Battery drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dick strough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 01 1500 Laramie battery is dead after sitting 3 days. A test light between the battery terminal and cable lights up. I pulled all fuses on side of dash, light stays on. Under hood in the black box beside the battery I pulled the 50amp fuse labeled battery the test light goes out. The truck starts with the fuse out, runs 3 sec. then dies. Starts each time then dies. Headlights ect. work with fuse out. So my question, what does this fuse operate that is draining my battery? Thanks, ****

george wellburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
My 01 1500 Laramie battery is dead after sitting 3 days. A test light between the battery terminal and cable lights up. I pulled all fuses on side of dash, light stays on. Under hood in the black box beside the battery I pulled the 50amp fuse labeled battery the test light goes out. The truck starts with the fuse out, runs 3 sec. then dies. Starts each time then dies. Headlights ect. work with fuse out. So my question, what does this fuse operate that is draining my battery? Thanks, ****

OP
OP
dick strough

dick strough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks George, haven't unplugged the alternator, will tomorrow.

OP
OP
dick strough

dick strough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unplugged and unbolted both wires, test light still on. Seems the fuse runs a lot more than I knew such as Ign. cylinder, int. lights, radio, power mirrors, map/dome lights ect. I'll keep on checking.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
One thing to do, is make sure you wait for a while before you test so the ECU is shut down. Also, make sure there isn't a light on under the hood compartment or that the doors aren't open keeping a light on as that will create a current draw and light your test lamp. Make sure nothing is plugged into your cigarette lighter as well. Sometimes its as simple as a dome light on that you never notice.

When it's all said and done, it might not be anything draining your battery. Might just be a bad battery (dead cell or old) and it just can't hold a charge for more than a couple days. If you have a volt meter, check the voltage with the engine off. Should be 12.3+ (if not - bad battery or charging system). If the battery is good, check the voltage while cranking, it should not drop below 9.9 volts (if so - bad battery), then check the battery while running, should be 13.8+ (if not - bad charging system).

Good luck and let us know what you find.

OP
OP
dick strough

dick strough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Give the ECU 2 hrs. wait time, light still on. My battery is a yr. old. Battery showed 12.8, cranked at 11 and 14.3 running. I,ll find the drain by elimination, just running out of things to eliminate! Thanks ****

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Give the ECU 2 hrs. wait time, light still on. My battery is a yr. old. Battery showed 12.8, cranked at 11 and 14.3 running. I,ll find the drain by elimination, just running out of things to eliminate! Thanks ****

Well damn.... At this point all I can do is wish you luck. Sounds like you might have to start pulling wires off of all the devices that big fuse protects, one at a time.

OP
OP
dick strough

dick strough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've let the truck set 4 days, starts right up. I guess all the un-plugging and poking around must have temporarily fixed the problem.

Reactions: Mop