Bad mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
chinese HiDs lol. work and dont work constantly when your driving home from the bar...

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've installed two of the DeeZee tailgate Assist kits on previous trucks. One the bolt came loose and both of them pop loud every time I open the tailgate. No matter where I put that plastic sleeve it pops on the way down.

If you search my name, I put in the part number of a Home Depot washer that you need to install. With this washer AND the plastic piece it works wonderfully. Without it, the cable would pop all over the place, even get trapped between the gate and the brake light when closing. They, should include this washer in their kit, and let people know.

I can not live without this kit...

Ixxblitzxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.7
My worst mod so far is definitely my LED cubes off of Amazon, I've tried multiple brands and they all develop moisture inside them, they're junk.

cdyt7717

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
worst so far was doing a tranny line pressure booster. Basically, you just wire a resistor in parallel with your pressure sensor, it boots the pressure in the trans and so on. It turned my check engine light on and I didn't like that. When i unplugged the resistor, the original wires ended up crossed. I was very lucky and grateful that I could get a used tranny installed for free but it still costed me $400

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Vararam for my 2007. Most gimmicky piece of trash I have ever purchased. Thin plastic, rattle ridden piece of crap. Never sat straight, tb boot wasnt long enough. Had to fight with them to get another one. Still never sat right on the intake and rubbed on the intake, the hood, the washer bottle, etc. The clear plastic became black and nasty and rubbed on the hood installation. The big snorkel tubes hold water, dirt, bugs, birds, and anything else they can suck up. All that crap regularly made it passed the baffles and into the air box. Thing refused to stay bolted to the tb. Constantly fell of. Pop rivets pulled out. "Hood pins" rusted to hell. Utter junk. I screwed and rtv'd it back together for 2 years. Came apart one last time and I threw it in the weeds and put on a cheap tube, cone filter type. Gets better mileage with the cheapo intake. Would highly caution anyone with a 3rd gen to stay far away from it.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Vararam for my 2007. Most gimmicky piece of trash I have ever purchased. Thin plastic, rattle ridden piece of crap. Never sat straight, tb boot wasnt long enough. Had to fight with them to get another one. Still never sat right on the intake and rubbed on the intake, the hood, the washer bottle, etc. The clear plastic became black and nasty and rubbed on the hood installation. The big snorkel tubes hold water, dirt, bugs, birds, and anything else they can suck up. All that crap regularly made it passed the baffles and into the air box. Thing refused to stay bolted to the tb. Constantly fell of. Pop rivets pulled out. "Hood pins" rusted to hell. Utter junk. I screwed and rtv'd it back together for 2 years. Came apart one last time and I threw it in the weeds and put on a cheap tube, cone filter type. Gets better mileage with the cheapo intake. Would highly caution anyone with a 3rd gen to stay far away from it.

You like the hoses that go to the middle of the bumper huh?

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You like the hoses that go to the middle of the bumper huh?

Lol. Yes. Home depot dryer hoses that hold about a quart of water, rocks, and rodents a piece.
Here is what came out when I finally gave up on it.

Attachments

• 20161008_122003.jpg
    20161008_122003.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 20161008_122001.jpg
    20161008_122001.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 171

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i bought a ****tybuilt xrc black box online from just jeeps.they shipped it from cali to toronto then back across canada to vancouver?? i asked just jeeps to inspect the thing before shipping it to me.after a month it arrives missing the keys to the locks,missing 2 hinge pins and was welded crooked so it sat at an angle when installed.the so called "powder coat" was actually some crappy wrinkle paint.cost me almost 500 bucks and looked horrible. returning it was just not worth the hassle. sold it last year for 300 bucks.i'll never buy anything smittybilt again.my amazon light cubes also retain moisture but i can live with it.i can't bring myself to spend rigid prices for lights.

Last edited:

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eBay headlights

JonnYuma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Vararam for my 2007. Most gimmicky piece of trash I have ever purchased
... put on a cheap tube, cone filter type. Gets better mileage with the cheapo intake.
This thread is plenty old enough that I should have seen it sooner, but I'm glad I went w my gut and bought a cheap-ish Spectre (about half of what K&N sells for) air intake from Summit. It actually did make a small seat-of-the-pants improvement and a little bit of confirmation bias never hurts.

I saw/read some laments over aftermarket exhaust systems. Since this thread will be getting a bump, would anyone care to expound on which systems were a bad mod and why? An after-cat dual system is on my early spring to-do list...

Buck-One

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7l HEMI
BakFlip MX4 Tonneau - Love it.
K&N Air Intake - Decent
Throttle Commander w/ BT- Love it
DeeZee Tailgate Assist -Love it
Putco Blade 60" Tailgate Light bar - Love it

Stubby Antenna from Amazon - TOTAL PIECE OF SH#T !! :mad:

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DeeZee Tailgate Assist- :waytogo:

Tygar Roll up Tonnue- :waytogo:

The Chrome handle covers and wheel arches (install by PO) - :puke:

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't done any mods yet that I haven't been pleased with. I'm very choosey in what mods I make.

gen3_bk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new here, figured I would add.
Bought this short antenna the other day thinking it was a cool little easy mod, well say bye to your radio signal. Returned and got my money back
Ronin Factory Antenna 4" --- nope