Could this creates a recall for all 2023+ RAM 1500 Classic with FCW?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
What is Ram full speed forward collision warning plus?

Available on all 2023 Ram 1500 Classic models, Full-Speed Forward Collision Warning Plus 7 can help mitigate potential collisions on the road or highway, giving you more time to react and apply the brakes.

Does it B_tch Slap you to wake you out of the daze that you have been in for several miles ?

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't tell. The only advantage of self-driving is to take you back home after a few drinks or for people who doesn't like driving.
I have to admit, I have a 2018 Caddy CT6 Platinum and it has the adaptive cruise and Super Cruise (self driving). I actually appreciate having them. The adaptive cruise is awesome and in use all the time and I have about 9-10k miles driving (sitting back with no hands or feet in use) with the Super Cruise. The Caddy warns of possible collisions and animals / people (the nite vision shows deer way early), but also takes the corrective action for you.

Only problem is sometimes it brakes for phantoms.

The Ram is for the fun driving.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have to admit, I have a 2018 Caddy CT6 Platinum and it has the adaptive cruise and Super Cruise (self driving). I actually appreciate having them. The adaptive cruise is awesome and in use all the time and I have about 9-10k miles driving (sitting back with no hands or feet in use) with the Super Cruise. The Caddy warns of possible collisions and animals / people (the nite vision shows deer way early), but also takes the corrective action for you.

Only problem is sometimes it brakes for phantoms.

The Ram is for the fun driving.
Did this feature lower your ins rates ?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes @Scottly, it is have been dragging.

Just to clarity, the model I have installed it is an active system. As I mention before I (should) have installed the LSU (Full-Speed FWD Collision Warn Plus), which is explained on page 192 of the manual says "FCW with Mitigation provides the driver with audible warnings, visual warnings (within the instrument cluster display), and may apply a brake jerk to warn the driver when it detects a potential frontal collision.". I never got any audio alert, visual warning nor active braking.

If I knew this before buying sure thing I would. The dealer told me the comes with the front camera and the active braking, and he showed me the configuration on the Uconnect.
I really don't care to Adaptive Cruise Control, but I give value to the safety bonus of the FCW.
If I understand your posts correctly, you paid for something that you didn’t get ? I’d be be upset and be be looking to get corrected also.

Now, if you paid for a feature that doesn’t work the way you thought it should, but works as designed, your most likely SOL. That includes having a salesman telling you the wrong thing. I’d still be angry, but I’d probably just let it go and enjoy my new ride.

Btw, welcome to the forum .

OP
OP
Fnord

Fnord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4
If I understand your posts correctly, you paid for something that you didn’t get ? I’d be be upset and be be looking to get corrected also.

Now, if you paid for a feature that doesn’t work the way you thought it should, but works as designed, your most likely SOL. That includes having a salesman telling you the wrong thing. I’d still be angry, but I’d probably just let it go and enjoy my new ride.

Btw, welcome to the forum .
Hi @huntergreen, thank you for the welcome message.

Yes, I bought a truck with FCW feature and got one with a FCW that doesn't work. It is an important safety feature for me. I carry my kids around, my wife also drives the truck eventually and any extra safety is welcome.

I don't think it was a dealership mistake. The FCW was described in the vehicle description, the front camera is there. I believe the trim I got came incomplete from factory, rendering the FCW to a non operation state, and it may be affecting another buyers as well.

Well, I'm waiting to get a call from a case manager since Monday, and all the times I called the customer care they said she was not in the office. So after talking to the case manager I may have news about this situation.

All the best,

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi @huntergreen, thank you for the welcome message.

Yes, I bought a truck with FCW feature and got one with a FCW that doesn't work. It is an important safety feature for me. I carry my kids around, my wife also drives the truck eventually and any extra safety is welcome.

I don't think it was a dealership mistake. The FCW was described in the vehicle description, the front camera is there. I believe the trim I got came incomplete from factory, rendering the FCW to a non operation state, and it may be affecting another buyers as well.

Well, I'm waiting to get a call from a case manager since Monday, and all the times I called the customer care they said she was not in the office. So after talking to the case manager I may have news about this situation.

All the best,
If you're that worried about it,why not trade the truck off on one with adaptive cruise,so you have FCW.You don't have to use the adaptive cruise if you don't like it,you can just use it as normal cruise,if you don't engage the adaptive cruise

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is Ram full speed forward collision warning plus?

Available on all 2023 Ram 1500 Classic models, Full-Speed Forward Collision Warning Plus 7 can help mitigate potential collisions on the road or highway, giving you more time to react and apply the brakes.

Does it B_tch Slap you to wake you out of the daze that you have been in for several miles ?

This system sounds very similar to the one that was standard on my wife’s 2014 Impala 2LTZ.

If your vehicle detects your closing speed on a vehicle in front of you and determines you MAY strike it, it sounds a VERY loud rapid beeping and flashes red warning lights into the base of the windshield (via a mini HUD control unit on the top of the dash).

The system does NOT apply the brakes.

The active front automatic braking system was an option, and not standard, although the warning system was standard.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Hi @TotallyHucked, thanks, I will get in touch with @RamCares.

Yes, it is a big deal because I wanted it. I could have bought a F-150 instead with the same money, which also comes with a similar feature.

At first I thought is was only a defective camera, but after all this back and forth to the dealership it is clear the issue is way deeper.

