Axle breather tube snapped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just noticed the breather tube snapped on my rear diff. Pretty sure it hasn't been very long since the break points are pretty clean. I have it rigged together for now and will make an appt tomorrow to drive in and get it changed. My gut reaction is to dump the gear oil too but that ****'s expensive. What's the thoughts of the hive mind?

Sent from my mobile

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The $50-60 in fluid would be worth the peace of mind for me to change it.

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Why would it be contaminated unless you drove into a creek or water above the axle... a clogged breather is a bigger concern... if it just got cut just replace the tube... 20$ at napa and a few minutes... dealer may consider it a wear item and charge you...

You likely caught it on some road debris... diff oil likely no different unless you were in axle deep water

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
How many miles are on the diff fluid and where did the break occur?

How long was it like that? Honestly, with the cost of a replacement axle, it's not something I'd mess around with.

Fix the tube, change the oil and move on with peace of mind. You don't want to wind up a few years down the line needinga new axle because you cheaped out to save a few bucks. Just my .02

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
As cold as it gets up there it might have barely brushed against something & snapped off. I agree with others, your 2015 probably has enough miles on it that you would be close to needing to change the oil anyway. Diff. fluid is not all that out of line down here but you might pay a lot more up there. Seems like they charge you a premium on everything up there.

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
To be fair, i changed my diff oil at 40k miles just because... its a simple DIY... not a bad thing to do...

Added a magnet and changed diff cover at same time...

But breather tube is just a vent.. lets pressure out instead of blowing axle seals..

But if youre in snow or drove in deep water definitely change axle oil...

I would say open the diff fill plug and see if your oil is pristine... or just flush it..

My diff at 40k was pristine but i switched to mobil 1 and had a new diff cover so flushed it anyway

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As cold as it gets up there it might have barely brushed against something & snapped off. I agree with others, your 2015 probably has enough miles on it that you would be close to needing to change the oil anyway. Diff. fluid is not all that out of line down here but you might pay a lot more up there. Seems like they charge you a premium on everything up there.
Yeah, pretty sure that's what happened. It's -36° right now and it wouldn't take much to break that hose.

I'll get the diff oil done as a precautionary since we are plowing huge snowbanks to get anywhere right now haha!

The oil is $22 a quart here. Not going to break the bank but it's a little ridiculous.

Sent from my mobile

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
While youre at it, extend the diff breather higher

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Is the part the snapped the nipple sticking out of the axle tube? Is it plastic or metal? Never heard of a metal one snapping.

Extending rubber breather hoses is one of the first mods I do. Both axles, transmission, and t-case extended if needed. I also secure the hoses to the nipple with a small stainless hose clamp

Without telling how long its been broken, I'd inspect and/or change the fluid as stated cheap piece of mind.

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is the part the snapped the nipple sticking out of the axle tube? Is it plastic or metal? Never heard of a metal one snapping.

Extending rubber breather hoses is one of the first mods I do. Both axles, transmission, and t-case extended if needed. I also secure the hoses to the nipple with a small stainless hose clamp

Without telling how long its been broken, I'd inspect and/or change the fluid as stated cheap piece of mind.
It snapped about 6 inches from the axle nipple. Basically right where it reaches the back side of the axle and starts to bend up. I spliced it with some insert tube and a couple clamps for now, won't make it into town until Tuesday so I just Macguyver'd it for now since the snow is pretty deep. I'd change it myself but the dealer is doing it all under warranty and I don't have the right gear oil here so I figured it can wait until I go in to the city next week :)

Sent from my mobile

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
If your snow is that deep than definitely change the oil. Even if only a little moisture got in, you want to get that out of there. Good luck

You guys make me feel like a wimp. I'v been complaining its been too cold for too long with Temps in the teens and low 20s during the day and single digits to below 0F at night.

Can't imagine how miserable -30F is!

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If your snow is that deep than definitely change the oil. Even if only a little moisture got in, you want to get that out of there. Good luck

You guys make me feel like a wimp. I'v been complaining its been too cold for too long with Temps in the teens and low 20s during the day and single digits to below 0F at night.

Can't imagine how miserable -30F is!
Definitely change oil if tube has been under snow...

Its been 80s here... man its too early and my ac bill will go up again