I have a weird one. Bearing type noise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrivesClunkers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an old rust belt 2004 and I have been chasing a noise on and off for over a year. Seems different from all the other threads I have read on here. I am pretty experienced wrenching, but this one just doesn't make sense to me after all I have done. It is a constant whirring sound that follows drive line speed. I can throw it in neutral at 40mph and the sound doesn't change. Sounds to me like a front hub assembly. When I load up the driver's side, it gets slightly more intense, and I can feel the vibration slightly in the wheel. If I turn left and take the load off, the sound almost completely goes away.

I replaced front hubs both sides about a year ago. No change. I then figured it might be rear axle bearings, and recently drive line noise has been much louder, so I started swapping those. I noticed a lot of metal back there, and found the right side of the carrier with the little metal clips was migrating and eating into the carrier bearing cap. I cleaned the diff and axle tubes and replaced the carrier bearings as well as the outer bearings and seals. I adjusted the retainers for the carrier back so the clips would stop eating into the caps. Everything felt good when I put the rear end back together. It definitely got quieter overall, but I am back to the original problem. I swapped the front drivers side hub a second time because all logic tells me that it is something on that side because it goes away when I unload that side. Some time during this, (I think when I first did the front hubs,) I removed the CV shaft on the drivers side because it was clicking and making noise at low speed when not in 4wd. It and the intermediate shaft were chewed up at their joint. So CV axle has been out for a year and the intermediate shaft is still in the front diff.

I am going crazy. I use this to tow my camper, and I am afraid it is going to bomb on me going down the highway or something. I am dragging it about 30 miles away in a couple of days. I guess I will find out!

Edit: Some time, I don't recall when, I did have new tires put on. Goodyear Wrangler SR-A. I have not swapped left and right wheels to see if it changes sides. Maybe I should try that, though my gut says it's not tire noise.

Last edited:

mb33458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
I am not a mechanic, but if your truck makes this noise on the road, and not off road, maybe it is tire related.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
U-joints ,carrier bearing ?

Buck416

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an old rust belt 2004 and I have been chasing a noise on and off for over a year. Seems different from all the other threads I have read on here. I am pretty experienced wrenching, but this one just doesn't make sense to me after all I have done. It is a constant whirring sound that follows drive line speed. I can throw it in neutral at 40mph and the sound doesn't change. Sounds to me like a front hub assembly. When I load up the driver's side, it gets slightly more intense, and I can feel the vibration slightly in the wheel. If I turn left and take the load off, the sound almost completely goes away.

I replaced front hubs both sides about a year ago. No change. I then figured it might be rear axle bearings, and recently drive line noise has been much louder, so I started swapping those. I noticed a lot of metal back there, and found the right side of the carrier with the little metal clips was migrating and eating into the carrier bearing cap. I cleaned the diff and axle tubes and replaced the carrier bearings as well as the outer bearings and seals. I adjusted the retainers for the carrier back so the clips would stop eating into the caps. Everything felt good when I put the rear end back together. It definitely got quieter overall, but I am back to the original problem. I swapped the front drivers side hub a second time because all logic tells me that it is something on that side because it goes away when I unload that side. Some time during this, (I think when I first did the front hubs,) I removed the CV shaft on the drivers side because it was clicking and making noise at low speed when not in 4wd. It and the intermediate shaft were chewed up at their joint. So CV axle has been out for a year and the intermediate shaft is still in the front diff.

I am going crazy. I use this to tow my camper, and I am afraid it is going to bomb on me going down the highway or something. I am dragging it about 30 miles away in a couple of days. I guess I will find out!

Edit: Some time, I don't recall when, I did have new tires put on. Goodyear Wrangler SR-A. I have not swapped left and right wheels to see if it changes sides. Maybe I should try that, though my gut says it's not tire noise.
When you say changing Hub do you mean 4x4 hubs or wheel bearing axle hubs? Could also be coming from Knuckle joint at wheel if 4x4, as in the U joint at axle end shaft. Non 4x4 ide be thinking wheel bearing. Easy test, jack corner of vehicle up, grab tire and wheel top to bottom then side to side, if its moving easily or sloppin about she be a bearing. They whine and or groan big time on their way out if your lucky. Ive had 4x4 hubs sound the same.

Buck416

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you say changing Hub do you mean 4x4 hubs or wheel bearing axle hubs? Could also be coming from Knuckle joint at wheel if 4x4, as in the U joint at axle end shaft. Non 4x4 ide be thinking wheel bearing. Easy test, jack corner of vehicle up, grab tire and wheel top to bottom then side to side, if its moving easily or sloppin about she be a bearing. They whine and or groan big time on their way out if your lucky. Ive had 4x4 hubs sound the same.
And will add this : Use a torque wrench on main bearings, cylinder heads and wheel bearings if nothing else. :)

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Almost a year ago I replaced an entire knuckle with wheel bearing assembly on my daughters car. Within 3 months wheel bearing went out. Drove me crazy as I checked off the parts I had replaced thinking - couldn't be that! Buck416's advice above I think is where to start.

OP
OP
D

DrivesClunkers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After putting all new axle bearings in, I ended up trading this truck for an engine for another truck. I probably shouldn't have though. I had an issue after 100 miles and what ended up to be the case with this is that the emergency brake rusted apart and getting in there to service the bearings must have broken enough rust loose to have it completely fall apart inside the drum rotor. Would have been an easy fix, but I was sick of messing with it. Thanks for the input!