Ball Joints After 42K miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

earl.allen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Folks,

On my 2008 1500 4.7L, Reg Cab SLT, 42K miles ago during a tire purchase, the local Goodyear Car Care Center (whom I used to trust) changed all four front ball joints and tie rods ends, an axle and drive shaft u-joints. Now 42K miles later they tell me that they cannot do the alignment because there is play in the ball joints and tie-rods. I told them to just stick with the tire rotation and balance and I'll come get the truck. Sound like bull&#it to y'all?

I'm going to get them to put it in writing with cost estimates and take a closer look at what it supposedly needs when I return.

Earl Allen,
Houma, LA

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could be BS or could be that they installed cheap parts last time and they are all shot now. Also we dont have any real data to go by. Like is the truck off roaded hard, is it all stock or is it lifted what brand parts where used for prior repairs, did you notice the truck behaving any differently? I would pick the truck up and check it out for yourself.

really hard to say without more info. Could be legit, could be BS. Generally I like to recommend to stay away from these corporate chain places, especially tire ones like that.

OP
OP
E

earl.allen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
It's all stock and no off-roading, but some of the roads down here are real crap. I installed four Bilstein shocks about 65K miles ago. In addition to the ball-joints and tie rod ends, they said it needed shocks and one of them appeared to be leaking. That part was correct, so I stopped and picked up a set of Duralast front shocks. While changing those out, I did notice the MOOG logo around the grease fitting of the upper ball-joints. I couldn't detect any movement, so I installed the shocks, greased up the joints a bit and called it a day.

Codyyounkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Folks,

On my 2008 1500 4.7L, Reg Cab SLT, 42K miles ago during a tire purchase, the local Goodyear Car Care Center (whom I used to trust) changed all four front ball joints and tie rods ends, an axle and drive shaft u-joints. Now 42K miles later they tell me that they cannot do the alignment because there is play in the ball joints and tie-rods. I told them to just stick with the tire rotation and balance and I'll come get the truck. Sound like bull&#it to y'all?

I'm going to get them to put it in writing with cost estimates and take a closer look at what it supposedly needs when I return.

Earl Allen,
Houma, LA
Seems to me that who ever did them before probably tossed some cheap ones in? No reason for them to go out in 42k miles unless cheap, defective, or poorly installed in my opinion.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doesn't your Bilstein shocks have a lifetime warranty?
Same for the suspension parts as many do?

OP
OP
E

earl.allen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Doesn't your Bilstein shocks have a lifetime warranty?
Same for the suspension parts as many do?
Yea, I always thought the same thing about Bilstiens, In my earlier years, I used them on every classic Mercedes I had and never had to do it twice. But there was the oily residue on one of them. So since I am heading up to TN next week to take care of mom, I don't have the time to order the Bilsteins, let alone fiddling with warranty issues. Gotta fight the battles I have time for, I recon.

When I get back, I think I will seek out a small-time, locally owned (hopefully honest) repair shop to re-evaluate the front suspension.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Greetings from Baton Rouge. Yes, the roads here are trash.

If you have a free Sunday, they are not overly difficult to change. Save some money. Most major auto stores rent the tools for free as well.

OP
OP
E

earl.allen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Greetings from Baton Rouge. Yes, the roads here are trash.

If you have a free Sunday, they are not overly difficult to change. Save some money. Most major auto stores rent the tools for free as well.
Thanks! I am from Baton Rouge actually, but after 28 years in the military, we settled in Houma (Bayou Blue/Gray actually). I wouldn't do well in a big(ish) city.

I've done some front end work before, I hear it is easier and cost effective to change the entire control arm in this model. Sort of like my old German models. If I keep this truck, I will probably do just that. This is my very first truck and I fell in love with it when I picked it up in 2017, but it is a 2008 model regular cab and I've been itching to upgrade to a four-door... something in the 2019-2020 range.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha! Bigish is a good way to put it compared to the rest of our state. Traffic is a nightmare for sure.

For a 16 year old truck, replacing the upper is not a bad choice. Rubber has some more life but will deteriorate prior to the following boll joint. Plus it’s possible to damage an arm with multiple changes. Least in a Chevy you can. Replacing the entire arm is easier and quicker.

Hate you are wanting to part with a regular cab. Not many left. Some dealers in our area have fantastic deals if you are willing to buy new. Matt Bowers and Ralph Sellers in Gonzales to name a couple. They even carry a few classics. Personally not up to date with the used car market.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
I had the front end on my one ton Ford rebuilt at 160k miles by my favorite independent shop. They used quality parts with grease fittings. Good for another 200 k miles.

Senodil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
Cummins
Just did mine last weekend on a 2500, not a terrible job but definitely time consuming the first time/side. Second side went much quicker but watch a few videos. I made a few mistakes changing mine and didnt follow the videos exactly, not taking off the top spindle nut first completely costed me a while, and if the 1500 is like the 2500, uppers are cake and lowers can be a bit time consuming. I bought Kryptonite ball joints, have been around for years and $200 with a lifetime warrantee..... Good luck

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Folks,

Earl Allen,
Houma, LA
All four ball joints at once after 42K?? I'm on my third Ram 1500 with over 100K and the front suspension components check out each yearly inspection.

I've had too many negatives experiences with national brand tire and muffler shops, especially with unethical up-sell. My advice would have a dealer or independent shop verify their diagnosis.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 109207 miles.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Moog sells a few levels of ball joints. The level that I purchased and installed after 65k miles had grease fittings. If you have serviceable ball joints and they aren't serviced, they actually are more prone for failure than service-free ball joints. Do your moog ball joints have grease fittings? If so, did you grease them periodically?