bad front suspension components?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck: 2018 Power Wagon with 1.5" Thuren level kit. Going over rough patches of road I get what feels like excessive "bounce" under the front end. Feels like there is some suspension components.

Replaced: Drag link (Synergy), track bar (Thuren) and tie rod (Synergy). Ensured proper torque and retorque at suggested miles.

Still getting this issue. I've also had the drivers side front shock (FOX) go bad.

Any chance that one, or both, front coils are bad? Thoughts? I've literally been through everything up front, checked bearings, ball joints, u-joints etc. everything is solid.

thanks for any insight you can give.

Last edited:

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put it back to stock and see how it is. The PW is already level

OP
OP
phil frost

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thinking about that. Mine wasn't level though. and I am also running 37" tires so they may not fit back to stock height.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Send a note to Thuren, he may some insight and help with troubleshooting. He's pretty knowledgeable on these platforms. You said a Fox shock went bad, was it replaced with same brand/model/valving? I'm thinking shocks. Unless you're romping and thrashing it, the shocks should be smoothing out the ride and keeping the wheels in contact with surface.

OP
OP
phil frost

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yep Fox replaced them. had the same issue. I even tried a different brand only to have the same issue. I am also looking into alignment specs... since I recently replaced the tie rod, drag link and track bar, I had an alignment shop realign the truck. I am checking those specs against what Thuren recommends... particularly, Caster.

I also have an issue with a clicking sounds in my steering column (outside of the cab). Turns out the bearings in lower steering column are going bad, perhaps a flat spot.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would say shocks. Spring typically do not go bad unless the break. When and if they wear down they will compress and not have near the spring attributes. Did you order the thuren fox shocks with the springs?

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sorry maybe I missed this.......are they Thuren's specially valved shocks that go with their springs?

OP
OP
phil frost

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry maybe I missed this.......are they Thuren's specially valved shocks that go with their springs?
No sir. Just the Fox 2.0 shocks they offer to go with the 1.5" lift.
Tire pressure ?
Running 37" tires, but have them set to 45 psi cold. they get up to around 52 psi when warmer and after driving.

OP
OP
phil frost

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would say shocks. Spring typically do not go bad unless the break. When and if they wear down they will compress and not have near the spring attributes. Did you order the thuren fox shocks with the springs?
I thought so. I figured a bad spring would cause sag. Wasn't sure if anyone ever has a spring go bad as I never had, so I figured I'd ask. The fox shocks came from Thuren with the springs.

OP
OP
phil frost

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been emailing with Andrew from Thuren over the last day. He's been helping me to out and has been super cool to work with. One thing I have not re-checked, which I will today, is the track bar torque... supposed to be 215 ft lbs. I'll crawl under this morning to ensure they are still torqued correctly. - figures, it snowed overnight and is 29 degrees, and the PW doesn't fit into the garage. LOL

And thanks to you all who have responded to my post... much appreciated.

Hope ya'll have a wonderful Easter Sunday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
phil frost

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just in from the cold. Checked torque on the trackbar... both mounting bolts are over 215 ft lbs, so that is not it. Feeling like it has to be something stupid at this point, since I have checked everything I can think of.

The only other thing I have been thinking about are all of the radius arm bushings, which I doubt would be the issue. But could "justify" going to a 4 link setup. ; )

Dodge Off Road

Attachments

• PW St.jpg
    PW St.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Have you tried rotating the tires? or raising the air pressure in the tires?

OP
OP
phil frost

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you tried rotating the tires? or raising the air pressure in the tires?
Yes sir. I rotate my tires every 3k miles. Have had this issue for quite some time now. Current milage ~62k miles.

I had higher tire pressure which made it worse.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Running 37" tires, but have them set to 45 psi cold. they get up to around 52 psi when warmer and after and after driving.
I have my 33s re balanced at every rotation now.
I believe 37s would be significantly more unsprung weight per corner but in addition to what the rim material weight.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you checked your ball joints?

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Years ago I was running some new replacement Bridgestone LT steel belted radial tires (sold under a Sears name as Roadhandler LT tires) on our fairly new 1984 GMC 4x4. They balanced out fine, but the hidden steel belts under the tread were separating causing vibration. It occurred on several of the tires. I finally noticed the separation due one was splitting wide open between the tread blocks.

Big_Papa_R

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Just a thought. That track bar is adjustable? If it's was the drivers side giving you issues. Check the length on the track bar. Did it come out of adjustment. Look at the front of your truck. Does it look like the axle is further to the ds or ps then the other.

OP
OP
phil frost

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you checked your ball joints?
Yep, all good and tight, no play.
Years ago I was running some new replacement Bridgestone LT steel belted radial tires (sold under a Sears name as Roadhandler LT tires) on our fairly new 1984 GMC 4x4. They balanced out fine, but the hidden steel belts under the tread were separating causing vibration. It occurred on several of the tires. I finally noticed the separation due one was splitting wide open between the tread blocks.

I was having this issue with my 35's quite some time ago, then with the 37" Maxis Razr's and now with the 37" Cooper STT's. So I'm fairly confident it's not tire related. Thanks though.
Just a thought. That track bar is adjustable? If it's was the drivers side giving you issues. Check the length on the track bar. Did it come out of adjustment. Look at the front of your truck. Does it look like the axle is further to the ds or ps then the other.

Yep, fully adjustable trackbar. I will definitely check for that. Thanks.

Last edited:

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@phil frost

Tough to say. I would trying bolting on another set of shocks and double check your tires. How are the swaybar ends?