I'm not splitting my hairs, just sharing in this forum my findings in hope of someone had a similar issue and can help me with useful information, like you mentioned about @RamCares. Just that.
Fnord, coulda had a ford, hmm.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
If this is standard on all 2023 classics, boy I’m glad I purchased a 2022, that is the most annoying stuff I ever experienced in any vehicle.

JonSDRam22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
We have the same basic system in our 22 1500 Limited Diesel which also has the full pedestrian stop ( which can apply brakes ) as a limited 1 package. It has never worked. We didn't realize this until a couple times pedestrians stepped in front of the truck without looking and the truck failed to notice. Sure we are responsible for reacting to traffic but these features can save lives. All levels of Ram Care looked in to ours without any repair available. The truck spent 5 months at 4 dealers in San Diego. Another part of this: auto distancing cruise will work in Hwy traffic for hundreds of miles then suddenly with no warning will speed up and try to drive through the back of the car ahead. So sure many of you don't care about this fairly common technology but at the cost for these trucks it should work. Oddly all of the detection and self braking works perfectly in reverse. Like most things it will take a few well documented deaths or injuries for anything to be done. The remedy is a filing a Lemon Law Case but Stelantis has had our case for 8 months and won't settle.
Any others facing the same problem?

Ram1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone,

I would like to share my findings about why the Forward Collision Warning on my 2023 RAM 1500 Classic never worked. I took her 4 times to dealership, they acknowledge it is not working but the computer says it is, no error codes. To clarity, my pickup came with Full-speed Forward Collision Warning-Plus option.

The dealership mentioned that my pickup didn't come with ACC (adaptative cruise control) and the radar (installed on the grill) that is part of it, but for sure it came with the camera (also they replaced the camera in trying to fix issue).

Researching online (stellantisnorthamerica.com blog) I found this piece of text:

Full-speed Forward Collision Warning-Plus: Uses radar and camera technology. This system operates with all the capabilities of Forward Collision Warning-Plus. In addition, if the driver does not respond to the alerts, the braking system may bring the vehicle to a full stop when the collision threat is detected at speeds less than 25 mph.

This says the FSFCW-plus works with both radar and camera. Mine doesn't have the radar so I suppose the FSFCW does not work because of that. My conclusion is my truck came without all parts required for the FSFCW work.

I'm looking for legal advice about how to handle this. I called Chrysler customer service 3 times in the past month, got two case numbers but so far no case manager called me back.

Since ther pickups may be in the same situation and I wonder if this could create a recall? Looks like to me, when Chrysler decided to strip the ACC on my trim it disabled/disrupted the FSFCW operation.

Thanks,
It's a Warning System. Does it warn you when/if you get to close ? The system will or should alert you when you are within 2 to 3 seconds from the vehicle you are approaching. Now, Traveling at 65 mph equates to:
  • 2 seconds: Approximately 130 feet.
  • 3 seconds: Approximately 195 feet.
  • You really want to test it out? You ok with a mechanic testing it out. I would consider checking with my insurance provider first.

OP
OP
Fnord

Fnord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4
It's a Warning System. Does it warn you when/if you get to close ? The system will or should alert you when you are within 2 to 3 seconds from the vehicle you are approaching. Now, Traveling at 65 mph equates to:
  • 2 seconds: Approximately 130 feet.
  • 3 seconds: Approximately 195 feet.
  • You really want to test it out? You ok with a mechanic testing it out. I would consider checking with my insurance provider first.
Hi, the model installed on my truck it is a warning with active braking, FSFCW+.
As mentioned before, it is not working.

How do I know? I've been driving the truck for the last 6 months and since then I had no audio, visual alerts or active braking events. And people slamming the brakes in front of you happened several times. My previous vehicle had a similar feature and I know how it works.

The mechanic at the dealership I took the truck tested several times and confirmed it is not working, he never make an alert to pop up. He tested other 1500 and it worked as supposed.

I can cover the camera with a piece of cardboard and the truck does not alert that the camera is obstructed, thus disabling the FCW.

JonSDRam22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
As posted prior that is exactly what is wrong with our 2022 Limited. Our new 2023 with the same package works perfectly from day 1. Appropriate chirps and dash warning then if needed the brakes are applied. The 22 does zero!

OP
OP
Fnord

Fnord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4
I have scheduled to bring the truck to the dealership who sold it to me this Tuesday. It is the biggest RAM dealership in BC, so I hope they can figure it out what’s wrong.

OP
OP
Fnord

Fnord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4
As posted prior that is exactly what is wrong with our 2022 Limited. Our new 2023 with the same package works perfectly from day 1. Appropriate chirps and dash warning then if needed the brakes are applied. The 22 does zero!
Hi,
does your 2022 Limited have ACC (Active Cruise Control)? And does the 2023 too?

OP
OP
Fnord

Fnord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4
Hwy everyone,
The dealership here in Langley found out the issue. The FCW is working, but the calibration was off. The first two dealerships that I took probably calibrated the camera without accounting for the 1" lift kit what Warlock comes with plus the bigger BF tires.
Today it activated, way to close to the front car, like less than 5 meters, with the FCW setting to "Far", but at least it worked.
I believe they can change the calibration to increase the sensibility, pointing the camera a few degrees higher, so it will see further and the settings 'Close', 'Medium', and 'Far' distance makes more sense.:cheers: