Could this creates a recall for all 2023+ RAM 1500 Classic with FCW?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fnord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4
Hi everyone,

I would like to share my findings about why the Forward Collision Warning on my 2023 RAM 1500 Classic never worked. I took her 4 times to dealership, they acknowledge it is not working but the computer says it is, no error codes. To clarity, my pickup came with Full-speed Forward Collision Warning-Plus option.

The dealership mentioned that my pickup didn't come with ACC (adaptative cruise control) and the radar (installed on the grill) that is part of it, but for sure it came with the camera (also they replaced the camera in trying to fix issue).

Researching online (stellantisnorthamerica.com blog) I found this piece of text:

Full-speed Forward Collision Warning-Plus: Uses radar and camera technology. This system operates with all the capabilities of Forward Collision Warning-Plus. In addition, if the driver does not respond to the alerts, the braking system may bring the vehicle to a full stop when the collision threat is detected at speeds less than 25 mph.

This says the FSFCW-plus works with both radar and camera. Mine doesn't have the radar so I suppose the FSFCW does not work because of that. My conclusion is my truck came without all parts required for the FSFCW work.

I'm looking for legal advice about how to handle this. I called Chrysler customer service 3 times in the past month, got two case numbers but so far no case manager called me back.

Since ther pickups may be in the same situation and I wonder if this could create a recall? Looks like to me, when Chrysler decided to strip the ACC on my trim it disabled/disrupted the FSFCW operation.

Thanks,

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi everyone,

I would like to share my findings about why the Forward Collision Warning on my 2023 RAM 1500 Classic never worked. I took her 4 times to dealership, they acknowledge it is not working but the computer says it is, no error codes. To clarity, my pickup came with Full-speed Forward Collision Warning-Plus option.

The dealership mentioned that my pickup didn't come with ACC (adaptative cruise control) and the radar (installed on the grill) that is part of it, but for sure it came with the camera (also they replaced the camera in trying to fix issue).

Researching online (stellantisnorthamerica.com blog) I found this piece of text:

Full-speed Forward Collision Warning-Plus: Uses radar and camera technology. This system operates with all the capabilities of Forward Collision Warning-Plus. In addition, if the driver does not respond to the alerts, the braking system may bring the vehicle to a full stop when the collision threat is detected at speeds less than 25 mph.

This says the FSFCW-plus works with both radar and camera. Mine doesn't have the radar so I suppose the FSFCW does not work because of that. My conclusion is my truck came without all parts required for the FSFCW work.

I'm looking for legal advice about how to handle this. I called Chrysler customer service 3 times in the past month, got two case numbers but so far no case manager called me back.

Since ther pickups may be in the same situation and I wonder if this could create a recall? Looks like to me, when Chrysler decided to strip the ACC on my trim it disabled/disrupted the FSFCW operation.

Thanks,
How did you manage to get around before vehicles had forward collision warning,did you walk everywhere,lol.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Lol, that's funny but you know the real question here. Selling and charging for an option that in the truth doesn't work is not correct and can't be ignored.
Post up your window sticker,so we can see if they charged you for it.If there was an added fee for it,it'll be on your window sticker,and you might be able to get that refunded.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Have you reached out to @RamCares ? I honestly think you're splitting hairs here, I don't see how it's worth your time and frustration to even research and try to pursue this legally. If it's that big of a deal to you, go test drive other trucks till you find one that works and buy that truck

OP
OP
Fnord

Fnord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4
Have you reached out to @RamCares ? I honestly think you're splitting hairs here, I don't see how it's worth your time and frustration to even research and try to pursue this legally. If it's that big of a deal to you, go test drive other trucks till you find one that works and buy that truck
Hi @TotallyHucked, thanks, I will get in touch with @RamCares.

Yes, it is a big deal because I wanted it. I could have bought a F-150 instead with the same money, which also comes with a similar feature.

At first I thought is was only a defective camera, but after all this back and forth to the dealership it is clear the issue is way deeper.

I'm not splitting my hairs, just sharing in this forum my findings in hope of someone had a similar issue and can help me with useful information, like you mentioned about @RamCares. Just that.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I see that as a completely and utterly useless feature that I would keep deactivated but if it's a make or break it for ya, by all means, go after Chrysler and let us know how it goes.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
You have been posting about this since November.

As indicated on the RAM website, this system, "can help mitigate potential collisions on the road or highway, giving you more time to react and apply the brakes". That sounds to me like it doesn't do the braking for you. It also sounds like maybe the dealer doesn't understand that it's a warning system, not an active system.

I could be wrong on all accounts here, but the systems on other brands are similar...Warning system, unless it has active cruise.

OP
OP
Fnord

Fnord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4
Post up your window sticker,so we can see if they charged you for it.If there was an added fee for it,it'll be on your window sticker,and you might be able to get that refunded.
It came with the trim, no extra cost described, like all weather mats that you can add later.

In the vehicle description there is the code LSU (Full-Speed FWD Collision Warn Plus), as well with other codes like ADA (Luxury Group) and DMH (3.92 Rear Axle Ratio).

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It came with the trim, no extra cost described, like all weather mats that you can add later.

In the vehicle description there is the code LSU (Full-Speed FWD Collision Warn Plus), as well with other codes like ADA (Luxury Group) and DMH (3.92 Rear Axle Ratio).
So they didn't really charge you for it then.Why didn't you buy a truck with adaptive cruise if it means that much to you.I think you'll be SOL on getting anywhere,but kudo's out to you,if you do

OP
OP
Fnord

Fnord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4
You have been posting about this since November.

As indicated on the RAM website, this system, "can help mitigate potential collisions on the road or highway, giving you more time to react and apply the brakes". That sounds to me like it doesn't do the braking for you. It also sounds like maybe the dealer doesn't understand that it's a warning system, not an active system.

I could be wrong on all accounts here, but the systems on other brands are similar...Warning system, unless it has active cruise.
Yes @Scottly, it is have been dragging.

Just to clarity, the model I have installed it is an active system. As I mention before I (should) have installed the LSU (Full-Speed FWD Collision Warn Plus), which is explained on page 192 of the manual says "FCW with Mitigation provides the driver with audible warnings, visual warnings (within the instrument cluster display), and may apply a brake jerk to warn the driver when it detects a potential frontal collision.". I never got any audio alert, visual warning nor active braking.

So they didn't really charge you for it then.Why didn't you buy a truck with adaptive cruise if it means that much to you.I think you'll be SOL on getting anywhere,but kudo's out to you,if you do
If I knew this before buying sure thing I would. The dealer told me the comes with the front camera and the active braking, and he showed me the configuration on the Uconnect.
I really don't care to Adaptive Cruise Control, but I give value to the safety bonus of the FCW.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have that feature on my truck and I don't have front camera.
I disabled it first day. They aren't going to do a recall cause factory forgot a part. Get them to fix it.
Send message to @RamCares

OP
OP
Fnord

Fnord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4
Yes I did send a message to @RamCares.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

It comes with it. Mine did too. It's useless piece of crap. He should get it fix.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes @Scottly, it is have been dragging.

Just to clarity, the model I have installed it is an active system. As I mention before I (should) have installed the LSU (Full-Speed FWD Collision Warn Plus), which is explained on page 192 of the manual says "FCW with Mitigation provides the driver with audible warnings, visual warnings (within the instrument cluster display), and may apply a brake jerk to warn the driver when it detects a potential frontal collision.". I never got any audio alert, visual warning nor active braking.

If I knew this before buying sure thing I would. The dealer told me the comes with the front camera and the active braking, and he showed me the configuration on the Uconnect.
I really don't care to Adaptive Cruise Control, but I give value to the safety bonus of the FCW.
I love the adaptive cruise on my wifes last 2 Challengers,and our 300,but i've turned off the FCW in all 3 of them,as it's nothing but a pain in the a$$

OP
OP
Fnord

Fnord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4
Waiting for the FCW system to work is just the stop-gap until the new autonomous driving EV arrives and you can take a nap till the buzzer sounds when that you have arrived.

Don't tell. The only advantage of self-driving is to take you back home after a few drinks or for people who doesn't like driving.