Backwards Collision Waring and Braking - 2023 1500 Laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike_sunfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just learned the hard way that my backwards collision avoidance system is not working. I backed into a car in a parking lot and got no warning it was about to happen and certainly no automatic breaking. I assumed both features must be turned of but they are not. Anyone else experience this? Anyone have any suggestion on how to fix this on my own? If not then I will take it to the dealership and I will test it will a cardboard box first, just to make sure isn't just being flakey.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just learned the hard way that my backwards collision avoidance system is not working. I backed into a car in a parking lot and got no warning it was about to happen and certainly no automatic breaking. I assumed both features must be turned of but they are not. Anyone else experience this? Anyone have any suggestion on how to fix this on my own? If not then I will take it to the dealership and I will test it will a cardboard box first, just to make sure isn't just being flakey.
I don't use my camera anyway as I find it a nuisance, so I put a piece of tape over the lens. But before I did that I tested it. I don't believe I have an audible collision avoidance alarm (I didn't order it), but I had assumed I had some kind of warning on the camera itself if I were too close to an object - maybe flashing red lines, or something. So, I put a plastic trashcan in the driveway and slowly backed toward it while watching the camera...and ran right over the top of it. So scratch any kind of collision warning.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
does your dash options give you any option to adjust the distance to an object?

if i have my tail gate down, i have to disable the rear sensors. if i try to back up with the tail gate down, those damn brakes lock right up. under my screen theres a toggle to disable them. Truck won't even allow me to drive with a door open....brakes again!

As for the front, i think at one time i adjusted the front distance settings via the app settings for when we park in the garage.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
does your dash options give you any option to adjust the distance to an object?

if i have my tail gate down, i have to disable the rear sensors. if i try to back up with the tail gate down, those damn brakes lock right up. under my screen theres a toggle to disable them. Truck won't even allow me to drive with a door open....brakes again!

As for the front, i think at one time i adjusted the front distance settings via the app settings for when we park in the garage.
I've read here that a lot of RAMs do that. Mine doesn't. I can get in, start the truck and put it in gear, open the door and step out and it will drive off without me. If I shut the driver's door and have the keys on me it will honk bye-bye at me 3 times as it's leaving.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I backed into a car in a parking lot and got no warning it was about to happen and certainly no automatic breaking.
If you weren't getting warnings on the dash either the rear sensors bare either off or malfunction.

I don't use my camera anyway as I find it a nuisance, so I put a piece of tape over the lens. But before I did that I tested it. I don't believe I have an audible collision avoidance alarm (I didn't order it),
It's not a good thing to use the back up camera for backing up but not using it as another means of information is even worse.
The camera doesn't sense the distance to objects for the back up alerts, there are round sensors about quarter sized across the bumpers which detects distance.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you weren't getting warnings on the dash either the rear sensors bare either off or malfunction.

It's not a good thing to use the back up camera for backing up but not using it as another means of information is even worse.
The camera doesn't sense the distance to objects for the back up alerts, there are round sensors about quarter sized across the bumpers which detects distance.
Don't see any "round sensors" on mine, so no "proximity alert". I have the base model and the only options I paid for were tow hooks, the 5th-wheel prep package, and brake controller. Oh, and the spray-in bedliner, which they ended up giving me for free due to a screw up on their part. After towing every conceivable type of trailer under the sun for 40 years, all the camera does is irritate me when I see it blinking on out of the corner of my eye.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't see any "round sensors" on mine, so no "proximity alert". I have the base model and the only options I paid for were tow hooks, the 5th-wheel prep package, and brake controller. Oh, and the spray-in bedliner, which they ended up giving me for free due to a screw up on their part. After towing every conceivable type of trailer under the sun for 40 years, all the camera does is irritate me when I see it blinking on out of the corner of my eye.
No sensors ===== No backing alerts/assistance/emergency braking.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

speaking of bed liner spray....a neighbor from ohio told me that some companies are now spraying house with bed liner stuff....right over vinyl siding or any siding. I'm not sure if i like that idea, but you can get any color you want.

sorry to get off topic.

the camera is useful when i'm hooking up my 16' trailer....i can align that ball exactly where i want it. it also has the "+" icon that enlarges the screen. saves me a lot of time getting in or out

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
The auto brake only works above a certain speed so you can creep back into a parking space or to hook up to a trailer. The audible? I may be wrong and someone please correct me if I am. I believe it has volume control and may be able to be muted completely.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The auto brake only works above a certain speed so you can creep back into a parking space or to hook up to a trailer. The audible? I may be wrong and someone please correct me if I am. I believe it has volume control and may be able to be muted completely.
i have to turn mine off when backing up to the trailer...or else those damn brakes lock up. I knlow there's a "distance" setting in the apps but i never really played with it

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
i have to turn mine off when backing up to the trailer...or else those damn brakes lock up. I knlow there's a "distance" setting in the apps but i never really played with it
Hmmm I can back into a wall without the brakes locking as long as I’m just creeping. I do have my foot on the brake pedal the whole time. Don’t know if that makes a difference though. I rarely turn mine on unless I’m in a parking garage or other tight spot.