BAK Roll-X Tonneau Cover :-(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Been meaning to write this for a while, but just thought I'd share my experiance with the BakFlip Roll-X tonneau cover I bought for my 2015 2500 CC.
1st, the BAK covers are not cheap. I paid $899 for mine so I think that makes it one of the most expensive covers on the market.

2nd, they sent the cover without the short shims that are required for proper installation on my truck. I was able to install it okay, but the shims are prefered to make the fit the way it should be. They have since sent me teh shims, but I haven't yet pulled it apart to fit the shims.

3rd, while the cover is well made and looks good on the truck, if you open the rear window at highway speeds you can hear the cover rattling.

4th, the cover has nylon straps for holding the cover in place while in the rolled up position. One end of the straps is outside the truck bed so it can be buckled to the other half of the strap once the cover is rolled up. When the cover is extended over the bed and the strap is not in use (99% of the time) the strap and plastic buckle hang between the bed and cab of the truck. While driving, the buckles flap in the wind and clatter around between the bed and cab making an irritating noise. I ended up glueing a small magnet to each of the plastic buckles so they would stick to the front of the bed and not flap around.

5th, while the cover does fit well, it still allows a small amount of leakage around the ends where it doesn't seal tight, so expect a small amount of infiltration of rain water around the edges, especially at the tailgate.

All in all I'm pretty disapointed in the Roll-X cover! For as expensive as it is, it should be engineered better! Plastic buckles that flap in the wind banging and rattling between the cab and bed....really?

It looks like the Roll-X may have been replaced by the Revolver-X recently, but it looks like the same thing in the pictures. Maybe they have fixed some of the shortcomings!

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dang,

The Roll-X never was on my short list.

For my specific needs, better values were found elsewhere.

As always,,, YMMV

fdnj48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Been meaning to write this for a while, but just thought I'd share my experiance with the BakFlip Roll-X tonneau cover I bought for my 2015 2500 CC.

1st, the BAK covers are not cheap. I paid $899 for mine so I think that makes it one of the most expensive covers on the market.

2nd, they sent the cover without the short shims that are required for proper installation on my truck. I was able to install it okay, but the shims are prefered to make the fit the way it should be. They have since sent me teh shims, but I haven't yet pulled it apart to fit the shims.

3rd, while the cover is well made and looks good on the truck, if you open the rear window at highway speeds you can hear the cover rattling.

4th, the cover has nylon straps for holding the cover in place while in the rolled up position. One end of the straps is outside the truck bed so it can be buckled to the other half of the strap once the cover is rolled up. When the cover is extended over the bed and the strap is not in use (99% of the time) the strap and plastic buckle hang between the bed and cab of the truck. While driving, the buckles flap in the wind and clatter around between the bed and cab making an irritating noise. I ended up glueing a small magnet to each of the plastic buckles so they would stick to the front of the bed and not flap around.

5th, while the cover does fit well, it still allows a small amount of leakage around the ends where it doesn't seal tight, so expect a small amount of infiltration of rain water around the edges, especially at the tailgate.

All in all I'm pretty disapointed in the Roll-X cover! For as expensive as it is, it should be engineered better! Plastic buckles that flap in the wind banging and rattling between the cab and bed....really?

It looks like the Roll-X may have been replaced by the Revolver-X recently, but it looks like the same thing in the pictures. Maybe they have fixed some of the shortcomings!

I have the BakFlip Fibermax and I am kind of in the same boat as you. It looks great and all but it too allows a decent amount of rain/car wash water into the bed all the time. Mine was $849 so I know how you feel with paying so much for in my opinion a somewhat mediocre cover. My $300 Lund Genesis from my old truck didn't even leak as much as this [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I bought a Roll-x back in March and got a good forum discount plus a $50 mail in rebate. Came out around $600 if I recall.

I actually like the roll-x but can't disagree with your points really. It isn't the most rain tight for sure and I think they made the straps too short which causes the buckles to bang around between the bed and Cab like you said.
I ended up getting Velcro tie wraps from Walmart to keep em from banging around. Works well.
e082fe524dab59ff9343e3e14747dbbd.jpg

I also ended up using the thicker foam gasket at the cab end of the bed and notched it slightly to let the straps come through in an effort to seal things up more. Added some more gasket at the front edges that meet the bed rail caps also.
My unit came with the shims and I didn't have any issue there.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I love my Truxedo of the same general type. The "hook" part of the latch for when it's opened remains under the cover. The part the hook latches to is thick rubber and doesn't move.

I can't hear any rattling when rolling and I have my rear window open a lot.

Mine does let a bit of water in around the corners but is fairly water tight. I figure that one cuts both ways - if it were 100% water tight anything I put in there wet would never dry. I sometimes throw damp coveralls or firewood in the bed so some air movement is nice.

I can't remember but I think I paid around $650 for mine (installed).

This is the 2nd Truxedo of the same type I've had. The first one lasted me 6+ years and still looked great when I sold the truck. I was so happy with it I bought the exact same one for my new Ram.

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I think the revolver x2 fixes #2,3,4 on your complaints. I paid $799 for it, but it is usually $899. It is definitely not watertight but doesn't seem to bad. We have had pretty steady rain the past few days (3 inches in 2 days) and I had some water drops near the tailgate area, but 6 inches up was dry.

I've never had a bed cover before, so I don't have anything to compare too. I'd read similar experiences from most of the other covers and nearly everyone mentioned leaks near the tailgate.

hinzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the Roll-X as well and had the same complaints about the straps between the cab and the bed rattling.

I recently traded that truck and ordered the Revolver x2 for my new one because they addressed the issues/complaints that I had.

I loved the Roll-X otherwise, so with the changes I'm sure I'll be more than satisfied with the Revolver x2

hankRam2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have roll-x 2 and love it. No complaints.

finstinct

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie CrewCab 2x4
Engine
Flame Red & Bright Silver / 5.7 Hemi
I've had the roll-x since the summer here in So. Fl. and the rivets holding the straps on and the rivets holding on their (2) topside badges (gaudy) are rusted. I think for >$700 nothing should rust inside of 6 mos. Will not be buying anything from them again.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I've had the roll-x since the summer here in So. Fl. and the rivets holding the straps on and the rivets holding on their (2) topside badges (gaudy) are rusted. I think for >$700 nothing should rust inside of 6 mos. Will not be buying anything from them again.
I've had my original roll-x since April without any issues. Just double checked those badges and they are still looking good. I hope my luck continues.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

hankRam2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

You have original rollx or roll x 2?

finstinct

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie CrewCab 2x4
Engine
Flame Red & Bright Silver / 5.7 Hemi
You have original rollx or roll x 2?
Tags say "roll-x" so I'm guessing the original. Forgot to mention that water pools in the fwd passenger corner too. I'll post a couple of pics so I don't come across as a whiner. - I installed it the first week of May 2015

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

f388c825d68d4d0095c37a60a6d89d11.jpgf83e2b96807db50e870bfa1240df695e.jpg01de7bbd8e39c4b08cb1fc6497f6a6b2.jpg138622ea4776d7ed9cbd27a3b9046101.jpg36924b88a6225e02d5c49924d964f20f.jpg

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
I guess I am the odd duck. I have mine and love it. I had the RollBak and was in love with that, but when I traded in my QC for my CC, I couldn't lose the bed space. I put rubber bands on the straps and never hear them ticking anymore. I have a seal on the front and rear of the bed and it has no moisture in it after our 9 inches of rain we just had. I got the shims, and used them. I did receive some bent rails, and they replaced them ASAP. Great customer service and two solid products in a row. It sucks your this unhappy, but try calling them. For those with rust, I cannot speak to that since I don't have any at all. I hear a little noise when I have the window open, but my buddies rolling cover does it 10x worse and I cant think of the brand. My badges look fine, I just don't like em. And I wouldn't trade this thing for the flip if you paid me to. I like the convenience of having it open and not needing additional security. The only mod is the bracket I want to put in to keep a coat hanger from opening it, although the weather strip takes away the view.

All in all, I found a way to void most of your issues, but some I just haven't dealt with. Some would say the rubber bands are not something we should have to deal with, but for me, why not? Its barely open and its a cheap fix. Much better than having it block my back window. So cheap, I replace them when the sun bakes them. Anything the company would offer would be more annoying.

Best of luck!

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the Roll-x imo is a product that BAK should stop making all together - a good concept but they just can't get the quality part figured out.

i bought a G2 back in 2012 and with a quick clean it looks as good as new!

with the experience of the G2 i decided to get a roll-x for my 2015 expecting the same quality as the G2 however i was really really disappointed! the quality was just not there... the G2 fit like a glove and in less than 30mins.
the roll-x took 2 days of install - adjust - re-install and it still didn't fit right (not to mention i lost the cargo rails on my ram-box (no biggie but was unexpected - they should've used that rail as a starting point of their locking mechanism IMO).

i replaced the roll-x with a VP (only coz BAK were trying to make amends and gave me a good deal - a gesture which i really appreciate). the VP is a much better product and on par with BAK's standards.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357