Balance beads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdn cj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like BlackGold mentioned, it’s pretty common in the off-road community to use them in large tires. It’s also common to soak them in antifreeze so they don’t chunk up in freezing weather.
Golf balls have also been used in monster tires …..

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
E3 spark plugs anyone ?
no one has them unless they believe the ads.

Where i buy my tires, the have the Hunter Road Force Balance machine.
When ever they balance the tires, they use that machine.
I bought my Michelins there & every 6,000 miles, they rotate & Balance for free .

IDK what most do with rebalancing their trucks tires . Years ago I started buying tires from a shop that a guy managed , he later opened up a new shop . Been buying tires from him for nearly 30 years . Went in , and it's been years ago ,and wanted my tires rotated ,and balanced . He asked me do they need rebalancing ,as far as I knew they did not they ran great , he said leave them alone , I did ,just rotated .

I can't remember the last time I had a truck tire rebalanced . Presently running Cooper AT3 XLT's ,they balanced up pretty good I felt , I don't even bother going to the tire shop for rotation , I find it just as easy to do it in my garage , and I know they are torqued correctly etc etc .

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I use Discount Tire for all my tire/wheel needs

Every time that my truck has been driven 6,000 miles, i take it in for a tire rotation.
When they remove the tires, they always put them on the Hunter Road Force Balance Machine, i don't even have to ask for that service.

I bought the rims & tires & some tire replacement plan through Discount Tire,
so that may be why they balance the tires every time

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have a vibration at 70mph? Would these beads help? I’ve tried balancing and rotating. I’m to the point that I think it might be cv shaft or warped rotor.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So I have a vibration at 70mph? Would these beads help? I’ve tried balancing and rotating. I’m to the point that I think it might be cv shaft or warped rotor.

If it were a warped rotor you would have a soft brake pedal from it pushing the pistons back in. I have the same issue at 70mph. Started when I got the new tires. Been road forced twice. I just ordered some balance beads for mine as well at the injector setup. Going to try them next time I do an oil change. Need to take the tires off to remove the existing weights. Hopefully it's the fix, we shall see!

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I just installed front only Centramatics yesterday. I feel it took the slight imbalance out that it had around 65mph.
20231102_150536.jpg
Screenshot_20231102_171506_Chrome.jpg

I went this route since they're reusable and I don't want wheel weights on the aluminum dually wheels.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I use Discount Tire for all my tire/wheel needs

Every time that my truck has been driven 6,000 miles, i take it in for a tire rotation.
When they remove the tires, they always put them on the Hunter Road Force Balance Machine, i don't even have to ask for that service.

I bought the rims & tires & some tire replacement plan through Discount Tire,
so that may be why they balance the tires every time

Couple things , as said if they don't need balancing I certainly don't want them messed with . Another thing these guys in these tire shops , and probably more so today, especially since covid , getting decent help . Just an observation that I see just about every time I go in a tire shop ,that is the torquing of the lug nuts . They rattle them on with an air gun ,then stick the torque wrench to them , and a lot of times I do not see that torque wrench move ,all it does is click , right there they are overtightened .

I tell them ,turn your air pressure down , I don't want those lug nuts any tighter then about 80-90 ft. lbs. then torque them to the correct ft. lbs. They look at me ,and know that I know what happens , and I actually get to see that torque wrench move , and tighten ,and click . So unless my tires actually need to be rebalanced , they never get to see my truck or car again until I need new tires, and then as said they get told what to do on the torquing of the lug nuts .

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Couple things , as said if they don't need balancing I certainly don't want them messed with . Another thing these guys in these tire shops , and probably more so today, especially since covid , getting decent help . Just an observation that I see just about every time I go in a tire shop ,that is the torquing of the lug nuts . They rattle them on with an air gun ,then stick the torque wrench to them , and a lot of times I do not see that torque wrench move ,all it does is click , right there they are overtightened .

I tell them ,turn your air pressure down , I don't want those lug nuts any tighter then about 80-90 ft. lbs. then torque them to the correct ft. lbs. They look at me ,and know that I know what happens , and I actually get to see that torque wrench move , and tighten ,and click . So unless my tires actually need to be rebalanced , they never get to see my truck or car again until I need new tires, and then as said they get told what to do on the torquing of the lug nuts .

Take a closer look next time. Are they using a colored extension in between the socket and gun? Whether it's red, yellow, green, blue, ect. designates the torque value. Those extensions are called Torque Sticks and most shops use them.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Take a closer look next time. Are they using a colored extension in between the socket and gun? Whether it's red, yellow, green, blue, ect. designates the torque value. Those extensions are called Torque Sticks and most shops use them.

I'm aware of the torque sticks , but just plain don't trust what they do . But to be honest , didn't pay much attention , what I did notice was there no movement when they put the torque wrench to it .

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I'm aware of the torque sticks , but just plain don't trust what they do . But to be honest , didn't pay much attention , what I did notice was there no movement when they put the torque wrench to it .

If they're properly torqued from the Torque Sticks, there wouldn't be any movement when checked with a torque wrench. The Sticks got it to where it needs to be.

I get what you're thinking, (I think) by you not seeing them torqued from the start with the torque wrench you're assuming they were over torqued.

The bigger concern to me is the fact they're torque wrench has a lot better chance of being inaccurate than a Torque Stick that isn't sensitive to shock and needs calibration like a torque wrench.

I'd trust a torque stick any day over a tire jockey's used and abused torque wrench.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If they're properly torqued from the Torque Sticks, there wouldn't be any movement when checked with a torque wrench. The Sticks got it to where it needs to be.

I get what you're thinking, (I think) by you not seeing them torqued from the start with the torque wrench you're assuming they were over torqued.

The bigger concern to me is the fact they're torque wrench has a lot better chance of being inaccurate than a Torque Stick that isn't sensitive to shock and needs calibration like a torque wrench.

I'd trust a torque stick any day over a tire jockey's used and abused torque wrench.

Thanks . I will pay more attention the next time .

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it were a warped rotor you would have a soft brake pedal from it pushing the pistons back in. I have the same issue at 70mph. Started when I got the new tires. Been road forced twice. I just ordered some balance beads for mine as well at the injector setup. Going to try them next time I do an oil change. Need to take the tires off to remove the existing weights. Hopefully it's the fix, we shall see!
Im curious let me know….I have duratracs and feel this can be a thing, but my brother gifted me a used set with not much tread and this wasn’t a thing. I also had a shop **** up my front diff so I had to get a used one and and wondering if a cv shaft can do that? I have a little bit of play if I try and wiggle it. Only other thing I can come up with is an out of round tire or driveline weight.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
E3 spark plugs anyone ?

You dont hang around with off-roaders or guys that ride SxS do you ?

Its literally in my 37s on my truck and i had them in my SxS as well.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. I've seen them too. They used to have 'rings' or discs that went on behind wheels too, remember those? When I was a lot younger I tried some 'miracle' products and later wondered what I was thinking .... . We all probably do at one point in time or another. Remember the 4-prong spark plugs that were supposed to change the world?:D
Man,I've had a sh*t-ton of those "wth" was I thinking moments in my life....most very stupid.like how fast and far can I jump this racing 4wheeler..alot of those moments...bet I can drive to other side of this flag pond in this jacked up truck runnin on 44's...ya,the great/stupid memories...lol

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
E3 spark plugs anyone ?
The OEM plugs on one of my toy cars are the Bosch +4.

Does it matter? I dunno. Could be just Germans taking care of other German companies.

But I do think the OEM chose it for a reason; even if it was only for a longer service interval (most likely).

Attachments

• Toy1 & Truck.jpg
    Toy1 & Truck.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 6