Backing up with door open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When getting hay in field, MY door is never closed till trailer full. Sometimes I can get lucky and borrow my neighbor's trailer which is open flat, and guy I buy hay from has one of those pick up square bale loaders. But when I am using my stock, strictly pick up, load, stack, go home unload and stack, LOL. Not gonna open door and close door every ten feet to load hay, why I have a seatbelt clip that turns off the nanny feature.

View attachment 516888

I often use something similar on my front passenger buckle receptacle when traveling to dive sites while alone. That's usual while diving locally whether I'm meeting a buddy or just diving solo.

I regularly carry a large soft cooler on the passenger seat and even with the seatbelt-nanny feature disabled, the Evic insists on showing a big warning light and displaces other data I might like to see.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have worked on a farm, lots of construction work, and many other activities where things have to be picked up and dropped off at regular intervals in high heat and well below freezing. We always worked smarter, not harder and it never became easier to drive with a door open. Is it different on 200 acres of farm, sure. The problem becomes when someone does it in a campground, guy falls out of truck, rig rolls down and across road and blocks it for hours. Real story, and when stupid impacts everybody, that is when everybody cares.

Gary Hill22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L diesel
At one time Ram had an issue of putting tranny in park but it was actually in reverse . . there solution was to blow the horn when in reverse with door open.
I solved that by keeping my left foot on the brake while backing up with the door open.

My wife learned the $$$ way about backing out of the garage with the rear passenger door open.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guess if the story is true, the guy who got run over figured his reason to back up with the door open was important enough to do it. And he thought he was good enough to do it. And that if he couldn't have he would have been annoyed by the nanny-controlled restriction that would have prevented him from being able to do it.

When I see it done, can't help but hearing "wait for it..." in my mind. Once in a while, it happens

If one wants to drive without doors, buy a jeep and remove the doors. That massive amount of a truck's open door mass while moving results in a lot of potential energy that can ruin a day.
It actually WAS a Jeep that brought this all on, it was a movie star in his Jeep that ran over himself (or pinned him against something, I don't remember exactly) and killed him.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is tough to pull up on ramps by yourself when you can't really see them - that's usually when I use the door open feature - just to make sure that the tire is centered and on the top of the ramp.
I mean I could put it in park get out, check and then back in if I had to move it more - but that's more exercise :)

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
2022 1500 Bighorn, is there a way to turn off the feature that automatically puts your truck into emergency brake mode because you're backing up with your door open? Thanks
NOPE

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Its fun in a car wash when you hand the interior cleaning rag to the
attendant at the end. The vehicle stops and shuts the entire thing down.
:cool:

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is surprising that you can't turn this off with Alpha OBD. There are times I would like to have the door open when i back up and I certainly no how to use mirrors.

REDNECK28871

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 CLASSIC 5.7
Engine
WHY!? BACKUP CAMERA, INSIDE REARVIEW MIRROR, OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRRORS BACKUP ALARMS JUST SAYIN.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a question....
Does the other auto manufactures have this no back up open door feature?I dont know.
This story about it being liability to the manufacturer for a dips**t getting run over sounds like a hoopla story...im sure every other brand out there car or truck would've thought of this as an issue...if it was.
The OP asked a question then gets ripped for asking...like all of a sudden all the safety police start asking the other question as to why 1 would want to?..others have been kind enough to share their reasons but mine would be because I can.i dont or have a reason to but if I wanted to I would.
I dont care why 1 would want to....he does and has the right to do so if he wants to back up with the door open regardless of the reason unless there is a law that says he cant.
Kinda like asking.....why does a person need a gun or more than 1 gun?...basically the answer would be because its my right,or because I want to if I'm allowed to by law.
That's my view on this subject,hope I don't get ripped to bad for it here.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a question....
Does the other auto manufactures have this no back up open door feature?I dont know.
This story about it being liability to the manufacturer for a dips**t getting run over sounds like a hoopla story...im sure every other brand out there car or truck would've thought of this as an issue...if it was.
The OP asked a question then gets ripped for asking...like all of a sudden all the safety police start asking the other question as to why 1 would want to?..others have been kind enough to share their reasons but mine would be because I can.i dont or have a reason to but if I wanted to I would.
I dont care why 1 would want to....he does and has the right to do so if he wants to back up with the door open regardless of the reason unless there is a law that says he cant.
Kinda like asking.....why does a person need a gun or more than 1 gun?...basically the answer would be because its my right,or because I want to if I'm allowed to by law.
That's my view on this subject,hope I don't get ripped to bad for it here.
Great post Hardracer,you nailed it,i agree with you.If he wants to back up with the door open for reasons known to him,that's his perogative and he shouldn't get raked over the coals for it.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know why it's being called the backup feature????
It goes into park with the door open, seat belt off, foot off brake - forward or backward.

This is why they all go into park under the above conditions now.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does your truck have active emergency braking. If not, that is what is differnt. Any of the 8 speeds, door must be closed to put the truck in reverse or drive, once there you can open the door and move as long as the seat belt is done up. Seat belt off, the ones with active emergency braking stop you.
More of the gummit saving us from ourselves! ;)

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
This story about it being liability to the manufacturer for a dips**t getting run over sounds like a hoopla story...
Here's a Hoopla Story. There's also a case of an actor killed in a similar situation, I couldn't readily find it. Might be others as well.

Edit:
Here's the Star Trek actor who was killed by his Jeep Grand Cherokee Actor Killed by SUV

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Here's a Hoopla Story. There's also a case of an actor killed in a similar situation, I couldn't readily find it. Might be others as well.
Idiots have found new and innovative ways to kill themselves since 10,000 BC and that improved the gene pool a lot. Problem we have today is far too many idiots survive childhood. They then reproduce and stupidity is definitely an inherited trait. The world did not get better with all the ******* that survive childhood.

Last edited:

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Edit:
Here's the Star Trek actor who was killed by his Jeep Grand Cherokee Actor Killed by SUV

I get it,things happen with awful outcomes....but both of these incidents read to me as one was already out of the vehicle and not pertaining to the OPs original question as to an open door while wanting to back up...
These 2 sound more like a shift interlock type problem as in a recall for my old 2010 truck or the way one puts(or thought they put) their vehicle in park on the newer models i guess..i dont know,i dont own one, i didnt get a recall for that(but neither has nothing to do with the original question)
I'm not here to argue.im here to try and learn sumthing about our brand of truck.
Just replying to this is taking off in a different direction as to the original question.not gonna contribute anymore to this subject.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get it,things happen with awful outcomes....but both of these incidents read to me as one was already out of the vehicle and not pertaining to the OPs original question as to an open door while wanting to back up...
These 2 sound more like a shift interlock type problem as in a recall for my old 2010 truck or the way one puts(or thought they put) their vehicle in park on the newer models i guess..i dont know,i dont own one, i didnt get a recall for that(but neither has nothing to do with the original question)
I'm not here to argue.im here to try and learn sumthing about our brand of truck.
Just replying to this is taking off in a different direction as to the original question.not gonna contribute anymore to this subject.

So, maybe it was just a coincidence that the nanny feature arrived on the scene (AFAIK) immediately after this silly Star Trek incident. :cool:

Last edited: