Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Battery replacement choices...

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by 78Staff, Aug 11, 2019.

1. John Jensen

John Jensen Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Ecodiesel
    The Advanced Auto Parts AGM was my first choice until I found the Bosch on sale at Pep Boys. What swung me was the Bosch was cheaper and is better rated with more CCA Amps.

2. rubes7202

rubes7202 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
  3. Sheriff Justice

Sheriff Justice Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L V8 HEMI
    The original in my ‘14 Ram died @ 37 months (Nov ‘14 - Dec ‘17). No warning or indication, just stopped one cold morning. I have always changed out my batteries at 4 years so I was expecting several more months from the OEM. I thought about Odyssey but the local shops did not have them in stock. Sears (Diehard) was closing stores.

I purchased the Autocraft Platinum AGM H7 850 CCA. So far it has been solid and I paid about $180 after coupon. 3 year warranty. Autocraft cost me $80 less with 3 Y warranty vs 4 Y Ody. With all the electronics go with an AGM no matter what brand you choose.

4. 78Staff

78Staff US Navy Veteran Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    I knew about Johnson/Optima but wasn't aware of the Exide - well actually I was aware of the Sears debacle but I guess I had forgotten it was Exide. Optima used to be the sh$# until the whole Mexico deal.

O'Reilly's has 25% off over $100 right now so I will check them out - AAP is right down the road as well I'll stop in and take a look. Actually I've put several of those AAP Gold batteries in past vehicles without much fuss, now that I think about it.

Thanks all good thread good info here...

gofishn likes this.
  5. 78Staff

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    MSDS for O'Reilly's is indeed East Penn.

AAP doesn't list the MSDS online, but Bob the Oil guy says they are Johnson Controls/Exide - so probably going to rule them out. Everstart is the same.

Looking like the O'Reilly's or maybe make the jump to the X2.

6. 78Staff

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Last Q... I think :). So no issues with AGM in a truck? Have read a few posts on the Jeep forums about AGM's being designed to be charged lower (float charge) and need to be cooler than standard batteries, so 14v charging, hot engine bays can overheat them which leads to premature failing...

Valid concerns or urban legend?

7. crash68

crash68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    urban legend, they recommend a slightly higher charge voltage after use and the standard voltage for a maintenance charge.
    They will tolerate a wider range of temperature compared to a standard lead acid battery. They also don't self discharge as fast and will more durable to shaking and vibration.
    I had an Optima Red that I know was completely discharged 3 times from someone leaving the door open it was 9 years old when I sold the vehicle. It had no problems starting the vehicle after sitting for a week or two in the dead of winter.
    People have reported that Optima has gone downhill since then but I definitely recommend the AGM technology. As an FYI the factory battery in the EcoDiesel is an AGM. I'll probably replace it when the time comes with an Odyssey 49-950

McBroom and John Jensen like this.
  8. gofishn

gofishn Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Ram 1500 Express 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" Short Box
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
    What He Said.

AGM is what I run, in Everything.

9. 78Staff

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Gotch - that O'Reily's (East Penn) coupon was ship to home only it turns out, and I'd rather put my hands on it before buying to make sure I'm not getting old stock. I did find a 15% coupon for BP on the X2, plus a mail in rebate as well, so may just go that route, or with and Odyssey.

10. Badger 13

Badger 13 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2013 Dodge Ram 1500
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I also use AGM batteries in everything. The NAPA AGM battery is also made by East Penn.