Bakflip tonneau fiberglass is failing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tobyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 Diesel
Hi,

New-to-me 2015 1500 has a BakFlip Fibermax tonneau cover whose fiberglass appears to be failing. I think the cover has been on the truck since about new, so 6-ish years, and all of it in the Colorado sun.

I'm not concerned about the cosmetics (although if it was brought back to black I would not be complaining). The issue is the fiberglass is getting aggressive. My toddler was crawling around on the closed tonneau and right after was complaining her legs, butt, and hands hurt. I wasn't sure what happened until I dragged a hand across the cover and ended up with glass needles in my palm. Not awesome.

Does anyone know of any solution or fix to seal the glass back down? I called Bak and they had nothing.

Thanks,
Toby.
2021-04-27 10.04.58.jpg 2021-04-26 12.58.26.jpg

Novawill72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
You would need to put new gel cost on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same things happening to mine. When it gets bad enough I’m swapping for an aluminum roll up instead. I’ve cleaned it and tried waxing it but nothing helped. Mines around 4 years old

OP
OP
T

tobyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 Diesel
I'm hoping there's something I can paint on or perhaps a film I can lay down. I've googled up gel coat repair and all I find is how to fix dings or a dull appearance in boats -- not how to put down a whole new top coat. I'm probably not searching the right way, so will keep looking.

The alu roll-up version looks interesting. Other than just a different way of rolling up the cover vs folding it, is there anything else compelling about that style?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No. I’ll be doing roll up only because it’ll be easier for me when I install my bed rack.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Epoxy marine paint

OP
OP
T

tobyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 Diesel
Thanks for the pointers, I've placed an order with Marine Coat One for some gel coat repair. Jesse there was very helpful and gave me a promo code to cover the cost of shipping. For anyone reading this for the same reason I needed it, make sure you get the coat that has wax in it.

I'll post back here when it's applied and fixed.