Battery Terminal Circuit Breaker Installation for Superwinch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1stHEMI

Reaction score
I'm installing a winch on my trailer, and power will come from the battery on my 2018 1500 Sport. I'm going to wire in a harness that will allow me to plug the winch into a connector below the rear bumper. The winch includes a circuit breaker to be mounted at the positive battery post.

I watched a couple videos and wasn't fond of how others installed theirs (you'll see one in the video) so I decided to do my own modification and installation. This will work for front or rear mounted winches, or mounting a winch on a trailer like I'm doing. I'll post the wiring and winch installation in the Trailering/Towing Section, however, this installation isn't specific to the trailer so I'm posting it here and will link back to this installation when I finish the rest.

Parts:
1 - 3-inch 1/4-20 Carriage Bolt
1 - 1/4-20 Shouldered Nut
1 - 1/4-20 Barrel Nut (Coupling Nut)
4 - 1/4 Washers
1 - Superwinch Circuit Breaker

Tools:
10mm Socket Wrench
3/8 Open End Wrench
3/8 Socket Driver
Exacto Knife
Fine Point Sharpie

Installation:
I replaced the factory carriage bolt on the positive battery clamp with a 3-inch 1/4-20 carriage bolt, and secured it with a barrel nut. Then I mounted the circuit breaker to the extended bolt, and secured it with a nut.

I feel it's a much cleaner install, and keeps the circuit breaker within the side profile of the battery.