to a stick first. That would be much cheaper.

So, a Ucoonnect 4.0 is safe from OTA downloads? That would be great news.
Any ideas about what version of Uncoonnect started with OTA?

WATCH which program U rip in and what extension U save to, and try to stay with 32G stick and FAT. Friggin U Connect picky. U got a 2021, so not sure if U have U Con 4 or 5. My neighbor has a 23 Lonestar with U Con 5. U con 5 may be different or allow more extensions, I do not know. I have seen it once making a USB for his music, and I did not care on how the U Con 5 integrates, maybe just how I see it.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My Tundra had a single CD player and I'd like to install one So, a Ucoonnect 4.0 is safe from OTA downloads? That would be great news.
Any ideas about what version of Uncoonnect started with OTA?
WATCH which program U rip in and what extension U save to, and try to stay with 32G stick and FAT. Friggin U Connect picky. U got a 2021, so not sure if U have U Con 4 or 5. My neighbor has a 23 Lonestar with U Con 5. U con 5 may be different or allow more extensions, I do not know. I have seen it once making a USB for his music, and I did not care on how the U Con 5 integrates, maybe just how I see it.
I think mine is the Uconnect 5.0. It has a 5-inch display and has no OTA capability. It plays both WMA and Mp3 formats, but only the Mp3 ones show album art. Both formats show artist/album/song names.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It may play MP4 also. The before written is UNKNOWN as all my Music is MP3 on USB.

Last edited:

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting. Some of mine are Mp3, and some are WMA, and they all play. I have noticed that the ones that were recorded in Mp3 format are the only ones that show the album art. These are all from cassettes I ripped through a analog-to-digital interface I had a number of years ago.
i finally got it to work. admittedly, it was pilot error. lol i was trying to use itunes, but windows legacy media player waas so much easier to use....just rip to MP3 and send to the USB.