Average time for a built engine to be done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hate to tell think about this. But I may email them today and tell them I will pick it up next Friday. Done or not done
if it is tore apart and you do not have the ability to put it back together yourself you might have a hard time getting another shop to take over. have you paid for it up front?

OP
OP
Ashkon

Ashkon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can put it together, from what I gathered they already did the machine work and balanced it. ive put 5k down

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can put it together, from what I gathered they already did the machine work and balanced it. ive put 5k down
do they offer any kind of warranty? If you end up putting it together and it blows I doubt they will stand behind anything. They may not any way but just worth mentioning. Tough situation for sure.

OP
OP
Ashkon

Ashkon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
do they offer any kind of warranty? If you end up putting it together and it blows I doubt they will stand behind anything. They may not any way but just worth mentioning. Tough situation for sure.

I asked when I first brought it, he said to a certain extent. If I come back with a hole in a piston no warranty.(which is understandable)
But low oil pressure or knocking. They would cover it. All with them building, with me I know I won’t get anything.
Maybe it’s taking so long because it’s not a high powered Vette or camaro motor.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
It's annoying that what is arguable a much better motor design (except for the damn single cam) and heads is so much less desired than freaking LS motors and coyotes and costs so much more to upgrade/work on.

For anyone doing a motor rebuild or machine work, make sure the shop works on our generation hemis and has the right torque plate. If they hone/bore cylinders and don't have the right torque plate to simulate torqueing the heads you'll get a poor result. Maybe not noticeable for a daily driver but for high performance and forged assemblies it'll make a difference in longevity.

OP
OP
Ashkon

Ashkon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's annoying that what is arguable a much better motor design (except for the damn single cam) and heads is so much less desired than freaking LS motors and coyotes and costs so much more to upgrade/work on.

For anyone doing a motor rebuild or machine work, make sure the shop works on our generation hemis and has the right torque plate. If they hone/bore cylinders and don't have the right torque plate to simulate torqueing the heads you'll get a poor result. Maybe not noticeable for a daily driver but for high performance and forged assemblies it'll make a difference in longevity.
They had plenty hellcat motors there. I hope they got the right equipment lol

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
I asked when I first brought it, he said to a certain extent. If I come back with a hole in a piston no warranty.(which is understandable)
But low oil pressure or knocking. They would cover it. All with them building, with me I know I won’t get anything.
Maybe it’s taking so long because it’s not a high powered Vette or camaro motor.
Another reason you should have gone with BES. Mine came with a 3 year 36k mile warranty.

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
Rebuild? What is wrong with a crate engine? My truck has over 330,000 km and when/if engine dies it is out with the old and in with the new. Too expensive? A rebuilt can be bought cheaper. I know a hobbyist master mechanic whose turnaround for that is two days max. He has right now 8 cars and trucks on his lot and he has replaced engines with craters for all types of vehicles. Has a hoist and is a top notch mechanic.

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For what its worth I build circle track racecar engines for a living and getting parts is getting harder and harder. I have $750,000 in inventory and I still find myself waiting 3 months for a crankshaft, 6-8 weeks for pistons, Months for blocks. Bearing are also very hard to come by these days.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Rebuild? What is wrong with a crate engine? My truck has over 330,000 km and when/if engine dies it is out with the old and in with the new. Too expensive? A rebuilt can be bought cheaper. I know a hobbyist master mechanic whose turnaround for that is two days max. He has right now 8 cars and trucks on his lot and he has replaced engines with craters for all types of vehicles. Has a hoist and is a top notch mechanic.

That's a good strategy for most. For me, I want to live life more fully and connect with the things I enjoy so there's value in tearing the thing apart, seeing how it works, cleaning the gunk and making it better.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Congrats! Have fun getting it back in! I'm hoping to get mine back next week.

OP
OP
Ashkon

Ashkon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All of that work and money. Got it put in. Started it keep getting a P0016 code. Hard as hell to start, runs bad and no chop. Looks like they set timing wrong. Not counting after they installed the pick up tube in the wrong spot.